Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower thread continuation

Tosai
    For those interested, Koiboy just posted a link over on Koiphen to his updated home page with info on his modified shower. http://www.koipondfiltration.com/trickle%20tower.htm There's also detailed info on a DIY rotary drum filter, over my head Looks like the specific closed sided crates he's using are the RPC-6428, link http://www.rehrigpacific.com/supply_1.html#

I need 10 crates myself and was thinking about going by Rehrig's headquarters here in Los Angeles to pick some up. Not sure how many are in a pallet, but if there's interest I'd be willing to coordinate. They're collapsible so shipping should be reasonable.

ideal shower shape

Hi guys

I have personally used milk crates myself, Have even gone to cutting out pond liner and sticking it on the inside of the milk crate.

Stackable containers have a slope where the bottom of the container is shorter than the top this allows the water to drop in the mid areas of the next container rather than the sides this is very important as a lot of water can just run down the sides and continue to run down the sides of the next container.

I have also tried drilling holes in containers. I prefer to use the milk crates as the wholes are large but more importantly the actual surface that is physically touching the media is smaller than say when you have the bottom of the container with holes. when you place the media directly above drilled holes you will find that some debri remain trapped in the container in spaces where there is least turbulence or greatest resistance of flow down to the next container.

Like JG said just get a plastic container of the right shape cut out the bottom and visit your local steel manufacturer and get a stainless steel grid with square holes that are large and where the metal is only around 2mm thick.

With showers or ponds that use showers if you have an area of space that allows some degree of settlement the fines will always settle there even if you have great volume turnover this will affect the clarity of the water.

The whole concept of a proper bakki shower pond is there is no where for the fines to settle ie pond floor is sloped to the bottom drain. Bottom drain is connected to a small pump chamber using a submersible pump that sucks from the bottom of the chamber there by preventing settlement and up and over the showers. Obviously there should be the right amount of media and appropriate flow rate, not too slow and not too fast. For every 1 ton of volume turnover you should have 4 to 5kg of media. That is for the most optimum setup, for eg 10 ton pond with 30 ton turnover (say 24 ton through bottom drain and 6 ton through skimmer) with around 120 to 150kg. A simple and elegant system (saves money on building too

TEWA
    There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.
    http://www.tewakoi.com

Oyagoi
    Hey tewa. Good to see you over here, how are you and how is your hand doing after the operation?

The stainless grid will work also. I was referring to the plastic ceiling grids, not the metal ones. They are a little cheaper for those of you on a tight budget.

Rehrig has all types of crates, not sure if they will sell to the general public, they did not used to. But nowadays, manufacturers don't seem to mind cutting out the guys who got them where they are, so maybe they will now. If they do sell to the general public, I would appreciate it if someone let me know that.

Greg or any breeder or retail store should be able to buy wholesale from them directly, lots of middle guys pretending to be them have sites up, so make sure you are really on their site if you are a breeder or dealer. It should be rehrig.com, not rehrigpacific or any other rehrigs.
    For those of you interested, maybe you could drop Gregbickal an email so he would know if he can unload them or if a pallet full will sit there using up his capital for eons.

Any type of settlement, the best being a vortex, will remove sediment and slightly improve clarity in a pond. Momotaro uses vortexes on their biggest showered pond.

So in terms of tons, we americans think in gallons, how many kg of BH is recommended for a 2,000 gallon and a 30,000 gallon on seperate systems?

Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal
    Ive looked all over for Bean Sprout Crates and couldnt find any. Got a picture of what they look like? Is there another common type of crates that would work? I have asked around for the 24qt crates (like in this picture) and cant find any local. Id like to get 16.

My dad use to be VP of a Stainless Steel Manufacturing company.... I might go get a quote from them on what it would cost to make me a set of SS ones If he was still working there, it would only cost me materials
    I got lucky with these 2, but I am on the look out for more.... I love these crates cuz they are exactly like the ones at momotaro as far as the hole size....
    The crates are 12"H x 12"D x 19"L, probably need 40KGs for this shower...

Lava rock and BHM have spaces inwhich microbes and bacteria can colonize and form deep, complex, stable relationships.
    So.. .What happens when the media gets clogged and needs changing?... Do you order more, or can it be lightly rinsed to maintain the bacterial colonies...???

Oyagoi
    It doesn't get clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by adreamer2
    So.. .What happens when the media gets clogged and needs changing?... Do you order more, or can it be lightly rinsed to maintain the bacterial colonies...???
    BH Media should never get clogged, seems to me that the more water run through the media the better it is.

And this acts as a filter?.... How does the debris get collected without falling into the water?... I know... this is all news to me... Just trying to determine if I think it's right for my little guys...

Smile conversions

With showers or ponds that use showers if you have an area of space that allows some degree of settlement the fines will always settle there even if you have great volume turnover this will affect the clarity of the water.

The whole concept of a proper bakki shower pond is there is no where for the fines to settle ie pond floor is sloped to the bottom drain. Bottom drain is connected to a small pump chamber using a submersible pump that sucks from the bottom of the chamber there by preventing settlement and up and over the showers. Obviously there should be the right amount of media and appropriate flow rate, not too slow and not too fast. For every 1 ton of volume turnover you should have 4 to 5kg of media. That is for the most optimum setup, for eg 10 ton pond with 30 ton turnover (say 24 ton through bottom drain and 6 ton through skimmer) with around 120 to 150kg. A simple and elegant system (saves money on building too

TEWA[/QUOTE

Lets see 1Kilogram = 2.2 lbs. and 1 ton = 264 US gal or 220 UK(Imp) gal
    How was the big move Tewa? Hope everything is back in order.

Oyagoi
    Due to the bacteria strains the media promotes and the affect the FIR has on both the water and the bacterias, the waste is converted into gasses and gassed off into the atmosphere via the shower.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast