Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

B.Scott: Despite all the hoopla about the EAzy, they are still not available in the U.S. Availability was to be mid-April, but the first ones were not shipped out of Britain until this month ... on a slow boat (perhaps via the Suez Canal??). LOL. So, I've got the foam blocks until the EAzy arrives & then both Nexus will get retro-fitted. .... I decided to go with the EAzy based on the good initial reports, Maurice's success with his pathmaking static kaldnes, the lower initial cost and the avoidance of continuing electrical cost compared to the Answer. I think the foam will be O.K. during initial start-up ... depends how successful we are on jump-starting the bio-filters, I think.

I'm really glad to hear that Mike. I tend to agree with you. I think you can live with the blocks for a month or so without too much trouble. IMO the EAsy is far superior to the answer both in terms of eliminating fines and the cost to buy and use it.

I must say that I'm over the moon with the results I'm getting from the knock-off version I built for my pond. The water is clearer than it has ever been and the stringy algae has disappeared (but is that due to the conversion?).

The amount of clarity I now have is fantastic. All I have to do is look at the crud that is removed every time I clean the kaldness to rid any doubts I may have. Here is a little picture I snapped yesterday where you can see how clear it has all gotten.

Notice the shadows of the fish on the bottom five feet below. This is about as good as it gets if you ask me. I'm sure you are going to be very happy with the EAsy when it arrives. I understand the retrofit is a cinch as well.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Beautiful! .... I hope I can get as good a result, including the nice growth of algae.

Let there be light! ... Far too often I am not home until after dark. My wife suggested putting an outdoor spotlight on the eave of the house near the filter pit. Great idea, I thought. But John pointed out that I'd be looking into the light trying to find valves etc. ... not good. So, we have 2 outdoor compact flourescent lights on the wall facing the filters. One at each end of the pit. Now I'll be able to dump the vortex etc. in the middle of the night without wearing a miner's light. An inexpensive extra that will make a big difference!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01853.jpg  

Tosai
    No back-up generator, but here is a simple precaution. A back-up battery on one of the diffuser drains. It is enough to keep air going an hour or more. Does not mean much in the event of hurricanes, but our occasional power outage during thunderstorms is usually less than that. Thanks, again, John!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01851.jpg  

Tosai
    Here is a nifty innovation I've not heard about before. These are the valves controlling the air pressure to the diffuser drains. If a valve is not fully open, there is back pressure on the air pump which can reduce its useful life. By adding a valved relief outlet, the excess air pressure is simply dispersed into the air. This causes an irritating noise. So, airstones are attached and simply left hanging. They act as mufflers. Cool, Carl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01848.jpg  

I'm glad you like the algae Mike. Nine months ago it looked like this. In fact in feburary it looked that way as well. What you see is 3' long and covers every surface in the entire pond. If there was a market for it I would be rich!

I have been battling the stuff for so long I was thinking of giving up the hobby. Every health problem I have ever had was due to Blanket Weed. Now it's almost gone I can just about cry I'm so happy. And the best part is I haven't had to add chemicals of little black boxes to do it. At last I have gotten something right though I can't say exactly what it is.

B.Scott

Tosai
    Here is a different concept for a vortex cover. I've not filled in the dirt, leveled the ground as I want, nor done any garden work, so it may take a bit of imagination... this apparent piece of decking will be beside the path from pond to pit. It is on the vortex and is made of recycled plastic "boards"... rot-proof in our humid climate. It looks like one piece, but is actually 3 separate light-weight sections that fit securely on the vortex due to precisely measured crosspieces on the underside. Sure would not think a vortex was under it if you did not know. I've not quite decided on the landscape planting that will surround it, but I think it will be a fine base for a piece of ceramic garden statuary I have in mind.

.... Dale, if you are watching, THANKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01850.jpg  

Tosai
    B.Scott: Now, that's algae even I would consider a nuisance. It must have gunked up your filters something awful. ....You are thinking it is possible that solving your fines problem may have brought the algae under control? Hmmmm. Don't know. Something to think about.

Speaking of controlling algae ... when the pond was being planned one of the things I decided to do without to get the price down was UV. Well, my wife decided I should get it as an early anniversary present. So, here's the UV plumbed to handle half of the flow from the bead filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01849.jpg  

Tosai
    And here are Carl & John by the fully completed pond.

Justin, Taylor, Dale & Kerry may not be in the picture, but they are in spirit through their handiwork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01844.jpg  

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast