Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

Aaahhhhh!! Finally, someone who UNDERSTANDS the correct way to use a transport tank.

Those huge 150-quart Igloo coolers are handy for hauling fish. I think the insulation is an important factor. You can run the air line through a bored black rubber stopper sized to fit the drain port, but be sure the stopper is in REALLY tight. There's a real-life horror story to go along with this detail. The cooler will slosh some water even when the lid is snapped shut so you need a truck, trailer, or perhaps, that huge liner bag Steve mentioned. When you get where you're going, you can drain most of the water and carry the whole cooler in - assuming there is someone to grab the handle on the other end.

Put ammonia binder (Amquel, ChlorAm-X) on your list too. I also have a cannister of salt in my kit - just in case.

-stev ehopk

Hi Steve E,

Be my guest. I view the web as public domain unless stated otherwise. Some years ago our Aussie friends lifted an article from our site. They prefaced it with an introductory piece, printed the whole document in its entirerity, and then finished with a few more paragraphs bringing it in line with their own exigencies.

Infused with some Aussie humour poking fun at the Brits it made for a good informative read. Since then I've followed the same format for my club.

rgds Bern

Sansai
    Elbagin is a good thing to add to your list.

Rick

Tip for transporting boxes with koi in a car; always place the box with the long side square to the driving direction. That way the water content will not move totally to one end of the bag with every braking action (and having the koi bump their nose or tail). It is easyer to make smooth turns then to avoid braking.......

I second the tip from Bekko about adding Amquel 100%! Together with Polyaqua (an artificial slime coat conditioner from the same manufacturer as Amquel) you can reduce the risks of transportation even more.

Clubs could help out by arranging that every participant gets a set of the waterconditioners from Allfish (see KB issue 4). These products effectively add oxygen, remove carbon dioxide and absorb vaporised ammonia as well, thus stabilising the conditions.
    I had several shipments over the past two years with Allfish and can confirm that the koi arrived in very good condition.

Grtz, Hans

Tategoi
    No no no on the transport tank. Most high enders who spent big bucks on elaborate transport tanks, that I have known over the the years, have all gone back to box/bags. The dealers in Japan use transport tanks- its a whole different thing and there whole different reasons. In the USA, you will eventually have a broken fin ( I've seen pecs and dorsals broken in half and once, a tail!) when moving koi in a transport tank- especially long distances. Now I KNOW that we all stubble onto the idea of a transport tank at some point in our koi showing experience. After all this is how the Japanese do it!And it 'seems' like a neat idea- more air, room, no confinement- YOU WANT confinement, especially with the big girls- they can get like rodeo stock when being transported!
    I'd rather have a nose rub- which can be fixed with a tiny dab of steriod cream, that a broken dorsal- which can't be fixed and renders the show fish worthless.
    A word to the wise is sufficient.

JR

Sansai

Cool

Transport Tanks, chuck full of water, no problems now three out of four years of use. Tanks not full of water, JR you are correct, potential for damage is exponentially greater. Again, you need to understand how to use equipment and what the limitations are. What we have found, sudden stops, shotgun starts, tanks not chuck full of water will damage koi. Bags and Boxes, have experienced many undesirable results as well, but once again if understanding proper package protocol really never a problem.

Wow...it already seems like transporting long distance to shows is waaaay over my head.

Steve's list covers almost everything. The thing with showing is to keep it simple, smaller fish are easier to transport than bigger fish. What I would suggest to newbies showing is to bigger smaller fish and experience the "Show" first.

I know Cocoboy asked me if he should bring his bigger fish and I told him to start off with smaller fish that were ready to show. He brought smaller fish did pretty well and got a taste of the show ring.

If you goin to show for your first time make it "SIMPLE"!!!!

The K.I.S.S. concept....

Simple is good, Tony. But I am really anal when it comes to keeping my koi. Can simple and safe be uttered in the same breath as newbee? *L*

We'll see.

M

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast