Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gainsville Show

Daihonmei

gainsville Show

for the odd lurker....TODAY is the GKS Feb. 04 2006.
    See ya there. I am leaving for it in 30 minutes...and got the camera

Daihonmei
    henry Culpepper, Candidate Judge...being aided by yone of the best

Daihonmei
    and Rod Lawton in the back...
    "Bring me your tired....
    yearning to breathe free..."

Smile

Nice display, thanks for the heads up Luke. I wish I would have known sooner, I would have had the Phi Delts tap a couple of kegs for your group. Who is that gentleman in pic one, holding that net like Charleton Heston? Now, where is the koi?

Daihonmei
    I thought he had the "Statue of Liberty" pose down...now i am confused

Thanks Luke, I still think this gentleman looks familiar, just thought you knew.

My flash batteries gave out so all I have are the Grand Champ, Reserve and Mature. Grand Champion is a Showa owned by David & Karen Hardcastle. Reserve Champion is a Sanke owned by Joe & Sherri White. Best Mature is a Showa owned by Rod Lawton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gainsville Show-gkc_gc.jpg   gainsville Show-gkc_rc2.jpg   gainsville Show-gkc_mature2.jpg  

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    Thanks Luke, I still think this gentleman looks familiar, just thought you knew.
    you may know him...he travels some and is a "BIGWIG" with ZNA/SKA.....
    he goes by "Rod Lawton"

Daihonmei
    Hey Henry,
    I really liked Jwhite's tank full of koi, but he seems to have more discipline than me and REALLY fasted them this Winter, to the point that they were a little "shrunken" inward at the belly.
    How much did thta come into play while judging the fish? Were you given the freedom to look past the "starved look" and give the fish all the credit they had, or did the fish take a hit in conformation.
    We all know Joe has the husbandry skills needed to have those koi however he wants them, and he is just "duplicating Winter" and forcing the fish to absorb their eggs....

I also find it funny "we" picked Rod Lawton's Showa as GC ..... I agree and commend on the judge's choice though as to picking the smaller Showa as GC ...i just didn't think the judge's would over ride Size for quality ....where were the Japanese judges with veto power ?

There were several tanks where the owner had fasted their Koi in January and it showed. They had not had time to regain their girth. Fasting is tough here in Florida since the Koi are still very active. The reason a Koi is thinner than normal is not considered when judging; if a Koi is thin, it is thin.

Rod's Showa was seriously considered for GC. When we got to the Koi for judging, it was not swimming. It stayed sitting on the bottom of the tank jammed against the tank side. Part of judging a Koi is how it presents itself. How does it swim? When it did leave its spot on the bottom, it darted around the tank and then returned to the same spot on the bottom of the tank. Was it sitting on the bottom due to a problem? It was still sitting on the bottom of the tank this morning. If it had been gracefully swimming around the tank, it could have very likely taken GC. I did not recognize the Koi, but Rod has been raising it for the last 8 years. It just now finished, so hopefully it will react better to a trip to Orlando in March.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast