Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower thread continuation

Mike: IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND, i THINK WE COULD ALL LEARN FROM SOME PICS OF SOME OF YOUR KOI AND HOW THEIR SKIN IS DOING!

Sansai
    Keep laughing about me, "moo", and I'll keep laughing at your moronic and ignorant views of americans. The fact that you sterotype people from one of the most diverse nations in history shows what a fool you are and invalidates any point you might try to make. To the people who are posting rational statements, please keep them coming, they are the only thing dragging me back to this thread and continuining to read the drivel some people are posting.

MikeS, what if I don't doubt do I still get to come to UK and have room and board?

You being adopted Brother of Momotaro and all

Joe

Oyagoi
    I agree with you completely Mike, and one of the things we are going to do here in a wholesaler's facility is note the drop in death rates, and show pics of the same supply of koi and their condition both before and after the bh showers. We already know we will see a difference, which is why the guy wants to run the test. He has had influence on all breeders and wholesalers and pet shops in the islands for decades, and hopes to see everyone change over to bhm.

I think I posted it before, one of the reasons I got interested in this media is due to a problem that plagues koi here in the carribean. Due to the intense sun and some other factors (water conditions, etc), we have had alot of trouble maintaining decent beni. All of the reddish koi tend to fade to yellowish orange and lose definition and stability as you described. I am the first one I know of down here able to maintain deep red and deep reddish orange and actually see it improve with time rather than detiorate.

That is why that wholesaler is interested in the media. He has been here for decades and has not seen anyone maintain reds here on koi. Now something different is happening and he is excited about the future possibilities of koi here from the carribean now. As well we have located recently a fresh soft water aquifer that we will being setting mud ponds with bh showers up on at the new year.

One of the mistakes previous breeders here made was choice of water source and filtration systems, as well as stocking styles and habits. We are going to go back to using the islands natural similarities to Japan's volcanic islands. Our soil and natural water sources are identical to thiers, and our weather only slightly hotter which should extend growing season alot.

Our goal will be to get to a volume level of new hatchings comparable to a Japanese breeder's, and compare our results with a similar bloodline to theirs. I know it will take years and decades to get close to their results, but believe due to our natural surroundings we can do it!

I find it interesting none of the critics talk about that, only how they can keep low stocked ponds with similar water parameters. Anyone can do that with water changes, but that does not improve koi appearance.

I would be willing to take you up on the trip offer Mike, does it include airfare? I will bring a video camera with me and post close ups when I get back.

Oyagoi
    I also beleive there is much mroe to bhm than FIR or pore size, although both are certainly factors. There are many other factors that are probably contributing to it's obvious high quality. Just a few of them are piezo and dielectric properties(electromagnetic fields), flexibility, epansion and contraction(like a living thing), texture, structure, material compounds, etc etc...

The most important thing to any koi keeper is the high quality of koi it promotes. For me, even for a breeder (especially for a breeder), the cost is a negligible investment that produces returns nothing else can at this time!!!

Joe, the offer is even open to you! But, can't pay to keep you here forever

Pics of high quality Koi (raised in my Showered ponds) to be posted hopefully tomorrow...

In the meantime... check out Iain Graham's Tosai from Feb last year, in the latest Koi-Bito 80cm Quest article. These KOi were between 23 and 28cm when Iain bought them, and measured generally between 59 and 68cm as Nisai this year. These are 'cheap' Koi, raised in Showered ponds.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Yes i am just about to pack up and sit down with a nice cold beer and read all about it

I hope to see you and Dunc on the weekend and will no doubt have a good old chat with me old mate Mr Hart!!!!!!

Gazza

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snaden
    I can't understand why someone would want to devise some oddball way of 'testing' Bacteria House, where the 'real World' results woudn't be apparent, or why people test this media in a pond, and compare with another media, when they haven't even stuck to any of the 'rule of thumb' running principles in the first place? There is only one way to test it, and that is, to build a pond that is correctly utilising the media, and then run that pond with real Koi, with real potential, with an aim of getting 'real results', as opposed to trying to prove that it won't work!
    Can you expand on that a little bit more? I'm not sure who else is testing a BS right now or how they are doing it but I know I am testing one. If you wouldn't mind looking at my webpage under Bakki experiment and see if I might be one of those people you are talking about. If I am then please explain what you think I am doing wrong. As I stated earlier in this thread I am open to suggestions. With the amount of time and money I have in this believe me that my goal is for it to work. Thanks .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    Not all testing has to be done with the intention of invalidating the media. One reason to test would be to figure out if there might be long-term side effects that we haven't considered. Another reason to test might be to figure out WHY the media works, so we can improve on it! A lot of people say BHM works, but those with any sense of reality will say they aren't quite sure why. Testing outside of the standard method of using BHM will help to narrow down which parts of the overall system are most important to its effectiveness.

Some say BHM is no better than lava rock, others say it is far better. Testing is important in this regard, because if you can show lava rock is just as good, you've found a darn cheap method for people to filter their ponds! If you can show BHM is better, you're back to trying to figure out why.

If you could figure out exactly what little feature of BHM makes it effective, you might open up the options for DIY-ers to make their own, or other companies to develop cheaper alternatives without the huge inter-continental shipping costs.

Nisai
    Hi all
    You have a good point but then you have explain
    why lava rock is as good or better

Steve W

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast