Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me ALL I Need To Know

Tosai

Tell Me ALL I Need To Know

Hi I am 15 and i just opened my own business. And I HAVE to get my business going, So I am planning to breed my Sankes this summer. I have a pair of Sankes that are very nice. And I built a 8'x4.5'x4' breeding pond.
    Please tell me EVERYTHING I need to know about breeding these Koi like...
    1) When do I separate the males from the females?
    2) How long?
    3) Will they spawn on their own, or do I need to do a water change or what?
    4) What do i need to do with the fry after they hatch?
    5) Should I put them in a mud pond, or leave them in the 8x'4.5'x4' breeding pond?, I have a mud pond if you think that will be better.
    6) And what brand of food is best to raise High Quality Fry?
    7) Is this pond big enough to breed Koi in?
    And I am wondering 1 more thing, Please tell me how you think this male sanke would do in a Koi show in S.C.

PLEASE HURRY and leave you feedback.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell Me ALL I Need To Know-new-sanke-02.jpg  
    Last edited by koda2465; 04-28-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot to write something

Kid, If your sanke female is mature enough, perhaps two or three years old, then she may be interested in spawning soon. If you want to know who the parent fish are then you will want to put them together when she seems so inclined. Spawning fish is not particularly difficult, you can easily get 100,000 eggs or more, what is difficult is raising them and finding the needle in the haystack, if indeed there is a needle in that haystack. There are many threads on this site and others that deal with spawning and raising koi. The more you read before you do the better off you’ll be. One thing you’ll find as you read is that it is very hard to make money with koi. If nothing else your competition has a 50 year head start. You should go to the AKCA website and find a club in your area. Attend a meeting or just call one of the people likely listed on their webpage, it will be a big help. There are a couple of koi farms in NC, contact them, go visit, work there for a summer, good luck.

Tategoi
    It's very easy making money from koi. Just come buy mine and resale them. Just like that! Simple huh.

In breeding koi, the hardess part is to raise the fry. So, a koi farm is all about raising fry because that is where it all starts. Pick, choosing and selling is the easy part. Again, just come buy mine and resell them. It's that easy.

Tosai

Spawning, Crawdads, And Culling

Hi I have filled my breeding tank up for this year. I am getting everything ready for summer. Does anyone just happen to know how to get crawdads and minnows out of a mud pond??? There is a lot of them. And thanks for the advice. How do I cull Sanke and Kohaku fry???? I just want to make sure i am doing it right. And what do i look for as far as pattern in young Sanke and Kohaku???
    Thanks

Ahhhhh the joy of breeding sanke...

it's a piece of cake breeding quality sanke.

Ask Brett how you can be a millionaire raising sanke, he'll tell you.

Tosai
    WOW! I like the sound of that. HA HA. Well How should i cull the fry?

Tategoi
    Hey Brett,
    I want to be a $1,000,000 too. So can I borrow one sanke. Maybe 2.$$$$

You are joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    You are joking, right?
    Sandy, you know what's scary, I don't think he is.

Ryan, I think you're right.

Before you jump in and expect to start a business breeding koi, you should do a lot more research. People can't give you the answers online. Breeders that have been breeding for years haven't perfected it.

You asked about showing a fish in SC. You can't have a koi business and show. It's against the rules.

Where did you get your Oyagoi? How old are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast