Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

KFG: The old pond a little over 4500 gallons. Definitely low-tech, labor intensive to maintain, only 4' deep at the deepest spot and poorly configured/shaped. Due to site limitations, personal foibles (garden issues & aesthetics), and zoning requirements, the new pond will not be my "ideal" pond. But, even I draw the line at razing the house to make the pond fit better.

Tony: Since I am doing virtually nothing myself, the cost is in the same range as using gunite. In many ways gunite allows more flexibility. In my situation, however, the extra time involved and the lack of contractors truly knowledgeable of koi pond design makes this approach work much better ... if it works!

And, here's some progress shots in late afternoon, when it had cooled down to about 91F in the shade ... and these guys have been in the sun most of the day. It was a scorcher, with not a cloud in the sky all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01668.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01669.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01671.jpg  

And here they are still at it as the sun disappears. (It is cooler when it gets dark!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01675.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01676.jpg  

Progress shots in the morning when the light is better.

Oh, in case you have the idea that the whole yard is getting destroyed, everything out of the line of fire is doing fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01674.jpg  

fascinating to behold! With all your experience i might have you drop by and give me a bid to redo mine! (lol) thanks Mike, for sharing!

Tategoi
    Mike M.

Great Pics, great project...A few questions that I'm sure you've done the research on, and have the answers to:

1. Your soil looks sandy is this why you didn't spray the polyurea directly onto the sides of the pond hole?

2. Since you seem to be using hollow tile for sides of pond are you going to pour a concrete bottom.

3. If you have a concrete bottom and block walls, why didn't you render the tile and seal the pond with CIM.

The answers to these questions will be great for future reference on new ponds...

One last request...While the pictures are great, they don't really show the relationship between foot prints of the "Old" and "New" ponds... Will you post a "Top View" sketch of your property showing house and ponds... Just how big will be new pond be???

Now that you're completing your pond, all you have to do, is save 25 grand to buy a momotaro Jumbo Tosai to swim in it...

Good luck with the completion of the pond...Am looking forward to the finished product...

Aloha! Mike

MikeT: I'll get to your questions, but a bit rushed this morning. The concrete block has rebar running through the open space ... a hint of what is to come.

Status shots just after sunrise: The filter pit getting mortared block walls. The pond with un-mortared block walls rising. And, from the bottom looking across.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01682.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01681.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01680.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01679.jpg  

The pond is kinda egg shaped. The widest interior width is 15.5'. The longest dimension is 22.5'. A tad smaller than I'd like in a perfect world, but I was not willing to sacrifice camellias. [The hole was another 1.5' (approx) all around to accomodate block and overdig.] Side walls 5'. Depth at bottom drains is over 6' ... a bit deeper than originally planned. Due to shifting the pond a bit due to site conditions, I was not sure just what the size would turn out to be. I took interior dimensions this morning.

More later. It will be a busy day. Rain expected tomorrow.

This is an intersting project MikeM thanks. I to prolly in a few years may want to Expand. Don't have to but am interested in this application. I think I like it only because with gunite looks like it takes so much water volumne away from original design and the repair factor looks much easier.

Cannot wait for more pics Mike and thanks

Joe

Sansai
    Looks great so far and will all come together quite nicely I am sure when finished. A question regarding the construction methods if you will...I noticed that you used standard 8 X 8 X 16 blocks for the qt/hospital tank. Did you consider using double open ended blocks? They would have allowed the grout to flow around and between all of the blocks creating a more solid fill than the columns of the standard blocks. You could have used all bond beam blocks also in that. You also indicated that you were not going to motar the the blocks for the pond. Are you going to grout them?

I am enjoying the pictures and look forward to more.

Steve

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast