Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Breeding Plan....

YES! They dissapear! I guess we shouldn't get scared at the shear number of them since they continually disappear.

And even this spring I had babies disappear. Do frogs eat them? There was a frog in the stock tank.

I have been taking frogs on day trips down the dirt road. I had a couple dozen in a bucket in my truck bed and the bucket fell over and then I had a truck bed full of frogs!

There were just too darn many around here. Hey, I'm all for nature, but it was getting like a sci-fi movie around here.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    YES! They disappear! I guess we shouldn't get scared at the shear number of them since they continually disappear.

And even this spring I had babies disappear. Do frogs eat them? There was a frog in the stock tank.

I have been taking frogs on day trips down the dirt road. I had a couple dozen in a bucket in my truck bed and the bucket fell over and then I had a truck bed full of frogs!

There were just too darn many around here. Hey, I'm all for nature, but it was getting like a sci-fi movie around here.
    Oh yes frogs eat baby koi. I had them in my tanks last year and started out with a lot of baby koi and a few small frogs. By the end of the summer there were about 8 huge frogs and only a few koi left. I had been told for years that frogs eat koi and I didn't believe it. But now I am a believer!!
    That's funny about the frogs in the truck! I have a very comical vision of you trying to wrangle up a truck full of frogs! LOL!!

I guess if anyone had seen me chasing frogs around the truck bed they would have had a big laugh but I sure wasn't happy about it at the time!

So now I know what's been eating my babies. Next year I'll have to start the 'frog roundup' earlier.

Actually, I hope not to get any baby koi this year. Just don't feel like keeping after them. Last year I threw hyacinths in the pond so this year I'm not doing that.

So far so good

It's a little over a week now and the baby koi are doing quite well. I have a strong air stone in the middle of the pond [a small kiddie pool] and they ride the "boil" in the middle. I just see them rolling over and over. I guess when they get tired of that is when they start to hang out at the sides where there is no "current". I actually need to create some new green water. I read somewhere that adding some chicken feed is helpful, any takes on that ? Or some other ways to get some thick green water?
    Koiboy98

So the babies are doing well!!! Congratulations!!

Gee, I don't know how to make green water on purpose--not in a healthy way. Unless you set water in the sun to get green, then aerate it, then add it to the pool. That's all my widdle bwain can come up wiff at the moment...

So the babies are doing well!!! Congratulations!!

Gee, I don't know how to make green water on purpose--not in a healthy way. Unless you set water in the sun to get green, then aerate it, then add it to the pool. That's all my widdle bwain can come up wiff at the moment...

JR had a good suggestion as to how to procure some green water for the babies, so I'm going to try that. Thanks for your input., Les

JR had a good suggestion as to how to procure some green water for the babies, so I'm going to try that. Thanks for your input., Les
    Can you post the suggestion here for me (in case I decide to let the koi spawn another year) and others?

JR's post.... very informative

Can you post the suggestion here for me (in case I decide to let the koi spawn another year) and others?
    You're welcome! That's BABY brine shrimp right? You can use frozen but I find with the spawn I raised and with my tropicals, that until the yolk is absorbed the fry will not eat ( they actually don't have developed mouths yet!). When they do, they are stimulated by light and sight-- so 'movement' is very helpful as is LIVE protein. Frozen is close but nothing is as good as 'on the hoof' moving fresh protein food.
    Even live baby brine is going to be a wee bit too big at first. You can set up a rubbermaid and get that water green with a bit of evaporated milk added in the presents of lots of sunshine. See if you can find a pond and add a few gallons of water from it to the rubbermaid. That is your inoculation of microbes and the milk will fuel it as will a few grass clippings ( NON- chemically treated grass). You then need what is called a brine shrimp net ( available at most fish stores, it's very fine and can trap tiny creatures). When you see a red cloud in the water dip in the net and you will have live food . Rinse and add to the fry tank twice a day morning and evening. In Between, try the baby brine.
    Good luck... JR

PS this rubbermaid will also be an incubator for mosquitoes! So cover it will screen or take out / net the larval 'wrigglers' and feed them to tropicals if you have them ( smaller goldfish will also eat them happily). I have the biggest fattest cardinal tetras in town. Secret? Mosquito larva.
    You'll get all kinds of larval stage insects during this process and the will all make great food for the fry as they get larger.

Oh thanks! I actually found it after I posted my request. I didn't know he posted in another thread.

Nisai

Update on my fry~

Hey its been about 5 weeks since my spawn.... Here are some videos of them~ YouTube - Koi Fry
    YouTube - Koi Fry 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast