Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

Lee, for some reason word has gotten out that you wanted to try Bakki Showers but use locally available materials. Oh heck the Mad Builder and I thought you could saw plastic drums in half non-longitudenally, drill the bottoms full of 3/8 inch holes, stack them up racks in some disguised palm fronded nearby building as any filter it is unsightly, put in layers of coral rock and pump large volumes of water over them, like, 3000 gph per stack. Just on the off chance it is the method not the media it might work.

Lee
    Sansai
    Hi "Girl"!

Lee, for some reason word has gotten out that you wanted to try Bakki Showers but use locally available materials.

Yes, you're correct. I had contacted Mr. M. in Japan and I had eagerly shared my Bakki Shower and Bacteria House interest with him - on the basis that his system does work and is the best filtration system since sliced bread.

However, in reading all the prior commentary on this thread, I am no longer one hundred percent certain of what he has 'banged his drum' about is that ideal. Or, that it, indeed does work.

Nonetheless, if the BH and BS does work - as promised, I will be the first person in this part of the world to install the tallest and most numerous number(s) of B.Showers, all filled to the brim - with B.House.

On the otherhand, if it is just all hype, I would like to have the 'Mad Builder' provide another viable alternative suggestion for me...on how to accomplish the near same thing with something that does work.

'Girl' - as you may have also seen in the Aquatic Eco catalogue, there is a pre-built commercially available trickle tower already 'pre-made' and not requiring any demand from my two left thumbs to install.

Oh heck the Mad Builder and I thought you could saw plastic drums in half non-longitudenally,

Please, what is non-longitudenally?

Is this a medical term? Or, perhaps it is one of the Mad Builder's Southern dialect coded statements?

drill the bottoms full of 3/8 inch holes, stack them up racks in some disguised palm fronded nearby building as any filter it is unsightly, put in layers of coral rock and pump large volumes of water over them, like, 3000 gph per stack. Just on the off chance it is the method not the media it might work.

I have now heard from three or four posters, suggesting that I might want to try some of our islands abundant (and, laying around 100% free) sun bleached coral rock as an potentially positive alternative media...

...Thus, if sun-bleaced coral rock does work as had been suggested...I will scour the entire Caribbean for every piece of similar sized bleached coral rock with which to start a new industry, wherein the Mad Builder and I will offer 'Coral House Rocki' media in competition to whomever are those now selling lava rock or whomever may be contemplating the sale of Bacteria House media.

On other hand, I am also considering installing three or four 'other' commercially available methods of filtration, as well, on my new pond.

Thus, it should be interesting to a large number within our hobby to then have the opportunity to see actual test results and qualify which of these now advertised four commercial systems that I shall soon use (on my new gigantic pond) shall be found as the most effective, as well as, the most efficient and most problem free...

Girl, don't you agree that when these results are made know, that this 'comparable' actual scientifically testedinformation will be of great importance to all pond and fish keepers everywhere?

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Lee you are such fun. You are indeed a humorist! And here I was imagining you as some sort of Swiss Family Robinson character isolated on an island rigging up filters out of charming bamboo pipes, overflowing coconuts and other found and primative articles.

A plastic drum sawed non-longitudinally would be the same as if you sawed a coconut around the axis opposite the little monkey face, or as a clam would be opened up, or as one of those one of those Calypso drums as the natives make from metal oil barrels, only deeper, the way one would cut a kiwi fruit in half but not a papaya.

Tosai

specifics

Lee, tell me three things about your new pond so I can figure out what to recommend:

1. How many gallons of water will the pond be?

2. Give me a rough idea of how many koi you plan to keep in the pond, so I will know total biofiltration load and stocking density to calculate what you need.

3. Do you want a filter hidden from view, or do you want it to visibly be noticeable when looking at the fish?

Give me those three things and I can then make reasonable suggestions, or, considering our mutual connections, ship you a filter of my own design which needs only minor final assembly.

understand that the U.S. source of B>H> material won't be available until
    thge end of next month. evidently Carl just got back from the UK where he visited it's use. any of our UK hobbyists involved with his visit? any feedback? was thinking he may have stopped by and saw maurice, mike s etc.....

Hi Dick,

Carl arrived here last Thursday morning, and left on Sunday. I took him to Mike Shaw's (EA) on Sunday night. He should be back home by now?

Anyhow... we visited the majority of the ponds running on Bakki Showers, and had one or two pleasant surprises along the way, none less than the pond of Nigel Freestone, which I hadn't seen before. This pond was one that I originally designed, and was destined to be about 6000 gallons plus filters. The plan was then changed, and the pond was built for Bakki Showers. It came out near 11,000 gallons, and has been running for nearly two months.

Carl did say that he was extremely impressed with all of the ponds he saw. I think he had a great time?

Mike.

End of next month? Good, then it will be the start of early summer in Texas and I won't have to wait so long for my experiments to cycyle.

SMG,
    I think your right, it will be better that way anyway. unless your going to set the showers up inside, outside temps while cool will make your water chilled. FYI for others not in texas's warm climate....if you set this unit up outside you'd better have heat to compensate for the cooling effect.

Lee
    Sansai
    Dear Roddy,

I apologize for the tardy response to your generous offer...I have been in Los Angeles for the past week and am now in the Admirals Club, flying now, back to Miami.

I appreciate your kind offer and I will provide you with all the details you had encouraged upon my return to Cayman. I would also like to send you the photos of the site and a 'rough' drawing I have made of where and how many filters I believe will be required for my new pond...to your fax or e-mail address (assuming I will receive same.)

Just for you to presently "ponder" - the excavation is approximately 45 feet long x 15 feet. Depth is now over (without flooring) 7" - 8". There will be an island for a large palm within the pond. Thus, excluding the "island" the quantity of this pond is approximately 35,000 to 43,000 US gallons.

As to the number of koi that I will obtain for this pond - is dependent upon my ability to control my "appetite" - however, it will never be over two dozen, at most.

Additionally, I shall add a half dozen plectocostomus and a handful of Chiclids.

Roddy, I am also anticipating the use of four Nexus's. Pre or post Vortex's. Extensive use of K1. And, I was also considering a separate bead filter for each surface skimmer (approxmiately 3)?

I will construct a high 'enuff wall to hide any unsightly filter equipement. And, I have also sketched in a modest sized water garden from which I hope to remove much of the nitrite, thru which I could return some of filtered water...which might also serve to reduce the total gallonage of the pond, as 'that' much water is difficult to obtain, eliminate and replace on a frequent basis within our country.

Further, I am planning to also excavate the filter area, so that any below water level filtration can be placed at 'water level' -

Therefore, the trickle tower is within the programme, as is a several water fall types of water returns.

And, yes. The pond will be 'concrete' block 'faced' smooth and then coated with some type of water proofing...three to four bottom drains and TRP's at various levels with reversable flow.

Roddy, I hope you and your other 'Southern' friend enjoy your upcoming holiday...

We'll talk soon. Write soon. And, again, I am grateful for your offered help...as I know I will need as much input and help as is available.

All the best,

Lee
    Grand Cayman
    (today, Los Angeles...airport)

Off Topic, but ... why the cichlids?

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast