Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond construction begins

Thanks Maurice, come to think of it they my be two weeks old, reason I think this is a couple of weeks ago I could not get my koi to come up and eat for me. I wonder if this had anything to do with them not eating as they alway come up.
    Ooop"s it takes around 5 day for the fry to hatch so maybe a week old.
    The water is warm and I have gotten it as green as a gord now. Your kidding me about the fry being bigger than the parents in three months right They will have plenty of room that is for sure, and plenty to eat, Is their a food other than powdered koi food to feed the fry?

Is there anything else I should be doing to help the fry grow?

Is there anything else I should be doing to help the fry grow?

Add some aeration if you can. The gills are not fully developed and they need all the help they can get.

-steve

Steve since I was not ready for this spawn all I have is a large pump that I could put in the water, would this work? How would I go about keeping the fry from being sucked into the pump and killed? Is their anything that I could get from maybe Home Depot that I could use untill I can get a blower?

KFG,

You can use any airpump for now. Even one airstone would help in the middle of the pond.

Got to go pic up my two Momotaro Kohaku saturday and bring them home from the baby sitters mud pond. Will the large koi eat my fry? Please hurry with a reply, Im short on time. I could put these two in my main pond at home but trying to grow them out and dont want to stunt their growth. Just wondering would it be worth losing my fry or if it would hurt to put them in my main pond for a month or so untill the fry get bigger.

Sansai
    Only you can say if its worth it or not, worth it to you anyway, but the answer is yes they will eat the fry. Large adult koi will also hinder the growth of young koi due to the hormones that they release into the water. Its best to keep them totally seperate whenever possible.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    You're going to have such a 'mix and match' of fry, I wouldn't worry about them.

A flock spawn from what you have in the pond are not going to produced Grand Champions.

Some will survive and you'll have fun, chuck the Momotaro koi in and let them feast. Within a couple of weeks the fry will be beyond eating, at an inch or two the big ones get fed up of chasing them.
    Maurice.

Here are the two Momotaro Kohaku that I had to go get today and bring home. and a few pics of how green the water is and trying to get water in the other ponds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond construction begins-dscf0048.jpg   Pond construction begins-dscf0049.jpg   Pond construction begins-dscf0050.jpg   Pond construction begins-dscf0053.jpg   Pond construction begins-dscf0059.jpg  

Pond construction begins-dscf0057.jpg   Pond construction begins-dscf0056.jpg  

Both of my koi when I picked them up today have ulcers on them. I dont have any shots and have never given a shot so I gave them a good salt bath and put them in the pond until I can find out where to get some shots

I need some help, I have lost the bloom that was in my pond, we have had a lot of rain and has been overcast, was wondering if I should go ahead and ferterlize the pond again or will my bloom come back when the sun comes out? My fry need something to eat.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast