Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: February in Gainesville

Tosai

February in Gainesville

The Gainesville Koi Show will be February 3-5 at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville, Florida. Show Chairman is David Hardcastle and Show Co-Chair is Joe White. Good news is that the banquet is only $20.00 and will be catered to the Kanapaha Summer House (think warm). Head Judge is Charles Phelps and AKCA Candidate Judge is Henry Culpepper. More information at: www.pondhoppers.org

Gainesville Koi Show and KHV

Hi Joe,

Do you have any plan to bring KHV awareness to general public during Gainesville Koi Show? Specailly for new koi hobbyists that will attend the show, which many don't know how deadly this virus is. I think Koi show is the good place for KHV seminar, information, as well as KHV fund raising for KHV Research Project.

Best regards,
    --Din Nguyen

Quote Originally Posted by Joe White
    The Gainesville Koi Show will be February 3-5 at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville, Florida. Show Chairman is David Hardcastle and Show Co-Chair is Joe White. Good news is that the banquet is only $20.00 and will be catered to the Kanapaha Summer House (think warm). Head Judge is Charles Phelps and AKCA Candidate Judge is Henry Culpepper. More information at: www.pondhoppers.org

Tosai
    Good question. Last year at our first young fish show we had seminars that were poorly attended including one by Allen Riggs DVM so we have been debating whether to offer a seminar this year. I agree that a show should be educational and I am sure that if we do not have a speaker, we will have information available regarding quarantine and handouts that will refer to KHV. A good paper on KHV was published by the University of Florida, see: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM113

Thanks Joe -

Very much understand that - As part of human nature, we love to talk or listen to the beautiful things, the excellent gosanke, that wonderful pattern, the Champions, the living jewely and on and on, but listening or learning about disease or virus! oh man, that is top....;-))

Anyway, true koi kichi folks need to continue to bring KHV awareness to general public as well as getting fund to support KHV research.

I have hard copy of Koi-Bito / AKCA KHV Flyer - I can send a softcopy to you or hard copy if request so that you can display on the information desk during the show. Hope this will do help in anyway.

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by Joe White
    Good question. Last year at our first young fish show we had seminars that were poorly attended including one by Allen Riggs DVM so we have been debating whether to offer a seminar this year. I agree that a show should be educational and I am sure that if we do not have a speaker, we will have information available regarding quarantine and handouts that will refer to KHV. A good paper on KHV was published by the University of Florida, see: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM113