Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

Jumbo
    Dick

The custom tray is just to go on the bottom of the showers to return the water back to the pond they are on. They are not mounted directly over the water.

Bob has described my set up precisely.

With regards to your barrels, the only problem i see is distribution of water into the lower tray as the water will come out of the lowest point of the upper tray. If that makes sense.

There is approx 2200 gph going over my six plastic boxes and 45kg of media.

I will try to sort out some pics later on this afternoon.

Mark
    Mark Gardner

Jumbo
    Lee

My apologies if i took your comments incorrectly and wrongly accused you of sarcasm.

I'll take your comments as a compliment instead, thankyou.

Lee
    Sansai
    Mark,

My reply "was" meant as a complement...

And, whilst I recognize that we have never met, you should been familiar enough with my own postings to know that I would never have intentionally insulted you...or, anyone else for that matter.

Lee

Grand Cayman

Jumbo
    hey Lee,

Look on the positive side, you now passed 10 posts and made 'tosai' 8) 8) 8)

Maybe one day i'll be lucky enough to find myself in the 'Caymans' and we can meet in person.

Cheers

Mark

Mark? How many cubic feet are in 45 KG of the media?

From what I read a few months ago on the old board was that Mr. Maeda was having three or four trays in a stack and was pumping 3000 gph over the top tray's each square foot of area. He was turning over the pond volume every 1.5 hours.

Now, if the showers are unlovely and need to be hidden in the home koi setting, why not just use milk bottle crates? Why would one need something like that if you are just going to hide it in an outbuilding? I this a guy pride thing like having a really shiny undrivable car in the garage?

Comments for Bob H. and SMG

Bob,

Thanks for your input on what you saw at Mark's. It's all helpfull! I was thinking of stacking four trays or half barrels .But like mark I was abit skeptical about the barrel ideal because of the depth and flow dynamics

being strongest in the center or deepest part of the barrel.

SMG

Hi! Well it looks like we're getting closer to D-day with the arrival of the media. I too am unsure of the amount of media needed to fill a tray so

if someone can break it down it'd be appreciated. I understand that the trays are filled about 2/3rds full. I think there are two tray sizes one i know is 80 cms but not sure what the other size is. I've seen them pictured side by side but only one size is priced on the Momotaro web page. Will be anxious to see how you set yours up in your comparison

test.

From what I can figure by looking at the pictures the media is about a foot deep in the trays. So 3000 gph falling over each top tray square foot and falling down through, say, three trays would be 1000 gph per cubic foot, or 10 times the 100 gph per cu. ft. max rate for a nitrate stripping TT.

Tosai
    SMG, I successfully strip out nitrates to levels below 1 ppm in highly stocked ponds at flow rates as high as 500 gallons of water per hour per cubic foot of media volume in my trickle towers. So your guideline for nitrate stripping does not apply to most of my trickle towers. I wonder where you came up with that number anyway?

question for those who visityed momotaro

I have a question for those who visited Momotaro's and REALLY looked over the showers. did anyone find out what amount of water change he uses in his ponds? I understand he has an open system and HIGH water change rate. Anyone have a handle on that?

Dick: I believe Brian said it was 10% per day of fresh in-flow .... not necessarily a water change.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast