Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asagi Breeding 2004

SMG
    I will have to talk to Sue and See when they're gonna be ripe to pick. the strawberries are coming on early this year.

Mike,
    He'll make a big change to lighten up in about 3 months in the right water. From my experience if you have hard water stay away from asagi's shusui's hariwake's and midori. it's too heart breaking to work to get a good one then watch them go downhill in your pond. that was interesting about your guppy experiment!

There are baby asagi's swimming as of today. They're about the size of a nose hair. The temps have been dropping so we keep adding the temps up with adding more aquarium heaters to the show tanks. Will spend more time at the blueberry farm monday!

Nisai
    dick, i am really happy for you. and as an aspiring asagi breeder myself, enthraled with your endeavour.

i hope you can arrange or post pictures before durring and after the culls, to show us what you are keeping and what you're not. i am keen to learn all i can from your experience.

I am also keen to see photos of your reverse when it lightens up, as the fish i thought was a reverse asagi i saw at otsuka's last fall looked a lot different than yours, but perhaps it was not.

Always good to hear from a fellow Asagi enthusiast. I got my son to post an avitar for me of my kindai showa from Igarashi Kazuto. So I quess that means I haven't given up on my love for other varieties yet!

The beauty of simbetsu with asagi is you have nothing to go by the first
    year except the red. Red is the key. the less of it the better. a few red
    scales on the belly is what you keep. if it's a tosai with red up the lateral line and blue asagi han coming on the back already, it'll never cut it in the years ahead.

Brian from KB says he will be doing some articles from Hosokai and otsuka so we have something to look forward to.

Dick: I would have guessed that you would also cull very dark specimens at some point in the first year. (Shows what I know!)

Nisai
    Both Hosokai and Otsuka ? Fantastic!

Well I must apologise to those who expected to see some more photos. I diddn't have anything left after culling thru the shiros and showas. It took most of the day and it was all I could do to stand erect afterwards.
    the shiro yield was low this year. too bad too as the two year olds from the
    last spawning are turning out just super.
    the production on the showa was better than the shiros. They are only a few days younger in age yet the shiro's are twice the size already.
    The blueberries will be coming on early this year,by the way. The baby asagi's are so plentiful. they do raise up to get fed already but are not much bigger than a nose hair. I will split the spawn in two and place in different growth areas. It will be two months before I begin the selection process. It takes that long before you have anything to compare. Asagi breeders are about the unluckiest breeders of all kinds as the babies are so non discript that you have nothing to compare by. maybe because it's so difficult and no body else loves this kind that makes me want to be sucessful at it.
    the long fin babies are coming along fine. it will be a couple of months before finnage and sheen will be apparent so i can divide them. I have yamabuki and platinum ones of those growing. this week will see the kohaku and sanke spawned. I will be trying a new male with the kohaku
    and the female and male will be new for the sanke. I just have a good feeling about the sanke this time. I learned something from last year's pairing. we'll see. at least this year I'll know what to select. last year having never spawned them I diddn't know what to look for after they just hatched!
    I got a look at some of the matsukawabake babies in the growth pond from last year. My oh my, they are really growing. some are practically all white and others all black. one with a pattern like a classic kumonryu
    had beautiful black. I don't think I need to breed more , so mom might get the year off. I.m looking for a different male for her next time. I want an old style really black goshiki gin rin. can't find one.
    well about all from tales (tails) from the blue berry farm!

Well, Saturday I'm off to the blueberry farm to separate the asagi's and maybe the longfins to bigger quarters. I quess feeding those growing mouths has been a real chore for my friend Sue. (she has her own family and now a grand daughter as well)
    At this stage we are using daphney, some liquid fry food and as soon as some more brine shrimp eggs arrive via the post, some of those little rascals. the shiros are the first born and biggest of the bunches and some of them now are up to 1/2 " in length. the weather here in the great? Northwest has been rainy and cool so we could do with a strong heat wave to kick start the growth and keep it going. more later

Dick how about some pics

How many have you culled them down to? How many were there to start? I have a few spawnings that will happen soon in the mud ponds and it will be interesting to try culling down to 25 per bunch I don't know how I can do that. I know it can be done.

I would like to see some pics of the fry at the different stages would that be possible?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast