Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    No no no on the transport tank. Most high enders who spent big bucks on elaborate transport tanks, that I have known over the the years, have all gone back to box/bags. The dealers in Japan use transport tanks- its a whole different thing and there whole different reasons. In the USA, you will eventually have a broken fin ( I've seen pecs and dorsals broken in half and once, a tail!) when moving koi in a transport tank- especially long distances. Now I KNOW that we all stubble onto the idea of a transport tank at some point in our koi showing experience. After all this is how the Japanese do it!And it 'seems' like a neat idea- more air, room, no confinement- YOU WANT confinement, especially with the big girls- they can get like rodeo stock when being transported!
    I'd rather have a nose rub- which can be fixed with a tiny dab of steriod cream, that a broken dorsal- which can't be fixed and renders the show fish worthless.
    A word to the wise is sufficient.

JR
    Why is Japan different? What are their roads better than ours? And why does a broken fin eventually happen only in the USA?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Why is Japan different? What are their roads better than ours? And why does a broken fin eventually happen only in the USA?
    In Japan they use heavy duty plastic transportation tanks to move there koi in small distance and for bigger kois they use metal tanks that's foam insulated in the inside and big enough to fit on the back of their trucks to transport kois to and from the shows. They don't use the small plastic transport tanks that is sold in the states. I was told that kois do better in transport tanks because there are spaces for them to move around versus staying in one place for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEXAS View Post
    In Japan they use heavy duty plastic transportation tanks to move there koi in small distance and for bigger kois they use metal tanks that's foam insulated in the inside and big enough to fit on the back of their trucks to transport kois to and from the shows. They don't use the small plastic transport tanks that is sold in the states. I was told that kois do better in transport tanks because there are spaces for them to move around versus staying in one place for a period of time.
    Ah I see. So it is the container itself that is different.

Interesting- I was told koi do better packed as to avoid swimming space! Btw- these are just personal opinions and I recommend folks do what they are comfortable with. If you like transport tanks, fine... If you like bagging, fine... I'm a bag fellow myself. Than again I have small koi <26".
    cencalkoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Elbagin is a good thing to add to your list.

Rick
    Besides water conditioners and salt i too use Elbagin . i found out years ago that it keeps the water in great condition. one year I traveled from So Ca to Nor-cal
    for a show. . Sunday morning i was going to change the water in my transport tank as i had always done. That year for what ever reason i opened the tank and splashed the water
    around to smell the water and found the water did not smell . so I decided not to change water. Got home Sunday night tired put the fish back in the ponds and went to sleep. Monday morning went to work
    tank still full of water tues after noon still at work I thought about the water still in the tank so i started to empty out the water expecting a very foul odor . Too my surprise no smell at all the Elbagin
    kept the water as clean as the day i put it in .
    I now use Elbagin and salt 2 week before a show to help condition the fish before a show. Crazy maybe but , it works for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Besides water conditioners and salt i too use Elbagin . i found out years ago that it keeps the water in great condition. one year I traveled from So Ca to Nor-cal
    for a show. . Sunday morning i was going to change the water in my transport tank as i had always done. That year for what ever reason i opened the tank and splashed the water
    around to smell the water and found the water did not smell . so I decided not to change water. Got home Sunday night tired put the fish back in the ponds and went to sleep. Monday morning went to work
    tank still full of water tues after noon still at work I thought about the water still in the tank so i started to empty out the water expecting a very foul odor . Too my surprise no smell at all the Elbagin
    kept the water as clean as the day i put it in .
    I now use Elbagin and salt 2 week before a show to help condition the fish before a show. Crazy maybe but , it works for me .
    Am interested in hearing more please. What conditioners and process? Thanks-

My preference a Transport tank, PVC bag holding a 1000lt's of water between a S/s frame, transporting koi between 75 and 85 cm for distances of 1200 Km over a week-end with no damages the past 5 years.

Sansai
    I noticed at several shows that some were using packets of CO2 absorbant in the bags. Any idea where these can be obtained?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910