Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little History

Fry

A Little History of the FIRST NOR CAL KOI SHOW

In the March/April issue of Koi USA 1978, it was announced that the Nor-Cal Koi Club had been formed in Hayward Ca. An open Koi show was held in the fall of that year. We worked in that show and also the show in 1979.

Believe these were the FIRST KOI SHOWS in Northern California. Does anyone know of an earlier one?

carl
    Last edited by carl; 03-31-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Title incorrect

Carl

Yes. There was an earlier club show (actually thought it was the ORIGINAL NorCal ZNA club), but any way, it was held in I believe 1973 or '74, held at the Southland Park Shopping Mall in Hayward. Dr Kuroki and Konishi-san came over and judged the show! It was the first show I had ever attended and was quite INTERESTING to say the least! I actually got to meet Dr. Kuroki and Konishi-san at a meeting held at the home of the Wanaka's (spelling). They owned the Cupertino Nursery at the time. Kuroki brought slides with him of the FIRST ALL JAPAN SHINKOKAI SHOW!! She even sold koi out in fromt of their home (Japanese imports from Konishi) for VERY VERY GOOD PRICES! She and her husband Ernie were very special people. I was priveledged to be invited on several occasions to sit with them by their pond and talk koi. Ernie was a VERY close friend of Dr. Kuroki. It was truly an honor to have known them.
    Last edited by koiczar; 04-03-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added text and spelling corrections

Carl,

it was your first post here on koi-bito. Since you helped that koi show in early day, I hope you will share more about that show as well as your koi knowledge in time. And, welcome to the board Carl.

I am not sure there was any ZNA NorCal koi show before 1979 here in Northern California.

I have learned that, the ZNA SoCal (ZNA Southern California) was the first ZNA Chapter in United State of America. The begin work on expending ZNA to the "new world" starting in 1970, but was officially formed in 1972. So it is hard to imagine that there was a ZNA NorCal (ZNA Northern California) show in 1973 or 1974 here in Northern California (Perhaps, there was a Nothern California koi show, but NOT ZNA NorCal show).

In addition to that, the original ZNA NorCal chapter was formed in 1979 (closed later on after the Chapter President passed away). It had the ZNA NorCal koi show in 1984 in Hayward California.

-Dinh

Dinh

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the ZNA NorCal club was around in '73-'74. I do know, however, there was a koi show at that time at the shopping mall in Hayward as I was there. Just don't know who put the show on. There definitely was a club affiliated with someone/something at that time, just would like to know who/what!?!

I remember the show very well, as what stuck in my mind were the politics involved. It's what kept me from joining a club until 1998! The GC was a 12"-13" showa that was brought over from Japan by Konishi-san for his customer, entered into the show, then won the GC award. At the time, I thought..."how could a fish be brought over from Japan, get put in the show, judged by the breeder and WIN"?!?!?!?!? Anyway, I didn't see this as being right!!

Jumbo
    Dinh, you are correct. Grant helped form the first ZNA Northern California koi club at the request of the local members. It was made official on June 10, 1978. The first president was Don Covarelli. They had 20 members.

JR

Jumbo
    Mike koizar, have you fallen on your head??? you are the guy who was lobbying for dealers to be club officers??!!! YOu seemed dumb struck when I told you the reasons why? Now you are telling us this story? What planet am I on!?

Ok some interesting history--

Kuroki came to visit SoCal in 1973. He visited Northern Cal koi club ( non ZNA) in 1975 and 77. He wrote,in a letter to Don Covarelli, that he visited koi dealer Takeda and they became very good friends. The two Sourthern California chapters were the first and second in the USA. Northern Cal became the third,making it the 50th ZNA chapter. There was also an early ZNA chapter formed in Arizona that folded and as of yet, has not risen from the ashes- will another pheonix rise in Phoenix? Mmmmmm
    JR

Fry
    Dinh, Will say we had to raise $1500. each year for expenses and it was a challenge. Everyone liked Don Covarelli and made our goal both years.

The only thing we can remember about the show is that Don being a general contractor would bring his air compressor and blow the water off the tanks.
    Don's death at 50 from a heart attack was a real blow to the club.

carl

Thank you Carl.

Yes, I have learned the sad news about Don Cavarelli's death due to a heart attack.

Was Richard M. Strauss also a ZNA NorCal previous chapter President? If so, which years was that?

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by James P
    Mike koizar, have you fallen on your head??? you are the guy who was lobbying for dealers to be club officers??!!! YOu seemed dumb struck when I told you the reasons why? Now you are telling us this story? What planet am I on!?
    JR

Don't know for sure, but you evidently were so busy reading "between the lines" you missed the "real" intent of my question. Don't worry though, I consider it "water under the bridge" at this point in time

Ok some interesting history--

Kuroki came to visit SoCal in 1973. He visited Northern Cal koi club ( non ZNA) in 1975 and 77. He wrote,in a letter to Don Covarelli, that he visited koi dealer Takeda and they became very good friends. The two Sourthern California chapters were the first and second in the USA. Northern Cal became the third,making it the 50th ZNA chapter. There was also an early ZNA chapter formed in Arizona that folded and as of yet, has not risen from the ashes- will another pheonix rise in Phoenix? Mmmmmm
    JR
    Yes, I spoke to Grant today and asked about the history of all this. He concurred with my approximate dates (JR, you're probably correct here as I wasn't positive of the year) and he told me the name of the club that held that show was the Golden Gate Carp Society. This was not a ZNA Chapter. I guess it had no "affiliation" with any "organization" other than itself.

Just want to add one thing is that, Golden Gate Carp Society was the first koi club in the United States of America. Yes, the first koi club in America.....

Kazuo Takeda was the founder of Golden Gate Carp Society. Takeda was also a good friend of ZNA Founder, Dr. Kuroki.

--Dinh Nguyen
    ZNA NorCal

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar
    Yes, I spoke to Grant today and asked about the history of all this. He concurred with my approximate dates (JR, you're probably correct here as I wasn't positive of the year) and he told me the name of the club that held that show was the Golden Gate Carp Society. This was not a ZNA Chapter. I guess it had no "affiliation" with any "organization" other than itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast