Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

Joe: Before the crew quits for the day they may get to "fixing" the basketweave. If not, tomorrow. There is still a lot of work to be done on the pond shell itself... cap blocks, more concrete/mortar, some returns still to be mortared in place. We have experienced delays as a result of shortages of block and high demand for concrete. Between a boom in new construction, hurricane re-construction and some project that has reserved 1 million blocks (!), Justin has had to spend a good bit of time making arrangements with suppliers. But, the crew turns its attention to other parts of the project and put in longer hours to stay on schedule. Right now we are behind by maybe a half day, but can still meet goal if the weather holds out.

Oh, and Joe, thanks for crediting me with having thought it all out, but I don't deserve it. The method and techniques being used are ones Keirin has adapted/refined. I had a goal in mind and knew the filtration I wanted, the turnover rate and the like; but when it comes to how to build it, I'm all thumbs. As the project has proceeded, there have been a lot of questions pop into my mind about details that had never occurred to me before. The crew has had immediate explanations of how the particular detail will be handled. I just try to stay out of their way, while staying on top of what's happening.

As I was heading in for dinner, the vortex was being installed. I'm hoping it will be big enough. The one compromise that had to be made to my desire to have each filter system operate independently was having to go with one vortex settlement chamber prior to the two Nexus units. I'd have preferred to have each preceded by its own vortex, but there just was not space to do it without eliminating the small patio area between it and the pond ... wouldn't be much fun to have no place to sit to enjoy the koi!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01727.jpg  

It is now close to 9pm and the crew is still at work using the house outdoor spotlights and the 'dozer's cab roof light for illumination. Capstone is being mortared on the pond by Justin & Taylor, while Dale & John install plumbing from the pond to the filter pit, stopping at the vortex along the way. Dale flies home on a morning flight tomorrow. Hope he has time for a shower!
    I'm looking forward to meeting him again sometime to talk koi & lizards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01733.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01736.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01735.jpg  

Not much new for today's early morning shots. Still a lot of dirt to shovel; and I thought it was neat how the rebar at the skimmer has been nestled into the capstone.

Off to work. I'll miss most of what happens on the first day of the second week of the project (counting disassembly day).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01737.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01738.jpg  

I rushed to get home from work only to find that much of the day's accomplishments are buried now. But the "basketweave" is getting solved: a plaster of mortar smoothed over the surface. Notice the dirt covering the pond bottom. It was purposefully spread so that falling mortar would not stick to the smooth bottom. It will be swept out when the plastering is done.

Ooops! Here is the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01739.jpg  

The vortex is plumbed. The black pipes upright behind it contain the knife valves controlling flow from the pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01742.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01741.jpg  

Meanwhile, the Nexus units are in place and John continues with plumbing connections. Sure wish we had another foot of width along the side of the house so the filter pit could be wider. But, we've made the best use of the space that we can. I don't know if I'd agree with Henry's "die for" comment, but I am pleased with how it is turning out. Anyone thinking of doing a similar project should try to design the filter pit/house larger than is immediately needed. There will be new "gotta have" gizmos that I'll not have room to accomodate. (Maybe an addition in a couple of years? ... No way my spouse would ever allow it. Susan has been completely supportive of this project, but I don't think a repeat performance is in the cards for a really long time!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01743.jpg  

Sansai
    Mike,
    Thanks for taking the time too post all of the pictures and explanations of what is going on. It is looking great and I can't wait too see the ending.
    If you don't mind I have a couple of questions since I am basically located in the same area.
    Did you plan on having it built this time of year because of water table concerns and was there any contingency plans if they did hit the table?
    How are you going too get in and out of the pit and how are you going too cover it?
    Keep the updates coming and thanks for letting us know what you would do different along the way.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast