Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

Adding a note of caution to Carolyn and Mike's post about Hydrogen Peroxide, be careful what concentration you're using. The typical drug store stuff at 3% is probably fine, but it's also sold in higher food grade concentrations at 35%.

Hydrogen peroxide is a very strong oxidizer. In fact, it has a higher oxidation potential than potassium permanganate and chlorine.

-Dan

There is a save way to use Hydrogen peroxide for fish transport!
    A product called the Söchting Oxidator uses Hp in a small plastic container (different sizes for different size tanks / pond and even a mini for fish bags or fish bowls). They add a katalyst (a small piece of ceramic) into the container and the Hp will start to decompose in pure oxygen and water. The slowly growing gas bubble in the container will push out Hp through a small hole in the bottom of the container. This Hp escapes in second container that is made of ceramic (acts as katalyst) and decomposes immediately in O2 and H2O. So you add pure oxigen to the water at a slow rate (there are no vissible bubbles, the O2 dissolves 100%).
    The nice thing is, that the reaction increases with temperature. So warmer water will lead to quicker decomposing of the Hp and so to a higher O2 production. Just what we want!
    You can refill the container yourself when empty. The concentration Hp varies for each model and application.
    I use these oxidators in all my shop tanks to add extra oxygen without having the water surface disturbed by bubbels and to have a back-up for power outs (the oxidator needs no power).
    I tryed to find a link to an English site with info but could only find info on German sites. Maybe this product is not sold worldwide......yet!
    Maybe a good idea.....
    Grtz, Hans

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal

Are there any tranquilizers used to calm koi in transit? Whether it be to a show or shipping through the mail, is this ever done, and if so, what are the pros and cons of the agents used and the practice itself?

Marie
    For the second time, I posted it as something to add to your kit early in the thread, Elbagin.

http://www.enkoi.com/prod342.html

Rick

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    For the second time, I posted it as something to add to your kit early in the thread, Elbagin.

Rick
    Well thank goodness you DID post it for the second time, because somehow I missed that first post. Thanks, Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay

Rick
    Umm...no disrespect intended, but after reading the ingredients Elbagin isn't a tranquilizer, it is a:

"
    Bactericide and Fungicide, used by the Japanese for years. Helps reduce stress. Ideal quarantine treatment and gill wash. May be repeated every seven days. Can be used with salt at up to 1oz per gallon. Can be used as a dip at up to 20gm per 220 gallons."

I was specifically asking about bona fide tranquilizers and their use in transporting and showing koi.

M

Marie

Sansai
    The first mention of Elbagin was easy to miss Marie, I also didn't explain any of it's benefits. While not being a true tranquilizer this is from the above web site that I posted earlier: ".. the Elbagin calms the fish down and helps them get over the stress of the journey" A true tranquilizer might put your fish in danger coupled with the stress of the trip and then the stress of the meds.

This is becoming more popular in the States, but it is still difficult to come by.

Rick

Sansai
    Hi all,

I am working on the list of things needed and to do for transporting Koi to a show and have come to chemical additives. With regards to Amquel or ChlorAm-X, has anyone ever tested their transport water for ammonia levels after arriving at a show? Just curious. I know that normal water chemistry actions in a closed environment like the bags will normally render the ammonia levels less toxic but the subject of adding ammonia binders was brought up by several folks so I am including that information in the list.

Steve

Sansai
    Bumping this up to the top. Never did get the list finished and now can not find it in my files. Oh well, still good information here, somewhat timely, and the link to BKKS has excellent information.

Steve

Good info everyone.

I will be doing a lecture on this subject at our upcoming Santa Clara Valley Koi Club meeting this month. Just in time for the Sakura show. Attendance of the meeting is open to all interested. You don't have to be a member of the club to sit in.

Mike

I am going to move this one to "Best of Bito". If anybody has more info to add then please do so.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast