Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Breeding Plan....

Nice video!

Did anyone tell you about the big, plain ones? I read somewhere about them possibly eating the smaller ones? You might want to research that.

I got a lot of Shusui looking fry. A 'luck of the draw' from pulling the hyacinths out of the water. The mother is a Shusui but I thought it took two other kinds of koi to make baby Shusui.

It sure is fun watching them to see what turns out. I couldn't cull any though.

I noticed 2 videos. One of the small fry at 4 weeks and one of larger fry at 4 weeks. If they are all of the same age what does the size difference tell you? Do you know what size Koi fry should be at 4 weeks of age?

Nisai
    I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me but, theyre either 4 weeks or 5 weeks I was just estimating... And they are all from the same batch, don't they grow at different rates?

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me but, theyre either 4 weeks or 5 weeks I was just estimating... And they are all from the same batch, don't they grow at different rates?
    Sorry to be so slow to reply. I didn't check this section for a few days as it generally doesn't get a lot of traffic.
    Fry should be at the "fingernail" stage at 1 week. Fry that are still at that stage at 4-5 weeks will NEVER grow normally. They are runts, in all likelihood suffering from deformities that prevent normal growth, and about the only useful purpose they can serve is "sibling sushi" for their bigger brethren. It might sound cruel, but "here kitty kitty" is what you'll have to do once they're finally big enough for you to see whats physically wrong with them.
    Pick your poison. Free protein for the fish, or for your cat. Either way, they're toast.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tategoi
    Papabear,
    What are the sizes the frys should be?
    1 week: fingernail
    2 week:
    3 week
    4 week
    And if there is already a fry development post: please give me the url.

Should they double every other week or what?
    And I am also thinking that you are implying on culling the small ones @ 4 weeks old. Is 2 cm @ 4 weeks not good? From what I have been reading, one should cull the bigger ones or seprate them. But that was more for survival for the little ones and that the fast growing ones are either plain magoi or not good looking fish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Papabear,
    What are the sizes the frys should be?
    1 week: fingernail
    2 week:
    3 week
    4 week
    And if there is already a fry development post: please give me the url.

Should they double every other week or what?
    And I am also thinking that you are implying on culling the small ones @ 4 weeks old. Is 2 cm @ 4 weeks not good? From what I have been reading, one should cull the bigger ones or seprate them. But that was more for survival for the little ones and that the fast growing ones are either plain magoi or not good looking fish.

Thanks
    Separating "tobies" (the super fast growing muji's) is a good idea as they are hyper-cannibalistic. Looking at the 2 video's posted the ones in the larger fish video weren't merely muji, but patterned fish of several color combinations.
    While we hobbyists tend to think in terms of small numbers in small enclosures where "saving the little ones from the big ones" is a natural mindset, this is not the norm. Breeders get the fry to a mud pond filled with rotifers as quickly as possible where "only the strong survive" and eat or be eaten is the rule of the day.
    How rapidly they will grow depends on genetics and environment. If either is lacking normal isn't going to happen. At 4-5 weeks old I would expect everything to be over 1" and some pushing 2", even in a hobby tank.

Nisai
    Ahhh. Papabear, those videos are mine not chang's! Anyways it was a sanke crossing with 2 kohaku male and 1 sanke male. I tried to cull out for patterned fish and separate between sizes. I'd love to have a mudpond in my backyard but my mom would kill me

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    Ahhh. Papabear, those videos are mine not chang's! Anyways it was a sanke crossing with 2 kohaku male and 1 sanke male. I tried to cull out for patterned fish and separate between sizes. I'd love to have a mudpond in my backyard but my mom would kill me
    Yup, I know that. Chang asked a question relating to the sizes of Koi being discussed and your video's/pictures were the only ones being discussed.

I'd love to have my own mudpond too For that matter, so would my wife Problem is, "good" water wells around here are hard to come by and municipal water rates are over the moon I do have friends with mudponds but they are CONFIRMED females only If you saw what happened the last time a male snuck into one you'd understand why

Tategoi
    I just started a new batch of koi fry. Got my first newborn today, the rest should start hatching tonight to 2 more days...
    Mother and 2 fathers are gold kois.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    I just started a new batch of koi fry. Got my first newborn today, the rest should start hatching tonight to 2 more days...
    Mother and 2 fathers are gold kois.
    Your fish are still spawning?? When did they? I thought they only did so in spring... How did u get them to? or was it an accident.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast