Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: bakki towers

Mike, no it's not oyster shell, it's Bacci House Media.

Interesting to note from Marks picture, the shower on the left is covered with a plastic sheet.

This is because that pond was being treated and they wanted to prevent any cross contamination from the splashing. This I think is something all potential shower users should consider and is something I haven't seen considered on the various shower threads on the various boards.

Jumbo
    Life really is one big learning experience, you know I honestly had no idea why that was covered over until now. Cheers Andrew.

The milk cases are certainly an inexpensive alternative for the DIY'er. If exposed to sun & elements, the plastic breaks down over a few years. There would also be structural integrity issues, I think. But, for using the BH media, the only short term negative I can think of is algae growth on the media due to light exposure. If someone is going to try this, I'd suggest looking for a way to block sunlight w/o blocking air exposure.

Thanks mark,andrew and mike....

good pic ,thoughts and comments it's like getting down the the final few pieces in a jig saw puzzel and the picture is beginning to take shape!

When I say cross contamination, that of course only apply's if you have an adjacent pool to be cross contaminated, as Momotaro do!!

For us hobbiests, with single pools/ponds, the concern still apply's though. Who would want, for instance, PP treated water splashing on the deck or patio?

Has anybody else noticed how popular this post is.

Over a 1000 views already.

rgds BERN

A very popular thread indeed! Once I get some of the image and upload code sorted out on this server, posts like these should become a lot more feature rich. (I hope!)

Having good subject matter to begin with is what makes for a good topic/thread, and this one seems quite hot! :wink:
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

It's interesting stuff alright, but I've been so busy the last few days trying to add to my new Bakki Shower web page, that I haven't contributed much to this! ;-) Have been watching though, and thought that all was going well without me being needed ;-)

Mike, as for the algae growing on the media... this isn't a problem, as only the very top exposed parts of the very top layer will go green. If you picked up one of these pieces to look at it, only about the upper 30% would be green, the underside would be spotless, as would the layers underneath. Also, strangely enough, as the media gets older, it actually runs cleaner. It seems common for the top layer of the top tier to get very dirty initially, but after about 12 weeks, it seems that the bacteria starts working on this, and gets rid of it.

Mike.

Jumbo
    A few days for one web page?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Come along Mike must improve productivity :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast