Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Maurice! Fines filtration

Sure Dick,
    This the static kaldness page but you might want to look at the rest of the site. Maurice has done a excellent job and I found it all quite interesting!
    B.Scott

http://www.koi-uk.co.uk/mechanical_f...capable_of.htm

I find the K-1 does trap a lot of fines and use it in some home made filters. Two of the three Nexus units we run have the use of static K-1 and they also trap alot of crap after the Answers.
    Having three running answers 24/7 I don't find they put much of a dent in the electric bill. Not sure what other countries pay for electricity but we pay 5.5 cents per kilowatt hour at the most. Our electric bill for the year was about $1800 and that includes a house of five with an electric water heater, cooking and all the lights that never get turned off. Got a nasty pool pump still running with two more sequence pumps and two submersabiles also incuding 120L air pump followed by two 80L air pumps all running 24/7. Two oil fired furnaces and a well pump that runs hours a day. Tis the season and now christmas lights. I do think it sounds like we get a deal compaired to some places? I sure do love the answers though as they cut back on a heck of alot of work and time.
    What a great idea with the mechanical filter vortex static k-1 unit, the Maurice 2000 ? Got to make me one for christmas.

Regards Ian

thanks B. Scott. good stuff. will not be that hard to accomplish. just need to cover the drain. I have been draining my vortexes every day, wonder what maurice does with the static kaldness preceeding his bios. Always wanted to do ro water but is not in the budget!

Ian,

Here in Europe I pay (@ the present exchange rate) about 24 cents a KW. Tell me how you would feel about a $7850 electricity billl. That's how big it would be here. Time to look at static kaldness?
    B.Scott

Quote Originally Posted by B.Scott
    As toime goes by the hobby improves and we get better. Thats why we don't use gravel filters anymore.

B.Scott
    Good one. I've been trying to convince my father that gravel filters are a thing of the past. Might have been the thing during his time (40 years ago), but I guess its hard to teach old dogs new tricks. At least my old dog. Hahaha.

Fry

Nexus conversion

It would seem to also be a viable conversion in a Nexus. Would need a plate for the drain, maybe one for the inlet. A slotted stand pipe where the Answer goes and an air ring.
    I know the static K1 in the outpet of the Nexus collects a lot of fines, although I made a new plate for mine where the K1 can not get into that area. I simply leave it empty as I have a Aquabead directly after the Nexus and didn't really feel the need to have an additional maintenance task.
    Doug

Good point Doug. I think it would be quite easy infact. I doubt you would need a screen by the inlet as they would only float up the channel if the flow stopped and any screen would catch the crap. You would want to make an adaptor of sorts so channel the water down to the bottom and extend the pipe the answer normally sits on to the top. Nice thing about trying this in a nexsus is if it doesn't work you can put it back like it was and bung the K1 into the filter itself.

Akai-san you mostr definately want to convince Papa-san that a gravel filter is not the way to go.
    B.Scott

I'm slowly breaking him down but hey...if my papa-san wants to build HIS pond that way, thats up to him, as long as he doesn't call me to come to his house and unload HIS dirty gravel. He likes plants and he thinks thats the only way to work plants into his setting while trying to address water quality. He is hard headed that way. I'm not too worried, he'll still need my help to build the pond...

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Back from the trip, wow what a great time!

The Jap mat disc was only on the prototype, it's no longer used as maintenance is excessive. So that is why I started using the slotted pipe. The slots are made as large as possible, just slightly smaller than the width of the media.
    As I said earlier, it is so easy, I don't even get my hands wet.

I've loads of pictures from the trip, if I can upload them from here I'll try and post a couple till Brian tells me off for going off koi!!!
    One week to go, then it's off home to the cold.
    Maurice.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Looking forward to taking up where we left off as soon as you return.

Cheers
    B.Scott

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast