Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

Quote Originally Posted by shiromujigirl
    Hi Hudi. How good to see you here. Thank you for coming in to talk about these interesting systems. The love of koi does unify the world.

I have a male show fish pond, 4,000 gallons, plus 800 gallons in the filter system, it has a pump stupidly before the settling tank, which flows to an upwell tank containing a case of Springflow and thats it. It has 10 koi in it, three 29 inchers, five 26 inchers, and an 18 inch in it, and the water is gin clear liike floating in air. It is totally shaded, the water temp is 80F. The filter is coming four years old.

The Bakki Shower experiments here at Area 51 in Texas running since March are also totally shaded, same temp, same feed rate, and if I don't flush a lot of water through it is murk water, healthy murkwater but murkwater.

Doug, I am kind of still thinking new pond syndrome. Lets not give up so soon.

Lots of people are using the BS as an add on system. I want to see what they can do by themselves, outside, with "normal" stocking rates.
    Mee tooo. Normal OVERSTOCKING rates
    I never give up , M.
    I just want "someone who claims" to state the facts, after the test..
    If this thing takes that much time to cycle what is a poor S>O>B ,in the arctic, like Childers to do ?

I'm in the tropics so nooo biggie.Still dont work at the normal highly overstocked rates of the average Koi Nut. I can toss something together that WILL, for those folks.

If someone is directed to this mythical contraption,and in-accurate, promotional, blathering, and lives in the North, they will be unhappy campers.
    I'm surprised " Boob" hazznt put it on 95 web sites.. I may have underestimated him.....

Hey ! An AS with a Bakki !

:twisted:

Tosai
    Hi,

I'm impressed of the large number of replays about the BS and the BH.

I don't know anyone in Germany or Austria who has one, but when I look here in this treah, i think, nerly everyone of you guys has one?

Is this correct?

Greetz Nico

Not at all... that doesn't mean that we aren't all interested to see how this pans out with Shiro's little experiment.
    B.Scott

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Here's a new one for you.
    My new pond, 14,000 UK gallons has at present minimal filtration, as playing breeder has put the pond at home on the back boiler.

No UV's are fitted and the water for months has been pea green. The pond is in full sun all day, with no let up. 3 weeks ago I added 20kg of Bacteria house media to a spare trickle tower and put it on the pond.

At the time you could not see the koi at a foot depth. I can now see the bottom drains. The water still looks a little yellow, but it's still improving.

You tell me???
    Maurice.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    My new pond, 14,000 UK gallons has at present minimal filtration, as playing breeder has put the pond at home on the back boiler.

No UV's are fitted and the water for months has been pea green. The pond is in full sun all day, with no let up. 3 weeks ago I added 20kg of Bacteria house media to a spare trickle tower and put it on the pond.

At the time you could not see the koi at a foot depth. I can now see the bottom drains. The water still looks a little yellow, but it's still improving.

You tell me???
    Maurice.
    20kg for a 14,000 Uk gallon pond and you are getting discernable results!
    If thats the only change ,nothing else added to water,its incredible !
    will be great if you could update on progress..water,bateria house apperance,koi conditions,etc. BTW how is stocking density ?

Thanks Hudi

for your follow up. Obviously some people are wildly sucessful while others are not. something is being lost in translation. your right to ask for details cause we've got to put something together that makes semse!

I was surprised when I got home from the portland show that my outside bioball bakki had shown some improvement. 4 thousand us gals,1- 24 inch koi and three 10 inch ones is stocking "load".

this is week 5 and the water cleared another foot dispite 100 F temperatures the last few days! the pond is prefilter with a BB and backwashed every 3-5 days.

we really need to narrow down on what makes the difference. We've got Maurice and SMG who I trust explicitly with opposite end reports!

We need details!!!!

[quote="hudi"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice

You tell me???

Maurice.
    Ok. Take out the BH, Replace with lava, or bio balls, report back in 3 weeks.
    If the results are near identical...someone got screwed....

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Doug, I've do not have any time for experimenting right now. I'm just posting what has happened in the pond. I've no idea if the media has anything to do with what has happened, but nothing else has been changed and I can't see how a pond of a few months old could be rid of green water in such a short space of time without a UV.
    I've posted what has happened, to be logged in peoples minds, just to see if there is any chance of this happening in other situations.
    Maurice.

Green water in a new pond will clear on its own when the biofilter kicks in. Has to do with the bacteria out-competing the unicellular algae for free ammonia, the preferred food of both. But, having the algae clear simultaneously with the BS/BH addition seems a very fortuitous coincidence ... degassing effect, plus additional surface area may have been just what was needed for the growing bacterial community to be able to outcompete. [This topic gets very complex & no time now to go off in that direction!]

Maurice? What is the temp in your pond please? in farenheight for we primative American dummies.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast