Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Lee
    Sansai

Writing a 'good' cheque...is better than being a good builder!

Mike

When you are able, please - post a photo of the covering installed.

Thanks!

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Tosai
    Lee: Of course!

Today we got the uprights in the ground, as well as chunks of concrete out of the ground, and managed to miss all the various buried lines. Of course, everything had to be re-squared, re-measured, constantly.

First upright was a bear to get placed correctly, but then there were three in place, and then cross-pieces were set into the notch created at the top. Once more, Merle did the real work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01879.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01880.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01884.jpg  

Tosai
    On the side of the pond away from the pecan tree, the uprights are 12', sunk about 2' into the ground (with concrete), creating an approximate 10' height from ground level. On the side closest to the tree, the height is more nearly 6.5' from ground level. This allows a slope in the roof line so that leaf litter and pecans can slide off once shadecloth is installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01886.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01887.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01888.jpg  
    Last edited by MikeM2; 05-19-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: correct typo

Tosai
    And for those interested in such things, here are shots showing how the uprights are constructed and the crospieces bolted in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01882.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01883.jpg  

It will be a while before the rest of the beams are in place. I have to work over the weekend, but maybe I'll be able to take off a day next week before the Memorial Day weekend. It may only take one more day to finish it, although installing the shadecloth "roof" may be a challenge ... even unintentional diving is not allowed in the pond! But, Lee, we will get to it eventually.

Tosai

Thumbs up

Hi Mike,

A question I have is the penetrations in your pond, water return, bottom drain etc. I understand from reading your post that the water returns are flush with the wall, sealed with resin. I would like to know what happened after the polyurea is sprayed over, do they just cut the hole out?

thanks

charlie

Lee
    Sansai

Shade covering...

Mike,

When you've completed this task and if you're still as pleased and happy with the work, please send your carpenter to our home in Grand Cayman - along with the same plans, the materials and I'll eagerly put him to work repeating the same construction covering the filter house of my own new pond.

But, please...finish it already, would ya, as I want to see what it looks like...done. (I am certain you do also, yes.)

Mike, what level of sun protection shade cloth had you selected? And, why? And, what colour did you choose?

(I had selected 'white' at a fifty percent. However, I haven't been able to obtain an able carpenter,as yet.)

Hug's

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Charlie: I think I confused you by referring to the epoxy as a sealant. It was used as a primer, or base coat. The epoxy primer was applied on all interior pond surfaces and several inches into the pipes, but the pipes were open, not sealed. The polyurea was then sprayed. While there is debate about the stability of polyurea adherence to pvc pipe, there is a consensus that using an epoxy primer eliminates serious concern. The polyurea liner effectively becomes "one" with the pipes. An exception was the diffuser bottom drains. The central air line was covered to prevent polyurea being sprayed where the diffuser would attach. The drain line itself received the epoxy base coat and then was sprayed.

Lee: The shadecloth has a story behind it. We have many foliage plant nurseries in the area, so, of course, there are supply outlets serving them. I went to one and learned that they had two custom sewn pieces of shadecloth that their customer decided not to take, forfeiting his 50% deposit. Since they were odd sized, they had no market for them among their regular clientele. I was offered both for less than half-price. Such a deal!! So, I have a 20' x 20' 63% shadecloth and a 16' x 30' 63% shadecloth. They are black, the color used by all the foliage growers. I'll be having to cut the long one, and may overlap a portion. We will seee when we get to that part.

Tategoi
    Lee:

There were a couple of threads re: shade cloth color for ponds on this and the NI board...Arthur of WA state noted that Black should be the only color used because the light shining through it was neutral showing the true color of the koi...This was confirmed by many others...

I used a 50% light maize (almost white) colored cloth for my cover because, like you wanted white but couldn't find any either...My thinking was that the white would reflect the sun keeping the pond water cooler... Arthur and the others were right, the maize color casts a yellow hue on the water and koi at certain times of the day...Am seriously considering changing the new cloth, which I installed before the threads were posted, as time permits...

As to the % of shade: There's a number of theories about what the % should be...Ray Jordon can give you the Japanese theory of one breeder, however, the sun is more intense here and in the Cayman Islands, than it is in Japan, so I think the % should be higher... The nurserymen here use 70% shade cloth for growing tropical plants like orchids and anthuriums to keep them from burning...

Aloha! Mike

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast