Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Little History

Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Hmmmmm, koi show in Hawaii sounds like a very good idea to me! I'll help!
    OK, Mjen. How about helping to bring another 1000 Koi-Bito KHV Flyers to Hawaii show as you did for the ABAKS KHV Flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by dinh
    OK, Mjen. How about helping to bring another 1000 Koi-Bito KHV Flyers to Hawaii show as you did for the ABAKS KHV Flyer?
    Hmmmm, it was pretty tough carrying them in from the rental car and placing them on a table.........I guess I could repeat that 30 seconds of intense labor for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    Hmmmm, it was pretty tough carrying them in from the rental car and placing them on a table.........I guess I could repeat that 30 seconds of intense labor for a good cause.
    many times physically does not mean much, but mentally and spiritual are all about....

Quote Originally Posted by dinh
    Yup, you are correct Jim and thanks for the info.

Hawaii Carp & Goldfish club was formed in 1959, nine years older than Golden Gate Carp Society...The documents I have about Golden Gate Carp Society indicated it was formed in 1968, but it looks like 1958 to me instead (I am getting old !!)

OK, Hawaii Carp & Goldfish is the oldest club in States. Perhaps, Golden Gate Carp Society is the oldest in the mainland...

--Dinh
    Dinh,
    This is an interesting thread talk about getting OLD !!! Check with Grant on this I belive I was a member of Southern Ca koi club in 1968 and it had been going strong before I joined. This club was formed in Gardena and Grant was a member then too. Perhaps Grant can shed some light on the issue . Too be young again and have total recall oh well!!
    Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Louie
    Dinh,
    This is an interesting thread talk about getting OLD !!! Check with Grant on this I belive I was a member of Southern Ca koi club in 1968 and it had been going strong before I joined. This club was formed in Gardena and Grant was a member then too. Perhaps Grant can shed some light on the issue . Too be young again and have total recall oh well!!
    Louie
    Great. Thanks Louie !! I will check with Grant at the next ZNA NorCal meeting... Love to learn more about koi club history here in the States...

You know what? there are few current members of our ZNA NorCal chapter were members of Golden Gate Carp Society as well as original ZNA NorCal back then.... Seems like Koi helped people stay young...

--Dinh

Wasn't the SoCal ZNA founded by Japanese Gardeners?

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Wasn't the SoCal ZNA founded by Japanese Gardeners?
    Tonio,
    The first Chairman of ZNA So Ca was Matsumoto - san he lived in Solona Beach Ca he owned a large nursery maybe more. Members that knew him well said he was very wealthy. One man that stays clear in my memories is a landscaper by the name of Kimura-san he was very much a part of the planning stage for the club. The first meeting was held at his home. He still comes to the annual shows although I did not see him this year I did last year and we talked for sometime about the years that have gone by.There were a lot of gardeners at the beginning most spoke Japanese but the language of koi crossed that barrier.So many more come to mind but last name spelling escapes me.Oops forgot about Sam & Sumi Kagekawa they are still very active at meetings and shows. This family represents 4 generations that attend our show with Sam & Sumi being the eldest.This club has lost many good friends that were willing to give for the benefit of others [koi hobby]There were so many and now so few.
    Louie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123