Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

SMG.
    you know the more I get to watch you in action the better I like it! I think the question is tremendous, I'll tell you what if I was sick and I needed a nurse and I could have anyone I could name to take care of me because
    she does things exact, you'd be it!

Jumbo
    And SMG , Since we are gushing over you----
    You were correct and I was wrong! The importance of light as a stimulus to koi breeding conditioning is indeed right up there with diet and water temperature. My study of melatonin and the pineal gland function and reaction to light ( beyond Evan's by the way) has me eating some crow for dinner this evening. Good job! JR

PS I'm not just sucking up for a sponge bath either!

Well there is an about 30% difference between water overflowed and water actually changed so we have to define our parameters.

Yes, JR, my research is exactly why I changed from 150 watt spotlights for the Q 3 hour all night feeding festival to a single 40 watt refridgerator bulb and a directional hood for the Insectomatic.

You seem a bit diaphoretic. The nurse washes up from the bottom and down from the top, then gives the fellow fresh water and cloth and leaves the room.... unless he's unconcious but some may be faking.

Jumbo
    That's funny! I'm using a 60 wtt lifetime energy savers bulb in the indoor quarantine! Same reason but also I don't like to leave new koi in complete darkness as they can become jumpers if they hear noise or just decide to launch in an effort to find better accommodations!
    Gotta go I have some soap in my eye! That'll teach you to trust a layman to give his own sponge bath! JR

Lee
    Sansai
    Question? Why the Chiclids?

I have them in my present pond.

I was advised by Paul Radice of Angels Hatchery - Homestead, Florida to add a half dozen or so electric blue chiclids as they provide a beautiful sense of movement to the pond, as well as, they themselves remove many of the small unseen parasites from the pond water AND from the koi within.

I am told they are not recommended, however, for ponds that are not within the tropics as chiclids are a 'tropical' fish.

Whether any of the above is true or not, I don't really know.

However, those electric blue's (males "only" - as they are less 'feisty' of the two sexs) that I have in my pond, indeed, do add a bright flash of colour and I have not had a parasite invasion since putting them into my water.

I was also warned by another board that they are territorial and could harm my koi. However, I have seen no indication whatsoever that they are territorial - not even the slightest.

If you're not where the water freeze's over...I would encourage you to add them into your pond, as well.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Jumbo
    Aaahhh Lee, pardon me but isn't Paul a 30 year plus experienced Chiclid breeder? And makes a living primarily selling Chiclids! Get it?
    Sorry, I'll be nice now. JR

I've seen the same mix in hotel ponds on Mauii. The cichlids, all Malawi Zebra species inhabited the edges of the pond, males and females and Koi in the deeper regions. In some places there were also large albino channel catfish in with them. All seemed to get along fine.

rgds BERN

Lee
    Sansai
    Dear JR,

Sure, one with a devious mind (I am not suggesting that you have a devious mind, only that someone with a devious mind) might "assume" that because Paul sells chiclids that he sold me a half dozen.

However, he also sells Koi. And, some other 'fancies' that have names too long for me to chance spell correctly.

And, yes...maybe he did sell these half dozen chiclids (to me) as they offered a profit.

However, I would stronly defend Paul and Judy by adding that whatever they've ever sold me, as well as, whatever advice they've ever provided to me - has improved the quality of my pond and those inhabiting it.

Therefore, I'd defend his recommendation to sell these few chiclids to me as a wise decision. And, I don't think he is going to be able to retire on their total price (I think they were twenty or thirty dollars each.)

Jim, I think you're only showing concern 'cause you know that my pond water is now reading a toasty 75.6 and that your's is probably frozen over...and, if you had the same chiclids as I, looking as lovely in your pond, as in mine, that your chiclids would be bright blue frozen lollypops (if they inhabited your pond).

Incidentally, I flew up to Miami last week-end for the Miami koi show...I am truly sorry you weren't there. The setting at Fairchild Gardens in Coral Gables was really beautiful. And, the show small, but nicely done.

When are you off to see Thom in Phoenix?

Did I write, Phoenix?

I meant Grand Cayman - to see Lee.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Jumbo
    Yes Lee, I was just being mean. Paul is a nice guy and has a very nice family. Haven't been to his place in ten years but he was getting his koi from Joel back then.
    I am indeed over in Arizona in Feb. and then down to Florida in march I wish I could have seen the florida gang this last time around but it was just too much out of town time for me.
    I love the Caymans and I would love to be there! But the koi are OK at a nice 52 F right now! You know they like 68 F - 78 F best of all! Best, JR

Tosai
    Lee

I think you will never experience any problems with your Fryeri's as long as you keep male's only, guess you have a tremendous growth rate feeding them Koi diet.
    I would have loved to do the same thing but our climate does not allow that :cry: matter of fact I think I would made a cichlid only pond then I wouldn't have to go to Malawi for diving How about some red zebra females grazing your pond wall :lol:

Lars

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast