Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Maurice! Fines filtration

Sorry, newbie question: When using this Kaldness setup, during flushing/cleaning of Kaldness, due to the location of the slotted pipe, does any of the dirty water get washed back into the pond? Or is there an isolation valve between the vortex and the pond?

If I'm thinking of using 40" vortex for heavy solids, then secondary vortex with kaldness media setup, where does the water from the kaldness media get pumped from? The cleaner top water? I see the slotted pipe more towards the bottom of the kaldness media, should this be located as high as possible in the secondary vortex chamber? Also, it looks like to minimize the amount of water for cleaning I will have to include a isolation valve between the primary and secondary vortexes...Hmmmm...Back to the drawing board.

if you read the post Akai-San you will see that he drops the water level below the slots on the pipe befoe appling the air.

Maurice,
    I gave you system a try but have had a few troubles.
    Here is a link to the details.

http://www.freebb.com/viewtopic.php?...leashedcou#601

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Scott, my design for outdoor use incorporates a grid under the media, but above the inlet water, thus keeping larger waste away from the media. The Eazy uses a full basket, which is even better. Your washing machine drum is just the job.

Over the last two weeks I have been commissioning 4 new showered ponds, with skimmer systems fed to static Kaldnes. To see the results is a real eye opener to the effectiveness of static Kaldnes used this way. Each of the concrete ponds has been filled from the same mud pond, the water is grey/brown (constantly stirred by grubbing koi in the clay), visability in this water is zero, with in a week and a half the bottom drain has become visable at 5' depth! Yet no visable particals can be seen in this water, it's just cloudy.

I still have one pond which has yet to get the static Kaldnes running (just wish I had a camera to show the difference).
    Maurice.
    PS my mate Mike Yume could come down with his camera tomorrow evening, if he is reading this, 5 or 6 oclock would be good, then we can go onto my unit to see how Ian's sanke is doing!!

Hey Maurice,
    Thanks for the complement
    I didn't see the grid in the pictures but I cab see where this would have helped. The other worry I had was about the outer edges or the Kaldness getting too little flow and possibly becoming anaeobic. With a basket/drum setup it tens to spread the flow over a greater surface area as well as improving circulation. This method would seen to put a greater flow through a smaller amount of Kaldness as well.

Inany case the system seems to be working great. Water look very clear at this pointand the money I am saving on power doesn't hurt either!

I'd me interested to see any pictures you can get Mikey to take of the new ponds. Always interesting!

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Scott, I have spent hours gazing at the water flow in these units, even at the outer edges, you can see the water heading for the center outlet.

No part of this system is, or can go anaerobic.

Mike did not see the message! As usual he arrived late, but only an hour or so!!

Maurice.

looking forward to any pics you can post for us maurice!

I've dug up an old camera and taken some photos. But have to wait for a new card reader to arrive, as the old one was in the laptop case when it was stolen.

Maurice.

Cant wait to see em Maurice and glad to see its all getting back to normal...thats if there is such a thing as ''normal''

Gazza

Tosai
    What type of grid did you use under the media maurice,will perforated sheet do the job,i gave the static a bash and ended up with pea soup in the pond.

Was trying to pull 3 g thru 50 litres of k1 in a 3 ft vortex and feel it was just mashing the big crap but a sheet below it would definatly sort this, keeping the heavies out.I to didnt spy the sheet below the k1 on your website.
    Thanks Paul.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast