Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

I am pleased with the polyurea lining, but there is a characteristic I had not anticipated. It is extremely smooth. That has a couple of consequences. First, it is not the best substrate for establishing algae. When the first stage of algae got established, all it took was a gentle rub of a finger across the surface and the algae came right off. I have carpet algae getting established now. It does not rub off so easily. But, it can be removed. I couldn't get the stuff off my old liner no matter what was tried. Second, even with "water walkers" on, it is near impossible to stand on the bottom of the sloping bottom of the pond. I have learned that I can lower the water to 2', but I'll still be swimming once I get in!

Tosai

question and scared to death

hi, starting to consider tearing out my liner 4000 gallon pond and put in a 20x10x10 gunnite pond [or block with rebar, doing it myself]. My immediate question relates to the bead filter and the sequence pump. What type of bead filter[size] and which pump are you using, under pressure, to make the bead work. Like others, I really appreciate your posts on your pond; it will help me immensely should I decide to go ahead. Thanks again, glenn
    ps when i decided to get serious, I'm sure I'll have more questions if you are willing to answer.

Tosai

question and scared to death

hi, starting to consider tearing out my liner 4000 gallon pond and put in a 20x10x10 gunnite pond [or block with rebar, doing it myself]. My immediate question relates to the bead filter and the sequence pump. What type of bead filter[size] and which pump are you using, under pressure, to make the bead work. Like others, I really appreciate your posts on your pond; it will help me immensely should I decide to go ahead. Thanks again, glenn
    ps when i decided to get serious, I'm sure I'll have more questions if you are willing to answer.

Midnight: I have an Aquadyne 2.2, which I've had for over 4 years. I'm using the Sequence 7200. I like the bead filter as a mechanical filter for capturing smaller debris. They should not be used without some pre-filtration to capture the bulk of the algae glarf. They become too clogged otherwise. I think the Aquadyne remains a pretty good bead filter, but there are several on the market and somebody is always coming out with a new feature of one sort or another. I'm not so sure about the gadgetry, but before you copy what I have, check around. I'd suggest you start a new thread asking for bead filter comments and recommendations... try on this board and on Koiphen and Koi Shack. You'll get an earful!

Tosai

thank you, Mike

Hi Mike, I'll have to check the size of my bead filter[I should know??] but in my new pond, I'll think I'll run the vortex I now have and the bead filter off either the skimmer or one of the bottom drains and a nexus off the other but will reread all of your post and others before final decisions. My current pump is failing, I believe, and I'd like to get a pump to "get me through" now until I build the new pond that I can also use on the new pond. I had heard the sequence 6 and 7,000 series might now be able to power a pressurized bead system so your post has been great as it may have solved an immediate problem. Thanks for the quick response, glenn

Tategoi
    I'm going to throw some dirt on tour plans. Don't let it stop you. A pond that size can be a dream most of us will envy. Not because of the size but because of it's potential to provide the healthy environment JR & folks talk about.
    First consider the flow you want. Looks like you may have already done that.
    Next lay out the filter components you hope to use. I suggest you look a little further before you go beyond this point.
    Then compute the Total Dynamic Head you're pump will be dealing with at the flow you chose.
    Then select and buy the pump.
    You can design backwards, but it becomes a bigger task in that the pump will limit your choices of layout and components.
    Bead filters are usually rated at the best flow for mechanical filtration. A bead as a Bio-converter should be operated at about 1/2 that. Don't build a 15000+ gallon and cut corners on filtration & other components. A well designed pond that size will stand well above one just put together with a minimum of components. To (sorta) answer one of your questions, bead filters don't have enough drop for them to dictate anything. As you determine the drops in the system you design, The bead filter will be less than 10% of the drop, if the system is properly designed.
    If you want to design a really low head pond, you should drop the bead thinking altogether. You will also have to look for alternative pumping sources such as airlifts but you'll be walking a path without much history. Very few ponds have been designed using airlifts. But those that have, use between 25 & 30% of the power of our best centrifugal pumps.
    Even a bead filter used as a mechanical filter should have good mechanical filtration before it. A well designed sump or microscreen. Additionally, the bead filter should be dumped daily. The fish S... that makes it passed the 1st mechanical will do a great job of feeding heterophic bacteria. Better to leave that room for nitrifiers and other beneficial bacteria.
    Leave room for two or three bio-filters so you can experiment with the different stiles.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Midnight: I have an Aquadyne 2.2, which I've had for over 4 years. I'm using the Sequence 7200. I like the bead filter as a mechanical filter for capturing smaller debris. They should not be used without some pre-filtration to capture the bulk of the algae glarf. They become too clogged otherwise. I think the Aquadyne remains a pretty good bead filter, but there are several on the market and somebody is always coming out with a new feature of one sort or another. I'm not so sure about the gadgetry, but before you copy what I have, check around. I'd suggest you start a new thread asking for bead filter comments and recommendations... try on this board and on Koiphen and Koi Shack. You'll get an earful!
    Try using the Ultima II filters, they don't clog as easily as the Aquadines do.

Lee
    Sansai

This was a thread started almost two years ago, wasn't it?

Wow, you really must find something else to do at that late hour of night-

This recent post of yours - which contained information and data which is no so outdated via a host of various new information, as well as, the manufacture of various filters and new filtration equipemtn and systems which are being produced by a variety of international and regional aquaculture oriented companies and who are now 'shipping' newer and better filters, motors and such - than you indicated that you have...and, recommended makes you sound sleepy and blurry eyed.

Dear friend, why you even bothered to respond to that old acorn....even at that late hour...is a mystery.

For goodness sakes - go to sleep!

You're working too hard....

Hug's and best wishes,

Your pal

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Hi Lee

I'm confused. Which of these Late Night with Jay Leno posters are you referring to??

It was great to see you again in Japan. Hope your new girl arrives/arrived safely and all is well.

See you next year

Regards

Mike

Lee
    Sansai

t'was your last post on this thread that I just received...ol'e man'

Dear Late Nighter,

Ya mon, de big girl she made it to Ray Abell's for da past week-ends, big show-off time and sale, mud pull and eat all you can week-end.

No. I am not going to show her. I am bringing her here to he own big bad female pond as soon as I clear da' pond of it'z present parasite invasion....which I have been suffering these past two plus months.

I have lost more fish in past two months than I have lost in past six years.

Go figure?

today, did a double PP treatment and will do another double next week.

Now, off tomorrow at dawn for Miami and the long drive to Naples, Florida...as four my dramtically beautiful babies are on their way from Virginia/Cayman Islands/Japan...for that show.

Those Florida folks, tink' dat us island guys are all about rum, domino's, reggae and 'chasing women' - we also know the worlds most beautiful koi!

Hey, I just might see you before next year. WhI have fish, I have plane, I can travel...And, certainly can show where-ever?

In fact, seriously considering it after da' ol'e Leer got us to Richmond this past week-end without so much as a bump.

Thus, easily could bring three/four or more of da big baddest gals...to any show in the country with the bigger J' model, coming next year.

Hug's

from da'island'z

Lee A.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast