Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond construction begins

What is 6 or 8 inches? The well casing? A 300 foot well with a 6-8 inch casing and 8 amp submersible pump sounds like it was built for moving serious amounts of water.

This is a long shot, a really long shot, but is the pump running on 3-phase power? Are there three wires plus a ground wire? Every so often a pump will continue to run at a crippled speed after dropping one leg on 3-phase power. Normally, the motor windings burn up, but a submersible unit may be cooled enough to survive and run on two legs. Could be a transformer heating up and shutting itself down or a heater (fuse) in the disconnect box which breaks connection when it heats up.

I still suspect the well cannot yield the amount of water the system was designed for - end of story. However, we are not going to be able to fix this long-distance and you are going to have to break down and get a well driller and electrician to trouble-shoot the situation. Some well drillers are pretty good electricians too, others are not.

-steve hopkins

would be the holding tank only if you were pumping into the bottom of it and as the level rose it slowed your pump because of the weight of the water it was pushing up against, if your pipe is just open into the top of your header tank and theres an overflow in case it fills too high, then it can have nothing to do with the tank.

yes steve itd suck having a fish farm with not enough water. i think our well is 6m deep and then was lowered a few more metres from times of pumping too much in time of drought. there may be something in that it hadnt rained a while there.

Yes Steve that is the pipe going down in the well. the outlet pipe is a one and a quarter inch pipe. I put the one and a half inch pipe so I could get a bigger volume of water out of my well and this works but it only will stay strong for about 40 mins and then it drops off to about the amount of water coming from a small hose pipe. I can cut the water of and it only takes about 15 mins for the well to recover, so I am still thinking that it is a problem with the switch. I mean how can a well run good for two weeks and then all of the sudden I stop getting the amount of water that I was. I have thought about something stopping the water from flowing in the well as that may be a problem also. I am going to call the well man and see if he can maybe give me some insite to this problem. I hope my pump is not bad.

The hour on and off is working with the well and the pond is just about full, a few pics so you can see what is going on. Some of it is just thrown together as we are still waiting on the county to fix a bridge that is out so we can get the tractor on the property to put pipe work in. I am happy with the progress so far after the little trouble I had trying to find a way to run my pump without running out of water. Thanks Steve it is working great.

Added a few fish to the pond today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond construction begins-mvc-003s.jpg   Pond construction begins-mvc-006s.jpg   Pond construction begins-mvc-007s.jpg   Pond construction begins-mvc-004s.jpg   Pond construction begins-mvc-005s.jpg  

Oh well I kind of like the ponds myself

Hi Koifishgirl.

Sorry I missed you're update and was asking for some updates.
    It looks great in my opinion and I see space is not an problem for you.
    All my mud ponds are build on the empty yard next to mine in the centre of town so space is quite limited.
    Koi just looks better in a mud pond.

If I wasn't so jealous, I would say something nice.

-steve

Please Steve lets dont go that far Ok. If only I had you mind then I would be doing good
    Anyway thanks guys, I happy with the progress so far .

OK. I did not put ferterlizer in the pond because I dont have the pipe work in the ground or my blower. I would like to ferterlize but thinking the water may get to thick with algie and cause me a problem with O2. How much do you think I can put in the water and be safe? I have about 20 koi in the pond and most are about 6 inch koi with a couple of 12 inch koi. The pond depth is 4 foot and the lenght is 50 foot, the width is 12 foot and the surface area makes the pond a total of 30 wide and 68 foot long. I dont know how to figure water amounts and think it best to ask you guys before I kill my koi. Also the water is turning green already without ferterlizer. Some my have washed in the pond when I put out the grass seed.
    What to do? Should I wait a while and see if the pond get heavy will algie?

Quote Originally Posted by bekko
    If I wasn't so jealous, I would say something nice.

-steve
    Anyway how can you be so jealous, after all the help you have given me. If I had not had you and what ever the other guys name is where would I be today? What is it Ransky or something like that. I really would like to at least know his first name. I was lost and thanks to you guys I doing it right. I still got a long way to go before I will be finished and will need you guys so I can make this a success.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast