Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: aquaponics in Tokyo

Fry

aquaponics in Tokyo

Hello Aquaponicers
    My Name is Alfred and i am very interested about Aquaponics in Japan.If your in japan i would like to exchange infos about Aquaponics with Koi.
    I am a newcomer in this Forum and i can speak japanese but i can not read japanese.
    Would be nice to hear from you.
    Thank you Alfred

Well Alfred, most of the members here neither speak NOR read Japanese either, so don't feel alone Ours is a very "International" forum. More Americans than anywhere else, but many from Europe, Africa, and S.E. Asia as well.

You might have better luck with your question if you post it in the main forum. We have a few members here who are similarly interested in Aquaponics and a couple who have some hands on experience as well.

Daihonmei
    See Takashi Amano for plants and cultured fish. Koi are large scale production items and only algae is used to produce the best fish.
    momotaro *( a high end producer) used to use floating plants in rearing but as much for cover and protection from predation as much as to 'sweeten' and 'mellow' the grow out water environment. JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    See Takashi Amano for plants and cultured fish. Koi are large scale production items and only algae is used to produce the best fish.
    momotaro *( a high end producer) used to use floating plants in rearing but as much for cover and protection from predation as much as to 'sweeten' and 'mellow' the grow out water environment. JR
    Hi Jim,
    Which water plants? I have a great opportunity this comming summer with a few mud ponds for my breeding endeavor, I don't have the cash for coverage so a good water plant would be awesome, serves two purposes, feed and shelter. Very interested as to which plant to go with
    Thanks
    Ben

Daihonmei
    Hi Ben, any of the 'classic floaters. Momotaro used to use them on all his outdorr ponds until he got them 'caged in' some years ago now. Any of the water lettuce and varieties that produce an air filled leaf variety that also have roots that suspend in open water ( like a hydroponic natural). They tend to cover the surface and provide shade, shelter from predators and darin a percentage of nitrates. Just don't expect them to remove all. best, JR

PS if I get a chance I will scan and post pictures of Momotaro's old pond designs with plants.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Hi Ben, any of the 'classic floaters. Momotaro used to use them on all his outdorr ponds until he got them 'caged in' some years ago now. Any of the water lettuce and varieties that produce an air filled leaf variety that also have roots that suspend in open water ( like a hydroponic natural). They tend to cover the surface and provide shade, shelter from predators and darin a percentage of nitrates. Just don't expect them to remove all. best, JR

PS if I get a chance I will scan and post pictures of Momotaro's old pond designs with plants.
    Could you try and find the pic of momotaros pond designs, I'm about 1.5-2 weeks out to begin my breeding venture and would love to see a real deal design. Thanks a million
    Ben