Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Lee
    Sansai

I am sitting reading your reply and laughing...

Hi!

Oh, Sh_t!

I 'now' have to question myself...that after all these years what others who I do business with must have had to endure in reading my correspodence; as none in any language ever complained as to what I wrote.

Not one.

Indeed, you're correct. They were probably too polite. Or, what would be funnier is that they had no idea what it was that I said and were too embarassed to tell me to rephrase or rewrite my correspondence.

What is even worse is that I now remember on ocassion I had written/responded to one of our suppliers in The Netherlands in Dutch. It's a company with whom I have been doing business for many years which is located in Lelystad.

I believe I am going to be red faced for a VERY long time!!!

With warmest appreciation for your kindness, time and effort in having shared your experiences with me.

Thank you!

Your pal,

Lee
    Grand Cayman

P.S. Where in Holland are you? And, how is that your English is perfect? I have problems with the language and it's my own native tongue.

HI Lee,
    No trouble at all. Always great to chat with ya. I live right up against the Hague.
    As eor my English... it's my mother tongue as I came here as an expat almost 30 years ago. My Dutch is pretty reasonable as well.
    I wouldn't worry about translating things into another language of if you do, always incluce the original text in english. Most Dutch speak decent English. Usually the smaller the country the better their language skills are.

Cheers lee!
    B.Scott

Lee
    Sansai

OK, now I know where you live...what's the "B" stand for?

What's the "B" stand for?

Everyone in koi-dom is waiting for your reply.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Tategoi
    Ah but we are much too polite to say what it stands for. (No pun intended.)

MikeM what other colors does the polyurea come in?

I know a dark gray and black are available in addition to the light gray I got. I have heard that various colors can be obtained, but I am not aware if they are readily available.

What's the "B" stand for?
    Lee,
    I may end up changing my signature with this story I repeat it so often

The "B." Is for Brian. In my family has become the tradition for the eldest male to have a first initial, middle name. So far my grandfather, my father, myself and my son all have a first initial, middle name.
    It is the same thing as F.Scott Fitzgerald or J.Edgar Hoover. I stated calling myself B.Scott in High School when I found myself in a class where Scotts were in abundance. Been there ever since.

B.Scott

Sansai
    Lee and Mike,

I wonder if one of the products from Sani-tred would work as a sealer for the pressure treated wood. Their url is www.sanitred.com. This is the stuff that Bob in CA used to seal his gunite pond. The experience is related on another board if you are interested. The product I am thinking about is the Perma-flex (the primer/top coat). It is a thin polymer (I think) that could be painted onto the wood. It comes in several colors, tan and black I know for sure. A call or email to them to ask about the compatibility with the pressure treated wood chemicals and a projected life span out in the sun might answer some of your questions.

Steve

Interesting product. For small projects it could be affordable. For large projects, the cost could be rather hefty. Raw wood can be very absorbent.

I'm assuming it worked well as a concrete sealant and the koi were fine with it?

Sansai
    I can only relate to everyone what I saw and what I have read on the company's web site about the product. I am in the process of remodeling my own pond and am planning on using this product to seal the shell and filtration chambers. Bob lives close enough to me that I was able to easily make the trip down to his house to watch the application process. I was able to observe the first coat and most of the second coat before it was time for me to head back home. I do not mean to imply that this is "the" sealant product to use, just one more option.

It went on very easily. The primer coat of perma-flex was applied with paint rollers, seemed to cover evenly, soaked into and bonded with the gunite, and was ready for the coat of Liquid Rubber Base in approximately 1 hour or so. That second coat was mixed with an activator/catalyst and had the consistency of toothpaste. It was applied with trowels and smoothed out with a flexible piece of acrylic. After a curing period of 2 - 4 hours, the finish/top coat of perma-flex was applied. Each layer bonds to the previous in such a manner that all of the coats become a single coat. The company states that the product will withstand negative hydrostatic pressure from the outside. It provides an extremely smooth finish that has a slight resilence to the touch. It can be used for potable water and contains no VOC solvents. Bob has not yet filled the shell with water so can not report on how it affects Koi. The company states that it is safe for fish.

From what I have read on the company's web site I would not forsee any problems. I place it in the same finished product category as CIM, G4, or fiberglass. I know that the CIM used in ponds is a potable water grade product.

They sell a 1/2 pint trial size kit for about $30 US, I believe. That would be enough to try on a piece of wood. One could apply a first coat with half of the material, wait an hour or so then apply a second coat. I do not know if the Liquid Rubber Base coat would be necessary just to seal in the wood preservative. Before using it for this purpose, I would want to talk with the company's tech reps. I do know that the product is rated for use on wood.

It seems like it is another tool for our use in pond construction. For a block or concrete shell it may be a good choice. For a pond with retaining walls and soil floor, then poly is better. In reading the discussion you and Lee were having about the concern of leaching of wood preservative I thought this stuff might work.

As to cost, I think it might be cheaper than CIM or poly. True it is US $70+ but it covers approximately 240 sq ft per gallon on the perma-flex. The Liquid Rubber Base provides less coverage but costs approximately US $42 per gallon in 5 gal pails. On their site there is a chart for application on a rough concrete floor that shows a cost of approximately US $1900. Poly is running US $8 - $10 per sq ft.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast