Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Video of 2011 Koi Fry

Nisai

Video of 2011 Koi Fry

Last edited by Brian; 07-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    That's a good hatch! What do the parents look like?

Sunny

When it comes time to cull... what percentage of the fry do you plan to cull?

Tategoi
    Do you have any updates on this batch? And how is the backyard breeding thing going for you? Can you show us your best backyard koi?

My best one got stollen at a friends ponds. Poor me, I gave it to him to ensure it's growth. But if I ever see it, I know it's mine. I kept a few culls, but I got rid of them now.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Do you have any updates on this batch? And how is the backyard breeding thing going for you? Can you show us your best backyard koi?

My best one got stollen at a friends ponds. Poor me, I gave it to him to ensure it's growth. But if I ever see it, I know it's mine. I kept a few culls, but I got rid of them now.
    Hi chang,

Unfortunately I sold all the good ones to others. I did have some pictures of them in my old external hard drive, but the hard drive crashed and broke... I will try to get some videos/pictures of this years results. How have you been doing with your breeding? You have access to a mudpond? How and where?

Tategoi
    Hi chang,

Unfortunately I sold all the good ones to others. I did have some pictures of them in my old external hard drive, but the hard drive crashed and broke... I will try to get some videos/pictures of this years results. How have you been doing with your breeding? You have access to a mudpond? How and where?
    I have family that does the rice field thing, so I took one of the small rice field and dug it up to be my mud pond. It's not very professional right now, but it works. It's about 2'-3' and 6' in some spots. The mudpond is located in NC.

This year I breed in a mud pond and a Great Blue Heroin came everyday to eat from Aug to Oct. I only had 63.8 kois left when I harvested. My biggest koi was 8"-9"+, and smallest was 4". Not bad for 3.9 months. Only 5.8 or so white base koi was left when I harvest. I didn't keep the .8 koi. I breed a Sanke and longfin yamabuki, only 1 sanke tancho made it. I also lost the male sanke to the GBH. I'm still using the magoi as my female because I don't have a better female. I don't know what I'm going to do in 2013. Maybe breed again or I might just buy some tosai and grow them. If I am able to get some real tosai, they should all grow to be in the range of 16"-20"+ by the end of the season. But if I do breed, I'm not going to harvest them until spring. This seems to be a trend in USA since no one really buys tosai during winter.

I just got done digging my pond at home as well so I can now grow koi at home. It's actually cheaper for me to use the mudpond. For under $2000, I have access to a 80'x60' mud pond. This includes the cheap aquamax 300 food that I feed them. It works really well and I cannot find any in GA. Next year if I do use this mud pond, I'm going to install the automatic feeder and string the pond with fishing line. If I have time, I'll dig it up some more.

You should almost be done with college right?
    Akitsushima Tombo