Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Well, either "dilution is the solution for pollution" or I need new test kits. No measurable ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I'm thinking the unicellular algae are consuming all forms of nitrogen very efficiently.

Nisai
    Mike

In the filter pit. Did they they fill the concrete block with concrete and rebar? Did they make some kind of cover for the filter pit?

Congratulation on owning a beautiful state of the art pond.

This is the inspiration I need to get my butt moving on my own.

Redhot: The block was filled and some rebar. There is no cover on the filter pit for now. I think on how to do something that will not violate code requirements. (Once I have the area fenced off, maybe what folks can't see won't hurt me? )

Hey Mike, what was the total cost of this pond rebuild, for those of use who want to go that direction of build a pond?

Tony: I prefer not to discuss costs in specifics because everyone is going to be dealing with different situations. Site issues affect not only design, but also the time involved. The less freedom of movement a crew has, the longer it takes, and time costs. The length of the plumbing runs affects price. PVC is relatively cheap, but flex PVC can get pricey and the connections, unions, valves, etc can really add up. Whether electric is available or has to be extended can be material depending on the situation. Can excavated dirt be used on site, or does it have to be hauled away? If hauled, how far? (Time & gas are issues.) Are there dumping fees? What is in the way that has to be moved or worked around? Where will the discharge line go? Do you have to discharge into storm sewer lines? (Permits? Fees?) The costs of materials can vary widely. Concrete costs more in Florida than other areas. Availability of materials can be a factor. There were some pieces and parts for my pond that had to be overnighted, while for others Aquatic Eco-Systems was convenient and I drove there myself so a crew member did not have to leave the job (or get lost finding it!). What heavy equipment is needed, is it available locally and at what rental rates? Caterpillar is conveniently located not too far away, but due to hurricane recovery and a general construction boom, there was limited availability of the size/type of earth moving equipment needed. My project ended up with larger than necessary equipment, but there was no choice. There are so many variables that no reliable estimate can be given without investigating a number of things.

All of that said, the cost is going to be greater than constructing a swimming pool of like volume. This is because the plumbing and filtration are far more complex and super-sized than a pool that uses chlorine to make everything "simple".

I would not have built this pond unless I knew in my heart that we will be living in this house "forever". It has been home for over 25 years and always will be. Also, I believe this hobby is one I will stay in and enjoy for many, many years. My prior ponds were DIY ones, or mostly so. My enjoyment of the hobby grew as the ponds grew and I learned more. I've kept koi, starting with the under-sized lily pond like so many water gardeners, since 1978. I got "hooked" only about 7 years ago, but I don't think I'll grow tired of it. I'd give up my aquaria and guppies before I'd give up the koi. I still have a long way to go in this hobby. I do not have the highest quality koi. I do have a couple that I think are nice, but no future GCs among them. Hopefully this pond will provide me the education I need so that I can some day have a few high quality koi and be able to do right by them. Viewed in the context of a hobby for life, the cost does not seem absurd. But, I do still wonder at times how I got sucked into this hobby to such a degree that a swimming pool for in-bred carp does not seem too expensive.

Nicely said Mike...I wonder some of the things about myself that you do too.. LOL... But Koi keeping for truely koi kichi is one of the things in life that really can bring "peace" deep inside.

Hope your koi have many years in your new pond of happy koi keeping for you....

Daihonmei
    Thanks mike.

Now can someone go ask Keiren what he'd charge to fly a crew down for a week to put in a first rate 12,000 gallon pond?
    (insert smilie thingee)

Jumbo
    Mike, just stopped by for the first time to view your project- really wonderful Mike! Couldn't be a more deserving guy for such a great pond. Enjoy it for many years. JR

Tosai
    Well, with no shade during the hottest part of the day, a shade cover is an important part of a pond. I took today off to help koi club pal Merle Deland start building a shade structure. It is made of western cedar, which holds up fairly well to the elements. That way I avoid treated lumber that could leach copper and other undesirable substances into the pond. However, the uprights, which will not overhang the pond, are being treated with a water sealer. They will be exposed to irrigation spray several times each week virtually year 'round, so the chance of rot setting in is greater for them.

Today we got all the upright components sealed, almost all the the pieces sawn to proper lengths, the uprights assembled and located where the uprights will be placed. Getting them placed so they are square, are not over any of the pond drain lines/return lines, are not over electric lines or irrigation lines, and still compatible with the planned walkway around the pond was a challenge!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01873.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01874.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01877.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01876.jpg  

Tosai
    Before anyone gets the idea that I am competent to build anything, let me assure you that Merle is building it. I'm just a helper!

The pond is no longer green, thanks to UV, but still murky. I still have not detected any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01875.jpg  

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast