Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bead Filters, an American curse?

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    They are standard 300micron. You can get 200micron screens.

SIBO | Professional Water Products
    Thanks Michael. Was it for higher flowrate that you went with the 300 micron sieve?

MCA
    Greater flow rate and lower cost. Keep in mind the output goes to bead filters that will then trap down to around 50-75 micron in the bead pack. So the screen you want could be impacted by what is downstream from the sieve. The sieve keeps so much out of the bead filter it is amazing.

Of course what we all want is those high capacity RDFs from Europe filtering down to 50 microns feeding massive Bakki Showers. But there is the small matter of cost.

If your bead filter traps to 50-75u wouldn't it be close enough to the capability of an RDF? Except for the little matter of maintenance.
    Your sieve/bead filter combo now makes a lot more sense to me now.

MCA
    I would only do sieve in from of a bead filter (with traditional beads, not open media). For a shower I would want a RDF first...if the budget allowed. If not, then a sieve would do. Right now I don't have a sieve on the shower circuit due to floor space and budget constraints. That is not likely to change.

Yup, we make do with what's at our disposal. Thanks.

MCA
    Interesting premise JR had that bead filters were somehow an American curse. Evolution Aqua, home of Cetus and Nexus, just introduced their own bead filters that use K1 media. Gary Cryer at GCTech has many years lead time on EA on doing using low restriction media in bead filters.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Interesting premise JR had that bead filters were somehow an American curse. Evolution Aqua, home of Cetus and Nexus, just introduced their own bead filters that use K1 media. Gary Cryer at GCTech has many years lead time on EA on doing using low restriction media in bead filters.
    Maybe JR thinks like me... bead filters have "beads" for media. I do not consider a pressurized filter with K1 media a bead filter.

It is my opinion that the curse "bead filters" had on the Koi hobbyist is they took the filtration focus away from biological filtration and put it on mechanical filters with UV filters.

This fall I will be adding a bead filter however the output will go to my 4 DIY filters that will become bio units. I think this will stop the curse

MCA
    The curse is total nonsense. As Steve Childers has correctly said for years about koi ponds....its a a system. A good pond system results from good design, implementation, and maintenance. Many different types of filters can be used. Each has good and bad points.

It is a well known fact here in our country bead pressurize filters work well only on aquarium setups. Personally, I have yet to see a pressurize filter work well enough for a koi hobbyist here where water temperatures range frm 23 to as high as 32.C, koi are fed multiple times a day and where source water is soft. The few I know that adapated pressurize filters eventually removed these filters after their koi kept on getting hikui despite regular maintenance of the filters.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast