Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Koi That Fail

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    What does a failed bekko become?
    A No-Step Kohaku!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Out of curiosity, Dale, do you still have the koi?
    No, I do not, but with my old pond and its limitations, I never kept a koi beyond, roughly size 4 (if that). Every 2-3 years I would given them away. To friends, kids, folks building new ponds, restaurants (not to eat but in their display ponds), folks who had lost their koi for whatever reason (as I did in Atlanta one year, gave away 6).

Interesting concepts

When it comes to tanchos, tosai is a risky age to buy as they can be quite susceptable to stress. I always suggest atleast aka-nisei. If tancho kohaku wait till fully 2. or you have nothing showable unless you think shiro muji might turn heads.

One of the nicest SU I ever saw was a magoi showa from INC my friends in spokane owned. I liked it better as an SU then I did as showa. Never considered it a failure, only something progressive.

Bekko question? talking sumi loss? Not near as likely as beni, but results the same as tancho kohaku, just a white fish.

When purchasing tosai tanchos always get a showa or sanke as a fall back to having something that can still be a "player".
    Dick Benbow

Fry
    i see so many people jump to blame the dealers ,genetics when the problem is just laziness and lac of research as to what that fish needs.
    just 20 years into it.
    some ponds, the kuhaku do better.
    the kumonru,i have a special pond for them .
    open your eyes ,if you can't play with the big boys stay on the porch,thats where i am.
    a koi gone south to me is a quest to find out why and not to blame it on people or god.
    god gave us the tools to create these beautiful fish .
    the same genetics that makes colors disappear creates these colors we just need to dig a little deeper.
    if a japan koi farmer read this thread they would laugh a such blamery.
    [blamery ] i made that up .

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
    i see so many people jump to blame the dealers ,genetics when the problem is just laziness and lac of research as to what that fish needs.
    just 20 years into it.
    some ponds, the kuhaku do better.
    the kumonru,i have a special pond for them .
    open your eyes ,if you can't play with the big boys stay on the porch,thats where i am.
    a koi gone south to me is a quest to find out why and not to blame it on people or god.
    god gave us the tools to create these beautiful fish .
    the same genetics that makes colors disappear creates these colors we just need to dig a little deeper.
    if a japan koi farmer read this thread they would laugh a such blamery.
    [blamery ] i made that up .
    I could not agree more.....

But is this not just life in general?

This can apply to anything we do in life.....

We do not all grow up to be President, Bill Gates or Jimmy Buffett......do we all have that potential? Either through genetics, environment, social factors, etc? Perhaps, Perhaps not.

Success is said to be "the step by step process to any worthwhile or meaningful thing...." It then goes on to say "worthwhile and meaningful thing to me," success is personal...

And nor do I play with the big boys, but I am not on the porch either...I play where I am comfortable and where it is enjoyable to me (my wife included naturally )

I am often asked by folks what I think of a koi.....And the first thing I do is to answer that question with another question, that being "Do you like the koi?", then "What do you like about the koi?"....They have to look at the koi everyday, they better like it....

But the individuals goals, successes, but most importantly the individual will dictate whether there is fail or not.....it is not for those on the outside to dictate or label what is a failure and what is a success. If one's goal is life is simply to derive happiness and enjoyment, how can that be a failure?

And Japanese breeders, at least in my opinion would not like the above scenario, as it would surely shrink their markets, etc...

But sometimes we need to look back, to know where we are going...

Look back into the history and appreciation of our hobby, back to Japan, their philosophies......back to wabi-sabi....etc...

Just to share the Goshiki that I have that went through this cycle, just like a flower slowly growing, then full bloom and then wither away.

Koi That Fail-621721_591222690900517_1992394726_o.jpg

My happiest moment when it won Best In Variety in our local Wakagoi show.

Koi That Fail-goshiki-kevin-chooi-52cm.jpg

And today with the sumi overtaking the beni plates

Koi That Fail-kondo-goshiki-58cmweb_2.jpg

Tosai
    I see it's usually a case of disappearing beni. Here's my Doitsu Kohaku - with more beni appearing! This one will be on the transfer list in spring.

It's also important to make sure you are starting with healthy fish. If you purchase sick fish, it's going to be an uphill battle at best. Buy your fish from a dealer you trust. If you are keeping high-dollar fish then trust is not good enough. You should set up a quarantine pond for new fish before mixing them with your other fish. If coloured fish turning white its due to loss of pigments, give em more sunlight... yes, fish stress can cause many symptoms like this...
    Last edited by Brian; 01-21- at 09:12 PM.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkykoi View Post
    I see it's usually a case of disappearing beni. Here's my Doitsu Kohaku - with more beni appearing! This one will be on the transfer list in spring.

as a follow up(not to pick on your koi) what is seen in the first picture that might give indicators of what is to come if we were trying to decide on the future of this koi?

I'm rather late to Meg's post. LOL....

In the tosai photo on the left side of the dorsal fin is a peculiar patch of Hi. Unlike the rest of the Hi, which seems pretty much sharply edged as one expects with Doitsu, that pathchy area is more a blush and rather fuzzy edged. Doitsu should not have fuzzy edges, even if the Hi is still maturing. Tosai Doitsu are generally as 'finished' as a mature fish. The absence of scales means there cannot be Hi under scales and the kiwa should always be sharp. So, that patchy area is an immediate point of concern. Looking more closely, we can see irregularity on the edges of the steps that at first glance seem sharply edged. This indicates that the Hi is either coming or fading. We cannot know which without having seen the fish at earlier stages, but we can conclude that there are issues.

My guess would have been that the Hi was fading. That is what most often occurs. Obviously, I would have been wrong. There is weakness in the Hi, but is not the typical fading phenomenon. It is blurry secondary Hi. Possibly in years to come it would solidify and thicken, but that is highly unlikely, especially with Doitsu.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678