Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Momotaro a breeder?

Nisai

Is Momotaro a breeder?

Hello

This is my first post and i am very green to this hobby. Pardon me if i say anything really silly.

I am thinking of buying the book KOI 1 on Go-sanke species, i notice in the list of breeders that the name Momotaro is not there. I thought Momotaro is producing most of the champion koi and is regarded as one of the best. Why is his name omited? Isnt he a breeder?

Thanks
    Mingaun

Yes, he is a breeder. He is known for producing high quality sanke that have the potential to reach 100 cm. Their are other prominent breeders in Japan. Their are some people on this board that directly deal with him. They can add a couple more inputs to your search for knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Usually breeders who have established their lines for 10 years are in general a breeder. I cant tell you why it isnt in the book, maybe he was missed?

Nisai
    Few more questions..

1. Momotaro koi's seems to be the rave because of their size. Is this size influence by his water quality, feeding techniques, pond volume or more because of their genes? The reason i ask this is for a hobbyist like me who is hoping to grow a koi that is big and retain its beauty, i should at least get the genes right. Now if it is true that Momotaro koi has those genes then they are my best bet. However my gut feeling is that his koi's are big because of his growing techniques. His tosai and nisai is achieving a phenomenal growth rate but i am wondering if after a few years that this growth will sort of slow down and have the same growth pattern as the rest of the breeders like Sakai. If this is true then his koi's genes are not superior to that of a Sakai for size purposes.

2. How would you compare a Momotaro and Sakai in the Go-sanke variety? This question was ask few years back and many went for Sakai, but times could have changed.

3. Why in the world is Momotaro koi so expensive? Are they really much more superior than others. In my area they are a lot more expensive than the Sakai.

Any info is much needed

thank you.
    Mingaun

Momotaro's produces high quality sanke. Sakai Fish Farm produces high quality kohaku. And Dainichi produces high quality showa. The most expensive producer is probably Sakai and Momotaro.

Mingaun,
    Where are you from?
    Michael

Nisai
    Hi Michael I am from Malaysia.

I have a pond in construction that is pretty small but thats all i can get. It is about 6 by 5 by 4 feet depth. Hoping to rear three high quality koi - kohaku, sanke and showa. I have a Momotaro dealer that is just opposite my workplace and that is what got me attracted to Momotaro.

I have been reading a lot about this hobby and truly enjoy it. The best part i like about it is the ability to see the koi slowly developed into its full potential, whatever that may be. I plan to get three males as they are supposedly easier to take care and cheaper by a mile.

Just dont know if i should get all Momotaro or look at others.

Thanks for all your contributions. I have learnt a fair bit from this forum and all of you seems like nice folks which makes it easy for newbie like me. I will be asking a lot more questions as my pond construction nears its completion. Sorry if you all notice i start many threads.

Regards
    Mingaun

Fry
    hi mingaun

i wouldn't get all momotaro, there are plenty of breeder's out there that have parent stock in the 90+cm range .
    At the min the craze seem's to be size, size and more size , not saying that momotaro dosn't breed quality , just that his fish demand a higher price and for what ...size !

Its all down to prefrence , as you can see by my user name i'm a big fan of the breeder ogawa . omosako's shiro's are to die for and sakuma sanke are just something else !!!
    the list go'es on and on . it realy depends on what your looking for in a koi . take a good look around as your taste in koi will be totaly your's . there are somany good topline breeder's to choose from .
    At the minute in the uk , if you put momotaro infront , behind or somewhere in the discription you can double the price !!!
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by ogawa only View Post
    hi mingaun

i wouldn't get all momotaro, there are plenty of breeder's out there that have parent stock in the 90+cm range .
    At the min the craze seem's to be size, size and more size , not saying that momotaro dosn't breed quality , just that his fish demand a higher price and for what ...size !

Its all down to prefrence , as you can see by my user name i'm a big fan of the breeder ogawa . omosako's shiro's are to die for and sakuma sanke are just something else !!!
    the list go'es on and on . it realy depends on what your looking for in a koi . take a good look around as your taste in koi will be totaly your's . there are somany good topline breeder's to choose from .
    At the minute in the uk , if you put momotaro infront , behind or somewhere in the discription you can double the price !!!
    steve
    Steve,
    What you said are all true!!!! Momotaro jumbos demand for a very high price even Sakai of Hiroshima. As well as Dainichi. And their are also breeders that use their bloodline as well.
    Michael

Nisai
    Thanks Steve and Michael

Appreciate all your thoughts and advise. I agree with what both of you have said. I will seriusly look around. Only problem is sometimes it is difficult to strike a friendship with a dealer whom you can trust. This Momotaro dealer is building my pond for me and he is very easy going. It is very tough just to walk up to a dealer and ask for help, besides i am a beginner and probably just be ignored I have read as much as i can about fish but feel pressured to choose in front of all these so called expert. I like to analyse the fish the way i have been taught to from the internet but afraid that these experts will make me feel like a fool. I am not sure if any of you remember your first koi trip but at this point being a beginner it is scary, embarassing and daunting.

I think i need to start another thread as this thread is being side tracked by myself.

I will keep u all informed.

thanks again
    Mingaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast