Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

Wink Of course you can Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal
    Simple is good, Tony. But I am really anal when it comes to keeping my koi. Can simple and safe be uttered in the same breath as newbee? *L*

We'll see.

M
    Lets face it. You are a pretty attentive student, so following those instructions shouldn't be much of a challenge . BTW, I thought that list was pretty darn good. The only thing I might be likely to do additonally would be to add polyfill batting to the box/ice chest as an additional pad between the wall and the bag. Nice and FLUFFY

Red face Awwwww Larry.....

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear
    Lets face it. You are a pretty attentive student, so following those instructions shouldn't be much of a challenge . BTW, I thought that list was pretty darn good. The only thing I might be likely to do additonally would be to add polyfill batting to the box/ice chest as an additional pad between the wall and the bag. Nice and FLUFFY
    Well, yeah. That list was pretty good, and a nice checklist of things needed. Things I don't have are the nets (regular and sock), a blue viewing bowl (I have black and it's a heavy rubber monster), and the oxygen tank filled with oxygen. The boxes, the bags, the cushioning, not a problem. Maybe Amquel should be on the list too, but I don't have that either so will have to get that too. I was even thinking maybe a solar powered air pump might be an option if I can't find the oxygen tank...any thoughts on this?

But what about a koi's disposition? If the fight or flight mechanism is a fine hair trigger in the specimen you want to show, wouldn't transport and showing do some traumatizing? Would transport with a laid-back buddy that takes everything as it comes help at all? How soon do they bounce back from the ordeal after getting home? And what about QT? How long?

Marie the Inquirer

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

I have to add to Steve's list..

Net :
    (One Large enough to catch your biggest fish.

Bowl:
    (One Large enough to Bowl the largest fish that needs to be bowled.) If yo don't know then ask the show chairperson or head bencher.

Having helped bench shows I always see too small of nets and too small of bowls.

A skimmer net is always a good thing to have as well. Although you should have fasted your fish prior to showing green algae poops will come out. It also keeps your water quality up at the koi show and your fish looking good.

A towel.. Now this might seem kind of a give in but your cardboard box aint chit with it being wet inside. Iv'e also seen people share the towel and then reach in their tank simple careless things can be a huge risk.

Have to add to placing the box sideways is when placing the box in car or van etc. Make sure its not on top of the area of the car floor where it gets too hot..

With that in mind I was in Chantilly last year and a guy pulled up in his car with the windows rolled down. It being hot and humid the water also got warm.. Needless to say the koi were not doing well when came in. All of the survived. At the end of the show this person left with his windows rolled up and the AC blasting...

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

And what about a first aid kit for koi to pack along, just in case the impossible happens, like jumping out of the bowl or otherwise finding a way to terra firma without water, or injuries in the bag no matter how careful or well-padded, etc. And what about heat? Maybe cold packs would be an idea...

*rusty cogs turning*

Marie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    I have to add to Steve's list..

Net :
    (One Large enough to catch your biggest fish.

Bowl:
    (One Large enough to Bowl the largest fish that needs to be bowled.) If yo don't know then ask the show chairperson or head bencher.

Having helped bench shows I always see too small of nets and too small of bowls.

A skimmer net is always a good thing to have as well. Although you should have fasted yoru fish prrior to showing green algae poops will come out. It also keeps your water quality up at the koi show and you fish looking good.

A towel.. Now this might seem kind of a give in but Your cardboard box and chit with it being wet inside. Iv'e also seen people share the towel and then reach in their tank simple careless things can be a huge risk.

Have to add to placing the box sideways is when placing the box in car or van etc. Make sure its not on top of the area of the car floor where it gets too hot..

With that in mind I was in Chantilly last year and a guy pulled up in his car with the windows rolled down. It being hot and humid the water also got warm.. Needless to say the koi were not doing well when came in. All of the survived. At the end of the show this person left with his windows rolled up and the AC blasting...

Joe
    Good thoughtful additions and tips, Joe. It's beginning to look like my koi are going to have to have a pretty big suitcase to pack all their "needful things." *L*

Sansai

hydrogen peroxide

I always wondered about hydrogen peroxide as an emergency quick fix in times of low oxygen. Someone once suggested that a spray bottle of it be carried when fish were being transported.

I think a very good koi show would supply O2, rubberbands and bags, but on the safe side bringing your own small O2 tank would be nice.

Bringing your own 02 tank always works best. Makc Koi America had it down in the show ring with many 02 tank accesible and each person showing had their own tube to fill up bags.. Oh yeah also available was new treated water so your koi didnt have to travel in the same stagnant show tank water.

Bringing your own 02 tank also let's you get out faster so you don't have to wait your turn and also keeps the contamination level down for yourself..

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Bringing your own 02 tank always works best. Makc Koi America had it down in the show ring with many 02 tank accesible and each person showing had their own tube to fill up bags.. Oh yeah also available was new treated water so your koi didnt have to travel in the same stagnant show tank water.

Bringing your own 02 tank also let's you get out faster so you don't have to wait your turn and also keeps the contamination level down for yourself..

Joe
    Well didnt a well known judge tell a hobbyist he can revive his fish by pinching the tail? Did he say that works well too.

No comment.. that was a pretty arrogant thing to say to a new first timer at that show..

Anyhow that wouldn't be my choice of words I would have used. But those who were there heard it in disbelief..

Joe

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast