Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Bag & Box vs. Transport Tank; We have used both and found long haul from Spokane to Portland, Tacoma, Bothell or SEATAC has worked the best with our Travel Tank chuck full of water inside the "Koi Kruiser", a trailer in tow. However, for local around town transport the "Bag and Box" system works better for us. In each case, when we have properly used either idea for shipping, the results have been great!

Do you think there would be any problem transporting fish in boxes on a trailer that didn't have shocks? I am concerned about the light weight trailer boncing.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    For the second time, I posted it as something to add to your kit early in the thread, Elbagin.

http://www.enkoi.com/prod342.html

Rick
    Rick, how much Elbagin do you put in a 20 by 40 inch bag with one 24" koi?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Do you think there would be any problem transporting fish in boxes on a trailer that didn't have shocks? I am concerned about the light weight trailer boncing.

Steve, put them in the car with shocks. Things that come to mind are broken dorsal fins and or punctured bags and boxes and stressed out fish before the show.

While going to a few koi auction where the wheel them down the row. The runway was a bit bumpy. I noticed the vibrating water really freaks out the fish and they go wacko.....

Just some things I noticed in the past.

Joe

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Bag & Box vs. Transport Tank; We have used both and found long haul from Spokane to Portland, Tacoma, Bothell or SEATAC has worked the best with our Travel Tank chuck full of water inside the "Koi Kruiser", a trailer in tow. However, for local around town transport the "Bag and Box" system works better for us. In each case, when we have properly used either idea for shipping, the results have been great!

Probably the biggest advantage of a Travel Tank when covering several hours of travel in most any kind of climate with our set-up the koi hardly miss a beat. They are tucked snugly in a plum full tank of water with plenty of air pumped into the water. We use a solar panel charging system for energy, so even if we break down or stop for snacks, the koi do just fine.

I'll admit, took some research and a few mistakes along the way to understand the proper use of a travel tank system. But once figured out I doubt I would ever use a bag & box system for the long haul again.
    I use the transport tank as well. I have a coverter that I plug into the cigarrete lighter and then I can use an air pump for oxygen. I have driven with the Koi for 10 to 12 hours with no problems.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 02-13-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi View Post
    Steve, put them in the car with shocks. Things that come to mind are broken dorsal fins and or punctured bags and boxes and stressed out fish before the show.

While going to a few koi auction where the wheel them down the row. The runway was a bit bumpy. I noticed the vibrating water really freaks out the fish and they go wacko.....

Just some things I noticed in the past.

Joe
    Thanks for your help Joe. I'm probably going to have to rent another car or truck. To many people, dogs, luggage, and other stuff to be able to fit all including 12 koi in the car. When the time comes I'm going to see if I can rent a 4 door pick up with a canopy.

Jumbo
    We started using a soft sided transport tank last season for long transport distances and have been extremely happy with our experience using it. I no longer see damage and the fish seem to come through the trip in much better shape. I do use Amquil as a binder, Elbagin (no salt) and lots of air stones. "Just in case" I do take with me boxes and bags, an 02 tank. I use 3 battery operated air pumps if we are staying overnight somewhere. I have an inverter in the truck which powers the air pumps while we're on the road. This year I'll be adding a very very small amount of straight 02 to the tank through a small single air stone as well.
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Sansai
    Hi Sue,

I am (believe it or not) actually working on a draft of all of the information everyone has contributed. I have some questions about your transport tank methods.

What are the tank measurements and how much water does it hold?

Do you fill it to the top to reduce water movement?

How much Elbagin do you add?

What is the maximum fish you will transport this way (use total inches of fish if that is an easier way to do it)?

Would you give us the rationale behind adding some pure oxygen to the water and how you will meter it?

Also for anyone else who is using a transport tank would you also send me the pertinent information for your system I asked for from Sue?

I know this is a lot of information, but I am trying to put together something that contains more than a simple list. I would like to be able to give some reasons behind each use of the different pieces of equipment.

Thanks
    Steve

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Hi Sue,

I am (believe it or not) actually working on a draft of all of the information everyone has contributed. I have some questions about your transport tank methods.

What are the tank measurements and how much water does it hold?

Do you fill it to the top to reduce water movement?

How much Elbagin do you add?

What is the maximum fish you will transport this way (use total inches of fish if that is an easier way to do it)?

Would you give us the rationale behind adding some pure oxygen to the water and how you will meter it?

Also for anyone else who is using a transport tank would you also send me the pertinent information for your system I asked for from Sue?

I know this is a lot of information, but I am trying to put together something that contains more than a simple list. I would like to be able to give some reasons behind each use of the different pieces of equipment.

Thanks
    Steve
    Sure Steve, this is what we do based upon recommendations from many experienced sources.

The tank is one of the Paradise blue soft sided tanks with the zipper close tops. Can't remember the amount of gallons or measurements, but I'm sure it's on their web site.

I do not fill to the brim. We fill to about 5 inches from the top and then cover with one sheet of 1/2 pink house insulation cut to size with a hole in the center for the air stone lines to drop in. We've tried many different way to reduce sloushing, but this seems to work the best for us. Can't avoid it all together, but this seems to reduce it quite a bit.

Elbagin? Only about 1 gm for this size tank. You really don't need much.

We've had up to 5 fish in that tank overnight (about 24 hours all together) with no problems. Most were in excess of 22".

I only add straight 02 to the tank at the last 6-7 hours of transport. This brings up the whites and the fish seem less stressed when moved into the show tank. I use the low pressure 02 tanks that you get at the hardware store that welders purchase. You have to get the valve kit so you have a regulator - cost is about $50 - discard everything but the right valve. I "meter" the flow simply by "eye". Too much and you can burn the fish. I allow only a very few small bubbles to come through the air stone. That's all you need. Kevin Pham gave me this tip. He says they do this in Japan often. I've tried it one time and it works like a charm!! The fish look better coming out of the tank then when they went in!! But you have to be really careful about how much 02 you force into the water. It's a very efficient oxidizer that can burn or even kill your fish.

I hope this helps!!

Sansai
    Thanks for the reply Sue. I am slow but will incorporate a section on transport tanks. The information regarding pure oxygen is interesting. Glad you included the warning about injecting too much. That gives us a very important piece of its use should anyone try it. Did you use any test koi the first time you tried this method? Or was Kevin very explicit in how to use it? I would assume that he was, but just want to ask to be sure I understand all you said.

Steve

Jumbo
    Both Steve!! Kevin told me it was pretty much by experience and knowing what to look for in the amount of bubbles. He did expain that the bubbles were very few. So I tried it on 2 of my dither fish and ran the system for 24 hours in my garage and it worked the first time. I've used it one other time going to a show....then the season was over!!! LOL I plan on adding this routinely to my transport routine especiall when going long distances like heading to Orlando. That will be a very long drive for us and the fish.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast