Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

maurice, follow up to photo

Poor Mike, he never gets' any respect, he's like the rodney dangerfield of the UK!

Maurice, at the very end of the gray feed pipe, what is that? it appears to be a slide valve. I see the ball valve for flow control, but is the gate valve so you can add additional units off ther same pump?

thanks for posting the pic!

Aesthetics

Lee: Better watch out. I got jumped on when I raised the aesthetics issue a few months back! Don't you know that all that counts is the fish?

I have no knowledge from experience, but I see no reason why your suggestion would not work just fine, so long as the means of return from the showers to the pond does not cause a loss of the high oxygen levels in some way. Somebody more knowledgeable on dissolved oxygen characteristics needs to jump in here. [Some may think my concern silly, but I do believe the oxygenation effect is one of the major benefits of the system. ]

My thought has been to have the showers at the head of a stream, so the showers could be hidden by shrubbery and the water tumble over some stones before entering the pond ... maybe a series of little falls?

I've also been concerned about not disturbing the neighbors with the sound of torrential showers 24/7. I had one complain about a tiny fall on my pond once ... of course, their 2d floor bedroom does overlook my pond. I can understand that at 2am it could be a problem on those nights when air conditioning is not needed. (That's not very often around here... almost always too humid to be without.) Using a stream would allow the showers to be distanced a bit without having as much enclosure in pipes or the pressure of a pump. But since you are thinking of piping to a waterfall, seems to me that would counteract any negatives of pressurized piping. ... if there are any. ... How nice it would be to have several acres to play with!

Jumbo
    Dick

The slide valve is there, as I understand, to enable you to assess the back pressure caused by the spraybar, i.e. if you can open the slide valve slightly without water coming out then there is no back pressure as the pipe is not full of water.

Mark

Jumbo

Aesthetics and noise

Yes agreed, not the most aesthetically pleasing units in the world however a little creative placement and they can be hidden, they don't have to be directly above the water surface.

Noise, likewise can't disagree, again creative placement/sheilding could lessen the noise.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Dick, if I had mounted the slide valve correctly (meaning upside down) you can open it a little to see how much water is inside (Holding a pressure or not). To me this is unimportant, as long as it is giving an even flow of water over the media.

But the slide valve, or other means of access is important, so that if/when the need comes, there is access to run a large bottle brush or similar up through the pipe to clean any blockage of the holes.

When I made the spray tube, I did not make enough rows of holes and found the water 'jetted' out too fast, so I drilled two extra rows of holes and all is fine and even.

Lee, that sounds a top idea. If I am pleased with the showers long term, I plan on fitting many sets on my indoor 2,500 galoon pond and linking up with the big outdoor pond. Pump up from outdoors, through the showers and gravity returning through 4" pipes back to the main pond.

Maurice.

Lee
    Sansai
    This is the exact query I have...

...What amount of oxygen is going to be gained or lost if the water is channeled back into a pond via a pipe system...

Please consider the question - if the water falls directly into a retension pond and it sits within the pond or pool for a long while, until it is again discharged by pump pressure thru a lengthy pipe system back into the pond; will it have lost all the benefits gained from the showers?

Does anyone know?

And, though beautiful in a commercial setting they would be pretty difficult to hide in a residential environment...unlike either a Nexus or a Bead Filter or even a Vortex, which can be dug into an underground chamber wherein the pond water is then level with the height of the water within the Nexus/Vortex or a far distance - with a bead filter.

I am very intrigued with the Bakki Shower, however, I still need to be convinced that it works in an environment other than within a commercial hatchery.

Lee

Grand Cayman

Jumbo
    I don't see how the benefits would be lost Lee.

The water in the holding vessel would be constantly re-aerated and and would have a constant flow of 'fresh' water. Where can the air go when it is in an enclosed pipe?

I don't think hiding really that hard is it? Some simple screening, etc etc to disguise, indeed it could be placed some distance from the pool entering a feeder stream return to the pond.

Lee
    Sansai
    Hummmm....

Lee

Grand Cayman

Jumbo
    Lee

Is that.....

Hummm.....yes Mark could be right

Hummm.....you are thinking about it

or

Hummm.....i've never heard such bull in my life :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

Mark

Lee
    Sansai
    In reply:

Hummmmm.....

Mark is most probably right. He is usually right. He is near always correct. He is incredibly insightful and bright. And, undoubtedly he is 'spot on' once again.

Lee

Grand Cayman

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast