Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Koi That Fail

These scary tales may not be quite what I had in mind, but they sure are interesting.

Bob: I had a Goshiki turn into a "not even white" muji some years ago. It happened when antibiotic food was being fed because one fish had injured itself and I thought I was being careful. I later came to appreciate that antibiotics can be risky. Another Goshiki sibling was unaffected. I've wondered if the antibiotic contributed to the color loss. Your tales make me wonder about it again. You mention anesthesia, but I'm guessing an antibiotic was used too.

Dale: Your story is really scary. ...Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to "Koi Horror Tales". Curious that the fading began at one end and proceeded along to the other end. I usually think of all the Hi being affected at the same time.

Mike,

In both cases no antibiotics were used, only topical treatment where required.

It is a real frustration when it happens though, both of these Koi were 'favorites' and Koi with future's. OK so I've found the reason - it's always the Koi you like best, so pretend you dont like them!!!!!

I don't have any personal pics but I do have couple from a friend of mine. I use this as a classic example of what can go wrong.

I saw a picture of this excellent kohaku and inquired how it was getting on. The picture above was a year old. Thus a period of 12 months had gone by.

The reply I recieved was "It isn't geting on at all." and it was accompanied by this picture

Very sad. Not only for the the money but for the loss of appearance of what was such a beautiful fish.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Am surprised to see that picture here! It's a blast from the past... one of 42 Koi that I bought from a Japanese ZNA judge, 41 of which arrived damaged! Most of the damage was old untreated damage... I was well ripped off! But, it was a long time ago, and a good learning experience!

Anyway, take a look at the next Koi-Bito magazine. "The 80cm Quest" is an article that is aimed firstly at growing Koi from Tosai to 80+ in hobbiests ponds, but also to demonstrate how seemingly minor points of a Koi, can result in the Koi 'going wrong' in the long term. Unfortunately, the article should have hit the last issue of the mag, but as I am so disorganised, it had to go into the issue which is due out now. So, sizes are about three months behind.

Mike.

Yeah I thought you would recognise this one Mike! Great example though, don't you think? Do you know who the breeder was?

B.Scott

Wink

I guess in the end we all take a 50/50 chance on what we buy. It's still fun to buy tosai or whatever age nishikigoi. I had alot of fish that didn't become what I wanted, but that's the hobby..

Hi Scott,

The breeder of that Koi was supposedly Wakabayashi.

I think that the odds are significantly improved, if you look at a prospective purchase with a very analytical eye. I'm not talking from an angle of patter, or where the pattern should or shouldn't be, but studying the Beni, skin, sashi, kiwa, and so on. You have to try and tear a Koi to pieces before buying it. But, bear the price tag in mind when doing so!

Mike,

So now I await your latest and the feature on asagi,heh? I have memorized all your articles on your web site by heart. Probably magic water is my favorite. I think the japanese refer to it as saki!

Tosai
    Here is a nice nidan Kohaku that went wrong. This Koi was purchased as nissai and was in the pond for about one year. After about a year, the window on the head appeared suddenly. It developed within a week or so. The red has not returned to the head and the Koi remains like this - a reverse Tancho!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi That Fail-twape-nov-04.jpg  

She was very nice, Dr. J. I see a maruzome-type kiwa on the first step, but not so apparent on the second step. Did she always have the maruzome?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast