Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Asagi Breeding 2004

Thanks Coach!

from those shots you had posted from the BKKS, we'll have to take your word for it!

Are you back home safe and sound? Would you mind sharing your reflections for us less fortunate about your trip?

Well I slipped down to the farm to move toby's and found the asagi babies at 2 1/2 inches already! I've decide this weekend to make the first simbetsu. I will save only the all white ones as the yellow is definetly color and the patches are getting bigger. The sanke babies are a trip!
    looks like 100% true to type spawn. first time ever! ( bluebberries are about a week away from harvest ) I'm going to combine and cull the showa and shiro hatches this weekend as well. many are close to two inches now and i need the space. I slipped a dozen kohaku babies in to the lilly sale pond and they have shot up to 3 inches now. Amazing what live food and uncrowded conditions mean to growing fry! so I will be cutting my numbers greatly! the baby ochibas are nose hair sized as they are just 3 days old! I diddn't get to breed the kumonryu, matsukawabake and gin rin ki matsuba this year! well so much for my blueberry tails for the week. next week maybe I can get some more photos and find another willing poster. ( still no word from dan and his computer)!

Wow, I am weary today! I got the showas, shiros and asagi's done till next time. I will get Jason to post. I took some pics and we'll see how they turned out. Showas were ahh, so=so! Shiros were fabulous and asagi had lots of big red ones not so many quality large ones. I did see a few reverse looking ones like dad. One longfin, I check on was 4 inches!
    Well more details later after Jason gets them posted if I got anything. You'll be surprised what i found in the shiros!

Tategoi
    I think these are the asagi pics. The tancho in the shiro pics threw me. You'll see...

Tategoi
    I think these are showa.

Tategoi
    I think these three are the shiro utsuri lot. The tancho really threw me; it was in the same bowl as the other two but I cropped the pictures to show it separately. Cropping the pix should allow us to focus on the fish without any image degradation due to image resizing (the board only allows 640x480 max).

Hi Dick and Jason,
    The pics are very good and you can clearly see which are which except for the Tancho which I have no clue how it will turn out.
    How old were the fry when these pics were taken?
    Were they grown in the mud pond or concrete pond.
    I can see some very nice Showa amongst them.
    I cannot wait to start spawning here, you got me very excited now.
    It should be possible for me to start early October when the water temps reach 20c.
    Well done. :wink:
    Jaco.

Hi Jaco,
    there is something about breeding koi, that "gets in your blood". The expectation of selecting pairs and then the realization of the young when they "click" or the disappointment when they don't!
    To Jason, Thank-you, your cropping and enlargement of what you were given so that others can get some idea of what they're seeing is appreciated.

These koi are raised in artifical ponds and not mud ponds to answer jaco's question.
    the first two pics are of the asagi, closing in on 3 inches. the lighter white bodies one is what your looking for but too much red on the head really. but you can see the difference. most of my really big nice ones were red! thru out the body as well.
    the next shots were of the showa and difficult at this stage to see anything. we'll have to wait on them.
    The last three shots were of the shiros. this pair clicked two years ago and spawns wonderful koi from a quality,pattern and body build stand point. Back in the rebuilding of the shiro bloodline, after they had fallen from disinterest with the emergence of showa, showa bloodline was introduced. this actually helped the black but also put some color into the shiros. last year I got two so-so tancho showas from my shiro spawning. this year three and the one pictured may have some possibilities. you can't tell it from the photo but in the group shot of the three shiros the one with kuo kuchi (black dot on mouth ) is gin rin and a good one!
    As I write this, my spouse is rustling around in the kitchen with breakfast. Buckwheat pancakes loaded with fresh blueberries from the first commercial picking yesterday! let me know if there is any questions I can answer

went back over the posting and needed to add some things. jaco had asked at what age these koi were at. the asagi are 6 weeks. the showa 7 weeks and the shiro 8 weeks.

the picture of the two shiro's the gin rin is actually the one on the bottom left. Also look at the different kinds of sumi on the shiros at this stage. the babies (shiros) are physically about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches long.

I like that white asagi, Dick. I see what you mean about too much red, but looks like a fun one to watch. I'm wondering about the chances of the Hi fading, since it is on the upper surfaces of the head and not so much that I can see below the lateral line. Any thoughts on that?

On the Showa ... from the pics it seems the Hi has a little brownish tone now. Is that accurate? Nice Kohaku pattern coming up on that one.

[BTW, I saw that the dealer with the whitish asagi we chatted about a few months back finally sold some. I was beginning to wonder.]

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast