Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Do a bioassay, Lee. Paint a piece of treated wood with the latex and put it in an aquarium or bucket with guppy fry as soon as it is dry to the touch. The idea is to maximize the exposure (a lot of painted surface and leeching with a minimum of water) and use a very susceptable fish (fry are more delicate than adults). If a large exposure does not kill a delicate fish in a fairly short period of time, then the chances are reasonable that a minimal exposure will not harm more hardy fish over the long term.

Personally, I am pretty relaxed about such issues. I have walkways made of treated lumber directly over my ponds. The wood was not painted or sealed. It rains a lot here and I never noticed a problem.

This was a slow, multi-year project. The first walkways were constructed with CCA (copper-chromated arsenic) pressure treated wood. Later ones were built with Hi-Bore (borate) treated wood as that is all they sell here now. The borate treatment is supposed to be less toxic and less harmful for the environment. I doubt that it resists termites and fungal rot as well though.

-steve hopkins

Lee
    Sansai

Good ideas, gratefully received and appreciated.

Yo!

Yes, I probably made a huge mistake using the pressure treated wood.

And, for certain our paints are combined with some algae inhibitors.

Perhaps, I will paint over all with a poly as you mentioned, as perhaps, it will seal the paint and the wood...on the hospital tank.

I do have the same wood and paint over my filter house of my old pond, however, the run off doesn't run onto anything as the filters are always all covered with plastic lids.

As for the storm...Indeed, it left a mess.

We've not yet completed replacing our roof, nor our gutters (I think we remain 300+ on the waiting list), nor any of the flashing...so, we 'have' lot's of seepage, dripping and in the 'great room' a natural waterfall down one wall.

However, it wasn't a hurricane. And, if only a tropical storm - I can live with that. Should we have a hurricane...I don't even want to think of it.

Worse is...that there is a hurricane this year, pre-named Lee. I pray we don't get hit with that one....as my life will be made miserable.

I just hope all of those who are now in the path of Arlene are going to be 'just' fine...

All the best,

Lee
    Grand Cayman

P.S. Brian's spell check is still NOT working!!!??? Who's going to tell him?

Lee,
    Spell check only works if you type in Japanese

Lee
    Sansai

NO wonder I couldn't find the spell check. I shoulda, known!

Werkelijk grappig dat. Ben en, nog grappiger wanneer u een koibewaarder bent aangezien wij... zoals zijn wie een betere betekenis van humeur moet hebben dan wij moeten hebben... het recht van I?
    Alle beste, Lee Grote Cayman

LOL now if I can just figure out what it means lee... spelling is GREAT though!

Lee
    Sansai

You're in Holland, yes? And, you don't speak or write Dutch?

Oh, my...I am sorry.

Your photo picture on Koi Bito says, that you're located in Holland. I thought for certain that you must speak and write Dutch.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Lee, thinking out loud here. But I wonder if any Marine Products for boats and such can seal in the PT wood. I am sure they dont come in a lot of colors but I am also sure color does matter and fish health is more important. Just some thoughts...

Joe

OH I most certainly do Lee. The trouble is you have done this with a translation engine and most of it is just jibberish. Frankly... they suck!

I did a translation back into Engils and this is pretty much what it looks like in Dutch as well!

Really funny that. Are and, still more funnily when you koikeeper are since we... such as its he who a better meaning of mood must than we must... the right of I? All bests, Lee large Cayman
    LOL thanx Lee

Lee
    Sansai

I was trying to respond in your language -

Interesting...

I frequently use the same translation site for communicating in various languages around the world as our company does business in a host of countries and I receive correspondence daily in languages which I don't speak, write or read.

....And, without these wonderful translation services we would never be able to communicate.

Perhaps, the only language that the site does not work well in is 'Dutch' as it does function perfectly in Japanese, Korean and in French ...

Fortunatly, I've never had to use it in Dutch 'before' as then my reply would have been even sillier in that circumstance than it is - now...

Thus, many thanks for the input. And, especially for setting me straight on the value of this particular translation service.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

But Lee you say that, though you aren't able to actually read what it has written, so how would you know? Chances are they are guessing and also being polite.

I have used these programs in Dutch, English, German, French and Spanish to correct my grammar and it almost always comes out skewed to some extent. In most cases you can make out what is being said but there is often a lot of room for speculation.

I find when using these programs one needs to write as plainly as possible and avoid any and all idioms as these will be translated literally. It also retains the syntax of what you have written. If a translation from Dutch said "Yes, it is me what" you would have no way of knowing it simply meant "I don't really care". Likewise a Frenchman could refer to his shit-squashers and you would have no way of knowing he (politely) was referring to his large feet.

Here is a bit of radon German text I translated with babelfish:
    My dealer meant, before one the grapefruit to serve gives, one day koi more hunger leave. And the whole only if the water temperature around the 20C has... but garlic to the Kois give find genuinly glaring I!!!! I think, that could nevertheless be to sharp something, or...

What it really says is

My Koi dealer recommends that before feeding grapefruit to let the koi fast for a day. Also you should only do this when you have water of a least 20C. I find giving the Koi garlic really cruel. I think that could be because it's just too spicey, don't you think...?

As you see it also retains the syntax one day koi more hunger leave that while proper in german makes it look funny in english with the verb coming on the end.
    They have a long way to go if you ask me!

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast