Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Transporting Koi to the Show

1. Maybe you should use a bigger bag?

2. Maybe it's that you're not keeping the box/bag/fish positioned sideways to the direction of travel. If that's the case, every time your vehicle accelerates or brakes the koi's nose or tail slams into one end or the other -- causing damages like you're talking about.

Whatever, it shouldn't be happening.

Jumbo
    There is no 100% way to transport fish and not risk damage BUT I have transported fish long distances using both bags and transport tank. I do know that the box should be set sideways while moving so to avoid tail and nose damage, but that doesn't eleminate fact that not all driving is done in a straight line. There are turns. And yes, I use very large bags and boxes.

I have gone to transport tanks. Personally I have had less damage to fish using the Pearls of Paradise soft sided transport tank. Some folks love them, some folks will not use them. Since I often travel with fish more than 40 hrs on the road, I find that using the transport tank allows the fish more time in transport without worry of too much stress.

There is a trick to how full to fill these tanks to help reduce the chances of damage. I fill my tank up to about 1" from the very top which help the "slaush factor" which is what I think is the major cause of damage when using these tanks. I run huge amounts of air into the tank while driving using an inverter. When parked overnight I move to battery operated units, which you should have on hand anyway just in case of car breakdowns.

For me it works quite well.

Sue
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntiesue View Post
    There is no 100% way to transport fish and not risk damage BUT I have transported fish long distances using both bags and transport tank. I do know that the box should be set sideways while moving so to avoid tail and nose damage, but that doesn't eleminate fact that not all driving is done in a straight line. There are turns. And yes, I use very large bags and boxes.

I have gone to transport tanks. Personally I have had less damage to fish using the Pearls of Paradise soft sided transport tank. Some folks love them, some folks will not use them. Since I often travel with fish more than 40 hrs on the road, I find that using the transport tank allows the fish more time in transport without worry of too much stress.

There is a trick to how full to fill these tanks to help reduce the chances of damage. I fill my tank up to about 1" from the very top which help the "slaush factor" which is what I think is the major cause of damage when using these tanks. I run huge amounts of air into the tank while driving using an inverter. When parked overnight I move to battery operated units, which you should have on hand anyway just in case of car breakdowns.

Sue

Stuff happens even with transport tanks.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by David Smothers View Post
    Stuff happens even with transport tanks.
    Yep, afraid so!! But even netting and moving fish is risky as well. If you are transporting fish, whether it be from one pond to another or across the country, there is risk of damage. Finding what works best for you which you feel reduces the chances of damage is what you should use.

Heck, I bruised my Panda (avitar) moving her inside for the winter. Dang it!! She's fine now, but it sure was disheartening when it happened.

Honmei

Sue
    I find that when I fill my tank to the very top I get the best results.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    I find that when I fill my tank to the very top I get the best results.
    Russell, it was your comments some time ago about filling the tank to the brim is why I do that also. You are right, I have less problems filling to the top, but how do you keep all the water inside the tank? I think you also use the Pearl's transport tank correct? When I fill right up to the very top, I get water coming out of the zipper area when in motion so I keep it about 1" from the top right now to help keep that water escape to a minimum.

Honmei
    Russell, it was your comments some time ago about filling the tank to the brim is why I do that also. You are right, I have less problems filling to the top, but how do you keep all the water inside the tank? I think you also use the Pearl's transport tank correct? When I fill right up to the very top, I get water coming out of the zipper area when in motion so I keep it about 1" from the top right now to help keep that water escape to a minimum.
    I use the Pearls of Paradise transport tank.
    I do lose a little bit,but not much. I have to make sure that there is nothing around my tank that would be damaged by water.
    I actually overfill, if you can imagine it, the tank and then close the zippers while lifting them a little. i don't know if that really helps but that is what I do.

If un's you had one of these you wouldn't have to worry bout slosh But the guy that made them is now defunct But it works flawlessly from what I've heard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transporting Koi to the Show-kichi-20transport.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht View Post
    If un's you had one of these you wouldn't have to worry bout slosh But the guy that made them is now defunct But it works flawlessly from what I've heard
    Sure.......go ahead and rub it in.

Jumbo
    Chris, this was such a nice transport tank. I'm sorry to hear it didn't take off. If I could have handled the shipping costs, I would have one.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast