Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Lee
    Sansai

Shade covering....

Hi Mike,

Naw, I wasn't planning to use the shade cloth (for the pond) as you will see by what I had written.

I was going to use a cover and cloth (if I could find either and someone to construct the frame) to provide shade over the filter and equipment area ...which is about thirty feet long and fifteen or so feet in depth...And, open to the sun.

While this new pond is not yet operational all the equipment has been placed and connected - and, even thought it is totally in the open, I know it is going to be hot as a bakery...doing any work there.

Four Nexus. With a pump for each. Three Wm. Lim systems. With a pump for each. Plus, three Wm Lim UV's. And, a Bakki Shower type system designed by Steve C., and a pump for that. And, a 120 Airtech for each of the above each adding to the relentless tropical sun's heat.

...which is why I am really very anxious to see how Mike cover's his pond and what it looks like when his is completed. For certain it will give me an idea on how to do the same for myself.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

P.S. Do you see any way to spell check on this site????

P.S. Do you see any way to spell check on this site????
    Lee,
    I just cut and paste it to outlook express and do the spell check and then paste it back. OE is generaly running anyway when I read the boards.
    B.Scott

Lee
    Sansai

Off the subject...however, - - - -

Hoot mon,

Yes, indeed, that is one way to correct spelling.

However, I am certain if he was asked that Brian will want to provide us with a method to correct our posts, as we type?

As you know, all the other boards have grammar or spell correct, Brian should offer no less.

Yes?

What we all need is to have everyone ask him...to add spell check.

Ok, 'now' how do we do that?

Lee

Tosai
    Terrible how work gets in the way of one's hobby, isn't it? It has been a week without much progress, but today we raised the rafters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01891.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01892.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01893.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01895.jpg  

Notice how green the pond looks? Not aquamarine like last week. Brown slime now covers the walls and floor. The first step in getting good algae growth. Curious how light refracts. The water is clear. The brown slime makes it seem green, but actually it is not. I've not tested since Tuesday, so need to do it now. Still no measurable nitrate, but I ran out of my more sensitive test kit. Until I replace it, I have to use one that cannot detect nitrate much below 5ppm. I've never had a pond (or aquarium for that matter) where I could not detect nitrate.

Now we need to get shadecloth on the top. Perhaps tomorrow afternoon.

Lee
    Sansai
    MIke,

Post just a couple more photo shots of the structure...would you please.

Much appreciated,

Lee A.
    Grand Cayman

Tosai
    This afternoon we were able to get the shadecloth up. It took both Merle and I, and some help from my daughter, to get it stretched as best we could and nailed down. Strangely, nobody wanted to climb out on the "rafters" to nail down the shadecloth the entire length of each. We settled for using large headed roofing nails every few inches along the "rafters" at each end, and for a distance of a foot or two at each end of the ones crossing over the pond.

Having 63% shade over the pond made an immediate difference. The koi that stay close to the bottom hugging the pond wall to be in the small amount of shadow, were soon swimming in the open.

Lee: I'll try for some "technical" shots tomorrow. The rain arrived just as these photos were being taken.

P.S., we forgot something..... hurricane braces at the base of each rafter. Merle gave me a bag of them and hopefully I will remember to get them up before a big storm arrives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01896.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01900.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01901.jpg  

Mike, Looks Great! All of it..! But I have one request...

Can ya slow down a bit cause yer kinda making me look bad in front of my wife...

Joe

Lee
    Sansai

Do I have to send you a ten percent license fee?

1. Mike,
    2. It's really super. Thanks for the additional photos. They will be helpful should I ever find an available carpenter...or, you will generously send me your carpenter (however, when he packs don't forget to remind him to put the hurricane straps in his suitcase.)
    3. Mike, I suspect you were sitting in that white chair, I see sited next to the pond in the shade while giving instructions to your daughter as she did the nailing of the shade cloth?
    4. Yeah, sure...you did all the work yourself!
    5. Seriously, it's a nice job as your pond looks far more relaxing and pleasant to enjoy now out of the tropical bright sun. Mike, I am curious if the shade has had any effect on your water chemistry. Did you do any before and after tests?
    6. Your pal,
    7. Lee A.
    8. Grand Cayman

Keo: Don't worry. See the flagstone (which Carl Forss was moving at the beginning of this thread) now piled out in the yard? Well, best scheduling so far is 6 weeks until I can get somebody who knows how to do flagstone right. Still calling around, but it may be August before the patio and walkway are done. ....getting tired of tracking sand everywhere.

Lee: The white chair is where I sit after hefting flagstone out of the garden beds .... so I can get to restoring the garden while waiting for the patio and walkways.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast