Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower thread continuation

Would there be any doubt if this product was sold by a breeder of 30 years experience? If Sakai Isawa was selling this, it would be the next best thing right? I know alot of people would jump on the bandwagon. A system is a system, if it manages the water quality then there is no issue. But from what I read from other boards is the fact there are Momotaro haters out there.

Sansai
    Momotaro haters? I'm a complete newbie to the hobby. I had heard of BHM well before I had any idea what a Momotaro was. And I hated the claims the second I saw them. It doesn't matter if it comes from Maeda, the Pope, or Bill Gates... if it's worshipped and surrounded by false science, it's going to bother me. If momotaro marketed the media without the FIR magic claims and the other shaky science, if they provided real data and usage guidelines instead of a five second marketing blurb, I would be a lot less inclined to have issue with it.

edit: why do people DEFEND a manufacturer, selling a product? Why do they find it neccesary to search for secret motivation in the thoughts of the skeptics? Why do they worship this product like it's some holy relic? Why do I have to be a momotaro hater, or a manufacturer of a product? I'm neither - I'm a scientist. My only motivation is truth.

Jumbo
    Hi Maurice, I'll be over for the ZNA show in November and again in Jan. for the ALL Japan and then travel down south. JR

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR
    Mike, I'll be over for the Northern ZNA show two weeks from now. How far are you from the Manchester airport? JR
    3 hours,

Maurice.

Jumbo
    Forget it Valac, with this bunch you drink ALL the Kool aid or you're an outcast. About the most intolerant bunch I've met in the hobby so far. JR

Jumbo
    North or South Maurice?

Sansai
    Mike S's quote: Yes, the intention was/is to put bottom water directly over the Showers, without blocking. As for the 10% changes... this is something that hasn't been quantified as such. But, I have advocated using a TDS meter to determine whether the water changes are enough or not. JR seems to have quoted me on Koiphen as saying that water changes aren't necessary, and that a TDS meter will tell you if any water needs changing at all. This has never been the case! I have always maintained that water in a Showered pond should be changed in the same percentage as a conventional pond.

As for the 1500 ton pond... these Showers are an add on to the pond, and as such, the water that feeds them, is drawn though the pond wall, straight into a pump chamber, and up over the Showers. For the life of me, I can't figure why they clean the 1500 ton pond?! Daisuke says that it is because the pond is so big, with the drains being so far apart. They literally scrub the walls and floor, even though, to my mind, they are always clean anyway. It doesn't matter how fantastic the water is, they still drain it! As for water changes on this pond... 3 to 5% per day is the norm for most of the year.

Hi Tewa

My understanding from the above posting is that:

1. There should be daily water changes for BH
    2. 10% change and use tds meter to see if this is enough

Nobody has replied on whether BH used in submerged manner (as in Maeda's 1500ton pond) may or may not have anaerobic biological activity. Any idea?

To be frank I am a "hater" of Momotaro kois as what I have paid for so far had not given me the quality that I expected. Maybe I was not good enough at selecting Momotaro kois, or at the price range I usually pay for Momo kois (US$2-5k) one should not expect much. That doesn't mean I should hate his media altogether.

JR has got a point on the many snake oil products that had come and gone. We had been bitten by the many cobras too many times not to be wary. So far we have been told BH is very good. But how good really? I suppose the best way to know is to see or try it myself. It will be nice if JR can take up Mike's offer and give us some feedback. Mike is the offer open to all?

Thanks, dtbh

Quote Originally Posted by Valarc
    Momotaro haters? I'm a complete newbie to the hobby. I had heard of BHM well before I had any idea what a Momotaro was. And I hated the claims the second I saw them. It doesn't matter if it comes from Maeda, the Pope, or Bill Gates... if it's worshipped and surrounded by false science, it's going to bother me. If momotaro marketed the media without the FIR magic claims and the other shaky science, if they provided real data and usage guidelines instead of a five second marketing blurb, I would be a lot less inclined to have issue with it.

edit: why do people DEFEND a manufacturer, selling a product? Why do they find it neccesary to search for secret motivation in the thoughts of the skeptics? Why do they worship this product like it's some holy relic? Why do I have to be a momotaro hater, or a manufacturer of a product? I'm neither - I'm a scientist. My only motivation is truth.
    Interesting opinion...the bacteria house is a mystery...maybe someone should break the stuff down to say, "Hey this is why it works or not works" so we can end this thread. Yes there are skeptics, that live by scientific facts...There are people out there that find comfort in what makes them feel good not because science says so.

The next time I am at Momotaro I will ask Mr. Maeda what is the secret behind this BH or maybe have him write a 24page essay for those who find comfort in reading something meaningless. Like I said, who cares about the stuff, should it matter to anyone why it works...I am more interested in the food we can't get and the fish.

Anyways, I am done with this thread...I hate koi!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Like I said, who cares about the stuff, should it matter to anyone why it works.
    I'm quite thankful not everyone shares this mentality. If more people thought like you, we'd still be stuck in the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarc
    I'm quite thankful not everyone shares this mentality. If more people thought like you, we'd still be stuck in the stone age.
    I am thankful too, I am glad everyone has a difference of opinions...This thread needs to go to the "Myth Busters" and not stay on this board...

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast