Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond construction begins

If the water is turning green, then leave well enough alone. Just feeding the koi will also make a contribution.

-steve

I have a 60' well, and also the well driller lives 2 houses over. My well pump pumps to a pressure tank. A pressure switch controls the water pressure between 30psi (it kicks the pump on), and 60psi (it shuts the pump off), Once the pump runs kicking on and off for an hour, it bypasses the pressure tank and stays on full. When this happens, my pump starts sucking air. The well driller said that my pump might have to be lowered to prevent this. Usually, I shut the pump off, wait 5 minutes, and go on again, and I get another hour.

It might be that your well cannot handle the full flow, but a lower flow over a sustained period. It happens.

Hi Greg the way my timer is set up now I am pumping 5000
    gallons of water in 24 hours. Its working fine now. I think my problem was that the switch was getting stuck and the pump was not coming on. I filed the down the points some and it has not happened again.

My system is also set up like yours but my psi stays at 60 and when it is running it just keeps going down till it hits 0 but the strange thing is my well still keeps running, the pressure is not strong but it stll runs.

How would I go about lowering the pump in a 300 ft deep well?

I dont know how to lower the pump. I think there is a threaded device in there that you just have to turn.

As for the points on the pressure switch. If the pump cycles on and off to much, it can wear the points out (fuse them togehter), its almost like welding every time they hit. I have had to replace a couple pressure switches due to this problem.

Do you use your well to fill mud ponds? I think the water is in the well as it has just about go one of my ponds full. I believe if I could lower the pump I could get more water. I think I will take a look at this and see if I have a threaded pipe in my well so I can lower the pump. I can alway call the well man and see.

I have no mud ponds, my yard is too sandy. I'm looking for the land to build them on close by. I only have two rubber lined fry ponds. Each one 3,000 gallons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond construction begins-p5200174-small-.jpg  

Hi Greg,

Do you raise the fry of one spawning set in each pond or do you devide the eggs amongst them?

I stand corrected from my boyfriend that the pump is puting 7200 gallon of water in my pond in 24 hours.

Ok here is my problem, The lowest ponds is not holding water around the top 3 feet of the pond not letting the other ponds fill. I was wondering if it would do any good to place a 4 foot piece of liner on the sides of the ponds. If I can do this and it helped how would I go about holding the liner in place so my pond will fill to the top and overflow into the other ponds. Im haveing some problems that I did not think I would have. The pond builder took off a lot of top soil to get to the red clay but this pond is very close to the fence line and he could not remove as much. The other ponds dont have as much top soil and should do ok, that is if I can get this one full. If you guys have any suggestion that would help I would love to here from you. I dont want to put liners in these ponds so all the help I can get with this would be great.

The liner won't help hold water very much unless you do the whole pond - bottom and all. The water will rise up under the liner.

Why don't you cap off those pipes between the ponds and fill them one at a time. They will start holding water better as they age.

-steve

I wounder how long it takes before the clay in a pond binds together to become water tight. Im thinking about pumping the water from that pond over to one of the other ponds. I may have to put a liner in the lowest pond. I dont want to but if I dont, I dont think I will be able to ever get it full. The soil around the top 3 feet of the ponds does not have enough clay in the dirt to hold the water and it is going out like mad. I have been running my well to long and it should be full.

Steve, what do you think about pumping the water from this pond over to another and see what happens. From the way this pond drops in the water level if I dont keep the water running to it, it will go dry.

Also I contacted the well man who put my well in and was told some good news, he said to turn my well on and let it run and fill the ponds that is was not going to go dry on me, It was tested and ran 6 hrs and did not go dry and was told if you cant run it dry in 4 hrs Im not going to run it dry. So now my well is running 24--7 guess you know how it goes if you have never done this type of thing before you get a little nervous about doing something new scared you will mess up, well thats me.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast