Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: ZNA vs regular old AKCA: American Koi Breeders Ass. Etc.

Sanctimonious Ass - BANNED

ZNA vs regular old AKCA: American Koi Breeders Ass. Etc.

Having participated in the Nth Florida Koi Club Show this weekend and hearing all the talk by AKCA judges and other notable Southern Koi Association ZNA members on their Naples Show I'm thinking ZNA really is a better way to go. SKA ZNA of course is a private club here in Florida that I suppose requires an invitation to join, but ZNA NorCal seems like a friendly lot. So here I come (if you guys will have me Dinh?)! I'm looking forward to the Young Fish Show on April 28-29 in Cupertino. Then back to Winston Salem on May 4th to the Southern Koi Expo to learn more about this American Koi Breeders Association. I'd really like to find an organization to be a part of in the koi community where they advocate for certain things such as the course of legislation as with the import restrictions on SVC, the new federal order regarding Viral Hemmoragic Septicema, etc. Environmentalist like the Sierra Club have legislative and conservation committees in local, state, and national chapters. Even anglers such as blue water fisherman have legislative advocacy groups such as the Billfish Foundation, but the organized koi community seems to be mostly koi show and pond tour oriented. If legislation goes the way of Maine where it is illegal to own koi then the debate over whether a kohaku or shiro utsuri should be grand champion will indeed be academic. Adapt or die I suppose. Such an outcome would likely bolster the ranchu hobby

Sansai
    Every club is unique in its membership. I am sure that SKA ZNA is open to new members. As far as comparing ZNA and AKCA, I am of the belief that the two parent organizations compliment each other. ZNA NorCal is not affiliated with AKCA at this time. Not real sure if we ever will. But then many of its members belong to more than one club as I do, the other clubs are AKCA affilitated.

Having said the above, please by all means join our club. There is a membership application available on our web site www.znanorcal.org.

Our group is focused on learning about koi. Each meeting, as a general rule, has a class, lecture, judging exercise, or etc. about koi. Being able to attend the monthly meetings is part of the benefit of the group. Lots to learn and many to learn it from.

Steve

Will do & Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Every club is unique in its membership. I am sure that SKA ZNA is open to new members. As far as comparing ZNA and AKCA, I am of the belief that the two parent organizations compliment each other. ZNA NorCal is not affiliated with AKCA at this time. Not real sure if we ever will. But then many of its members belong to more than one club as I do, the other clubs are AKCA affilitated.

Having said the above, please by all means join our club. There is a membership application available on our web site www.znanorcal.org.

Our group is focused on learning about koi. Each meeting, as a general rule, has a class, lecture, judging exercise, or etc. about koi. Being able to attend the monthly meetings is part of the benefit of the group. Lots to learn and many to learn it from.

Steve

Actually to my knowledge SKA is not open membership, but Rod or Joe can correct me. If they do I'll gladly send them a check. Otherwise, I'm satisfied knowing I've tried and will continue to try and promote their club even though they don't consider me worthy of their group.

As for ZNA Norcal I look forward to membership and have the app filled out with check in enveloped, stamped and ready for the mail pick up
    You guys all seem very inclusive and friendly and I look forward to learning and assisting in promoting the hobby with you all.

Daihonmei
    man, you are one sick puppy!

Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    man, you are one sick puppy!
    Why would you use a phrase I reserve for child molesters, murderers and such? Was it inappropriate to ask if the Southern Koi Association accepts members as does NorCal ZNA? After all since I live in Jacksonville, Florida (go Jaguars!) shouldn't I want first to be a member of my nearest ZNA rather than one on the other end of the country? Maybe you are calling Rod or Joe a sick puppy? Would you care to address it next week on the Koi Club of the Air for clarification? I can give you a call and we can discuss it. We don't have but about 1500 downloads of the audio a month now

Just funnin South Georgia style!

I think all clubs under the AKCA and ZNA are open to the public, so that means anyone is free to join just as long as they adhere to the clubs rule...

Quote Originally Posted by koicluboftheair View Post
    Actually to my knowledge SKA is not open membership, but Rod or Joe can correct me. If they do I'll gladly send them a check. Otherwise, I'm satisfied knowing I've tried and will continue to try and promote their club even though they don't consider me worthy of their group.

As for ZNA Norcal I look forward to membership and have the app filled out with check in enveloped, stamped and ready for the mail pick up
    You guys all seem very inclusive and friendly and I look forward to learning and assisting in promoting the hobby with you all.
    Maybe they (the SKA) reserves the right to "accept" new members as some clubs do. You can't just walk in and pay your dues and say,"Iwant to join". They have to accept you!! Is that what you're saying - it makes more sense.

Mike

Kinda

Actually Mike I was mistaken as since inception of SKA I thought is was membership strictly by invitation. I learned something this week that causes me to appreciate their org much more. They have always produced high quality events, but that lingering membership issue unsettled me. As for clubs not accepting certain folks or kicking them out that is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Maybe they (the SKA) reserves the right to "accept" new members as some clubs do. You can't just walk in and pay your dues and say,"Iwant to join". They have to accept you!! Is that what you're saying - it makes more sense.

Mike