Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower thread continuation

Red face Dreaming Big... An oversimplified explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by adreamer2
    And this acts as a filter?.... How does the debris get collected without falling into the water?... I know... this is all news to me... Just trying to determine if I think it's right for my little guys...
    Every high end fitration system dreams big in its attempt at alchemy. The ideal would be to create a biological ecosystem that is self-sustaining and self-purifying. If we could create the "perfect" system all waste byproducts would be eventually converted to atmospheric gases (Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide) and Water. Refining turds into these things without any undesirable byproducts is just about as easy as turning lead into gold, but still we try.
    Any biofilter is designed to create an environment where a wide variety of Bacterial Colonies peacefully coexist in a symbiotic relationship, each performing its designated role in the food chain. Some eat solid wastes (fish poop) and convert them into ammonia (bacterial urine), which is then eaten by another type of bacteria and converted into nitrite (bacterial farts), which is then consumed by yet another bacterial cousin and converted into nitrate (more flatulence) which is eventually broken down into nitrogen gas, carbon dioxide, and oxygen by other bacterial action and plant life which take up Nitrates, Carbonates, and Water as part of their food chain (plants are carbohydrate consumers/converters too).
    The ideal media, which BH attempts to be, offers an environment where the solids are thoroughly broken down (dissolved by injestion) over time which at least in theory keeps it from plugging off. The BH doesn't try to be a solids "filter" so much as it does a solids "digester".
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

hey king kong

Hey mate

how are you the big move is alright quite smooth, only thing is new place means few friends and new years was damn quiet for me, how about you mate did you have a good new years, i haven seen you on for a while either.

tewa

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear
    Every high end fitration system dreams big in its attempt at alchemy. The ideal would be to create a biological ecosystem that is self-sustaining and self-purifying. If we could create the "perfect" system all waste byproducts would be eventually converted to atmospheric gases (Oxygen, Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide) and Water. Refining turds into these things without any undesirable byproducts is just about as easy as turning lead into gold, but still we try.
    Any biofilter is designed to create an environment where a wide variety of Bacterial Colonies peacefully coexist in a symbiotic relationship, each performing its designated role in the food chain. Some eat solid wastes (fish poop) and convert them into ammonia (bacterial urine), which is then eaten by another type of bacteria and converted into nitrite (bacterial farts), which is then consumed by yet another bacterial cousin and converted into nitrate (more flatulence) which is eventually broken down into nitrogen gas, carbon dioxide, and oxygen by other bacterial action and plant life which take up Nitrates, Carbonates, and Water as part of their food chain (plants are carbohydrate consumers/converters too).
    The ideal media, which BH attempts to be, offers an environment where the solids are thoroughly broken down (dissolved by injestion) over time which at least in theory keeps it from plugging off. The BH doesn't try to be a solids "filter" so much as it does a solids "digester".
    nicely put my friend

Originally Posted by PapaBear
    As I was enjoying my Oatbran cereal, this late in the day, because I wanted to, i thought about how it was running through my body... Got a different view of milk now.......

Well... Thank you for the vision..... I'm sure my fish will appreciate it!!! hahahaaa

Talking MmMm Tasty

Quote Originally Posted by adreamer2
    As I was enjoying my Oatbran cereal, this late in the day, because I wanted to, i thought about how it was running through my body... Got a different view of milk now.......

Well... Thank you for the vision..... I'm sure my fish will appreciate it!!! hahahaaa
    I'm sure your oatbran will never taste quite the same
    The funny thing is, our bodies really do give us a pretty good picture of the whole process. Digestion begins in the mouth with good bacteria living in our saliva starting the process, passing it on to the bacteria and enzyme soup in our stomachs and intestines, and in the end everything that won't make a good turd becomes us (kinda gives "poop for brains" a whole new meaning doesn't it )
    Time for dinner

Daihonmei
    larry I hate to tell ya but unless you redo your post you are going to get a week in Brian's disneyland..

Shhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    larry I hate to tell ya but unless you redo your post you are going to get a week in Brian's disneyland..
    you'll wake 'em up

Daihonmei
    no they have passed over your post and it stands and you live....must have been something else

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryC
    In my case I needed containers that would hold the water in since my bakki shower would not be located next to the pond but around the side of the house (gravity fed back to the pond via two 4" lines). I found some heavy duty interlocking shipping containers that were the size I was looking for. All I had to do is drill all the holes in the bottoms (except the last tray which will have the two 4" lines). I also drilled holes near the top of each container to allow air to flow. The five 48" long, 15" wide, 11" tall containers cost $200 including shipping. That saved me over $1000 over the stainless steel unit. At 4000 holes drilled, my labor worked out to 25 cents per hole.
    Hi Henry,

I am quite impressed with this solution that you have here. Are you able to provide further information as to the make, model and where you got it from. Appreciate your assistance.

cheers..

Here is the link to US Plastic where I got them. I used the 48x15x11 model. As others have mentioned, it probably would have been easier to cut out larger areas and drop in a pre-made crate.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=2774

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast