Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Breeding Plan....

Nisai

Exclamation My Breeding Plan....

Hi, I've been addicted to the koi hobby for about a year now... It's spring and now I've decided to try and breed them~

Currently, I have a 3,000 gallon pond and a 1,000 gallon INTEX pool as the breeding tank.... The tank is circulated with the main pond's filtered water.

I plan to spawn a female Showa 17" with two 16~18" Kohaku Males in the breeding tank. I have spawning materials set up around the edges and plan to set up aeration and sponge filters...

I also have a 3yr old female Sanke roughly similar size but I don't have any other big males. However, I have around 5 (showa, sanke, kohaku) males around 6~8 inches. **Are these males sexually mature?**

Also, I've heard from locals that koi usually breed around late april from where I live...

So, my questions are:

1) What would I need to do in terms of placement.. Should I put the females in the tank and then introduce the males later? Or put them all together?
    2) What is the best way to make them spawn, any tips?
    3) If I do get eggs, should I stop the water circulation from the main tank ( about 500gph)
    4) If my showa and kohaku's breed, will I get fry that are kohaku or showa, or both?
    5) Do you think I should put the female showa and sanke with the 2 Big males and other small males. Or would it be better to just have the female showa with 2 big male kohaku's alone in the breeding tank?

I'll attach some pictures to give you an idea..

Please leave your feedback!

Thanks,
    Danny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Breeding Plan....-showa-japan.jpg   My Breeding Plan....-sanke.jpg   My Breeding Plan....-phpmbwj8apm.jpg   My Breeding Plan....-phpdfnzjqpm.jpg   My Breeding Plan....-php0r75sepm.jpg  

My Breeding Plan....-phpj6buhspm.jpg   My Breeding Plan....-php2dendjpm.jpg  

Beautiful pond and koi! I just love looking at pictures of ponds and fish.

I don't know much but I'd ask someone knowledgable about the treated lumber over the Intex.

I don't breed intentionally but the koi have other ideas. Last year I threw some hyacinths in the pond and the koi went nuts. I did everything wrong. I pulled the egg-filled hyacinths out and dropped them in a bucket. THEN I filled a 50 gallon container with FRESH COLD water and tossed the hyacinths in.

Amazingly, I got hundreds of babies anyway though they took a really long time to hatch on account of our rainy, cold spring.

A lot of the babies disappeared. I don't know if something was eating them or they were getting washed out over the top of the stock tank during our torrential downpours.

More died over winter. Another lesson. Bring them in for winter.

I just gave the remainder away all but two I want to watch a little longer.

I always figure I'll leave the breeding to the experts with the proper facilities but it's a kick to get some babies every year; just enough to watch and see what comes out.

The two I kept are interesting. One is dark with bright yellow highlights (probably from the Kin Ki Utsuri) and the other looks like a Shusui (of which I have two) but the red is yellowy-orange.

I got a lot of Shusui looking babies. I'm interested to see how the zipper scales end up but I don't plan to raise these two, just watch them a little longer. So far, the zipper scales look perfect. Maybe they all do when they're that small.

I don't know what, if anything, you can take from this but there it is. I certainly don't recommend following my slap-stick example.

Anyway, good luck with the breeding. I hope you keep posting your efforts and results with lots of pictures! I hope you get some nice babies!

I really like your pond.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Nisai
    Thanks for the comments~ I love looking at pond pictures as well~

I'm a bit worried because my female showa isn't getting too plump... But my sanke female is a bit more round.... Anyways I hope I can breed them this year.... Because I'm a junior in high school and that means two springs(including this one) until I'm off to college =/

Anyways, I will definitely post more pics hopefully....

Nisai

Talking My fish spawned today

I'm quite surprised by the turn of events...
    After putting all the fish in for 2 days... female showa, sanke, + 2 male kohaku, sanke.

My sanke definetly spawned because she is so skinny now... like a male's body.

anyways there are a lot of eggs attatched to the spawning ropes..... but a lot of the eggs are free floating or on the bottom as well... Will these eggs hatch? also???

Im planning on ordering live daphnia and have hatched brine shrimp before...
    Any tips at this stage, would be appreciated...

Congratulations!

You already know my half-baked approach to breeding but I did use Melafix in the water because of fungus. I read somewhere the unfertilized eggs can get fungus and it will spread to the good eggs.

That's the limit of my knowledge. I just let the little guys eat algae that had developed over the loooooong wait for them to hatch during our cold, wet spring.

There is better stuff for them to eat though. You have to buy it.

Sorry if you already know this stuff.

It must be warm where you are. Still pretty chilly here in PA.

Nisai
    Thanks, I live in Atlanta, so temperatures are pretty high right now.
    I posted a video check it out, YouTube - Koi Spawn

You really should post these questions in the main board. This area is for the professional breeders and you probably won't get any answers here.

Smile Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    I'm quite surprised by the turn of events...
    After putting all the fish in for 2 days... female showa, sanke, + 2 male kohaku, sanke.

My sanke definetly spawned because she is so skinny now... like a male's body.

anyways there are a lot of eggs attatched to the spawning ropes..... but a lot of the eggs are free floating or on the bottom as well... Will these eggs hatch? also???

Im planning on ordering live daphnia and have hatched brine shrimp before...
    Any tips at this stage, would be appreciated...

The best thing I can suggest is green water. They don't eat for the first several days, then the food has to be microscopic. The green water also has a lot of microscopic organisms in it. I just had my first spawn hatch 4 days ago. The weather here in North Florida has had very cool mornings , so the hatch took 5 days and 3 more for them to be free swimming. But the water is pretty green and I have no plans of feeding any foods for at least 3 weeks. This is just my take and I am certainly not an expert. Just wanted to throw that your way as food for thought. Good luck!

WOW! I think my hatch took a month! It just kept raining and raining and it was cold too. I was about ready to dump the stock tank after giving it waaaay longer than necessary and by golly, there they were.

Actually, it probably didn't take a month but that's how long it took for me to see the babies with the naked eye since I need glasses to see up close. I put on my reading glasses and used a magnifying glass and there they were!

Patience is not one of my virtues

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    WOW! I think my hatch took a month! It just kept raining and raining and it was cold too. I was about ready to dump the stock tank after giving it waaaay longer than necessary and by golly, there they were.

Actually, it probably didn't take a month but that's how long it took for me to see the babies with the naked eye since I need glasses to see up close. I put on my reading glasses and used a magnifying glass and there they were!

I almost gave up on mine after waiting 5 to 7 days, but like yours all of a sudden they were there. Then it seemed like another 3 days for them to be free swimming. Today they seem to be deeper in the tank. later they will hang closer to the surface and I will be able to see them better. In the past I have had thousands for about 2 or 3 weeks then they mysteriously disappear. probably parasites, who knows.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast