Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Asagi Breeding 2004

Hello Maurice,
    these Sanke fry look quite promissing, congratulations! Not sure whether the parents are the same featured in your web page last breeding season, are they the same?
    You are dealing with very big numbers of fry! This season I spawned four females, three of them were experimental spawning induction using Ovaprim. Wanted to master the technique.
    But I'm raising fry just from another female, going down to around 30000, then roughly 5000, then around 1000 and right now around 100 fry. Which again will be reduced to around 50 whithin the next couple of days. I'm doing it in a way of "art for art's sake", and under severe space constraints (a small pond of 1350 liters). My fry are now ranging from 4 to 9 cm, they eat like beasts and grow really well. We have maximum temperatures of up to 46 C degrees and the water temperature up to 31 C degrees!
    Yes, the number of fry I'm raising are very small, but enough to fully appreciate the huge amount of work that a serious selective breeding program really involves. So I wish you all the best with your breeding activities,
    Diego
    Diego Jordano
    Cordoba, Spain
    A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
    pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Diego, I'm pleased you have found us here, thanks for the links you sent a while back.
    Sounds like your roof top breeding is going well this year?

The sanke I used for this spawning is very special and not the same one as last year. She is from Momotaro and hope to produce a few reasonable keepers from her. My mud pond size is a compromise, as space is not unlimited. Using big females leads to problems with numbers. This leaves me with small fry for the first cull, then they have to play catch-up.

Maurice.

Maurice: What an attractive parent! May all her children have her tsubo sumi.

Was out at the blueberry farm today to sort and move the asdagi to bigger facilities. one group looks like dad and one like mom.

the narumi are basically white with red pecs. the reverse have the prettiest blue backs. Interesting.

The kohaku are up to an inch and a half and patterns are beginning to become distinquishable. Didn't find any white ones in the simbetsu but did find a few all red ones. some breeders hang on to a few but mine were offed!

not seeing anything good in the way of kohaku patterns yet on the sanke. they are not growing as fast as I'd like.

Was surprised how big the ochiba's are getting, close to an inch already.

the yamabuki long fins are closer to 5 inches. nice sheen on the koi.

nothing to brag about with showas. good body and ok size but heavy false black covering up beni pattern so will have to wait and see.

The shiro and ginrin shiro are to die for. nice growth fabulous bodies.
    active feeders.

the blueberries by the way are dwindling down to the end of the season.
    one of our parent kohakus in the grow pond for females eats them out of my cupped hand by the mouthful. she'll be disappointed soon. The old
    story of you are what you eat doesn't seem to be working.....blue on a kohaku....gee that would make it an ai-goromo! Too bad it Doesn't work!
    Oh well back to the drawing boards!

Hi Dick,
    very interesting comments! It would be great to see pictures of those fry you are describing. I's is a pity that time is always too short when dealing with fry, usually is impossible to do all the things we would like to do.
    Seem that your fry are developing well, some doing better. Great!
    You have commented upon showas that they are showing "heavy false black covering up beni pattern so will have to wait and see...", and this appreciation catched my curiosity. I think I understand what you mean, but could you please explain?
    Btw, I like Asagis very much too, but it is almost impossible to find them here in Spain. So far I've seen just one, very nice indeed, that came in a group of small Koi that a friend imported. Besides, I have heard that usually the colors change (to the worse) as they grow...
    Thanks for keeping us posted and good luck!
    Diego

Hey Dick! I decided to bring your thread back to the top. You commented in another that you have mainly reverse asagi among the fry, but that a few narumi are there. The big question: can you tell if they gained robustness from the cross? We'd all love to a pic of the swarm in the pond.

At this stage Mike it's hard to tell about any robustness. I will try and get a school photo as well as individual shots after this weekend. I'm flying off to spokane to do some benching and enjoy their show. Then when I recover the first of the following week I'll get to it!

Nisai
    dick,

I am thrilled to read all your updatess, especaially from a fellow asagi enthusiasts who lives so close to my home town.

When I finally return home to Vancouver I will definiately pay you a visit, and hope you still have lots of reverse asagi for me to pick a few to take back north of the border.

Have you heard of any other breeders besides Otsuku who produce reverse asagi? It might be worth my while to find some that are not related to yours while still in Japan.

Fry
    Fascinating thread, but I don't see a single photo. What happened to them?

Bumping up for Quinton.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast