Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea Spray Liner Pond

RobR: Water table is not an issue for me. Our house is at the high point in our neighborhood. A block away is a lake, 20+' downhill, which marks the water table. If I had to deal with a high water table, I'd want to check on the possibility of having the pond partially above grade. You've probably heard of empty swimming pools popping out of the ground when the water table rises in low lying areas. I'd sure not want to empty the pond and discover it starting to float like a boat. Maybe not a serious risk, but even a small percentage risk would deter me. I think in your area it is not unusual to have the water table rise & fall several feet from the end of the dry season to the end of the hurricane season.

There will be a wood "staircase" into the filter pit. Originally Carl had wanted to do poured concrete steps, but with the tight space, the stairs would have had to begun away from the pit and land at the bottom. That would have interfered with where I want fencing installed. So, had to compromise between twin preferences. Justin lost out on getting some more concrete work & John gets to try his hand at carpentry. .... Wait until you see the simple little cover he is making for the vortex. There will be a cover for the filter pit, also fairly simple. If it had a real roof structure, lot line setbacks would be a problem.

Around 8:30pm, after finishing dinner and watching the weather forecast calling for rain tonight and maybe tomorrow, too (50% chance of storms ), I went out to check what the guys were doing. This shot of Taylor cleaning up tools for the night & John working on a PVC fitting by the light of the 'dozer spots, really captures the mood. Sorta like a camp-out. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01746.jpg  

Meanwhile, Justin is still working on the pond. The plastering of the block complete, he's turned his attention to laying a course of flagstone atop the capstone. The patio area and walkway around the pond eventually will be flagstone, but that is a different project. Justin is doing the flagstone at the pond edge so it slopes away from the pond "just right". When the polyurea liner is sprayed, it will meld the under surface with the pond. (Justin does such nice flagstone work I'm wishing he could stay over and do that project, too!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01745.jpg  

Well, tomorrow afternoon is to be the "big event" ... the polyurea "spray crew" arrives and the pond gets sprayed. Turns out I have to be in Tampa in the morning and it is doubtful I'll be back in time to watch. (Probably no post-dawn photos tomorrow because I'll be on the road.) However, Susan will stand in for me to get some good photos of the spraying to post (and for me to see!) Of course, with a front coming through and a 50% chance of storms, don't know if it can get done or not. We are getting close to the finale, so I guess a dramatic pause is not out of order.

....there was once a time when I was perfectly content with my little guppy pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01731.jpg  

Pretty much rained out today (Day 9). But I'm told there is something neat happening that should make a good photo ... if the rain stops long enough for me to get a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Pretty much rained out today (Day 9). But I'm told there is something neat happening that should make a good photo ... if the rain stops long enough for me to get a shot!

Mike, I took the day off to see if you posted any pics Anyhow bummer it rained. Special Eh! now you got swarming sharks for your pics.

Joe

Yes, Joe, it's been one storm after another moving across the peninsula. Tornadoes spawned to the north and south, but just rain here. It stops just long enough to think it is ending, and then another line of storms comes through. Supposed to continue for two more days!

Even in our sandy soil, you get a lot of mud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01763.jpg  

So, when you need to do something, you do what you can.

"Koi Pond Umbrella"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01752.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01753.jpg  

It took the whole afternoon to get a tent, but as soon as it was up, Justin was back to work on the final flagstones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01758.jpg  

Meanwhile, down in the pond, our new crew member, "Kerry the Spray Man", is getting rid of the water that's pooled at the bottom drains. (This makes the contours of the bottom more visible anyway. ) Following which, he begins vacuuming out the mud etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01754.jpg   Polyurea Spray Liner Pond-dsc01756.jpg  

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast