Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Spawning day

Tosai

Question Spawning day

when do koi fish tend to spawn? what month or what triggers them to start spawning? My fishes don't seem to be interested in spawning now, even though we have a lot of male fishes and only about 2-3 females. 1 is currently bulging pregnant right now.

I need tips, because i'm going to let my fishes breed naturally. i expect them to lay their eggs in the rocks and clay pots i put in, so they won't be able to eat the eggs. I have only 12 kois. so i think i would be able to take the eggs out in time.

i need tips on caring for the frys and i want to know more about when koi fish spawn. do they like warm waters? rainy seasons? etc...

i'm new to this. I have NEVER done any breeding. But once an egg survived until its very big koi fish now. don't know how that happen! it just survived and we noticed it when it was big. they was a real big fluke. so if i help the eggs, i probably make more fishes survive right?

There is no certain month that they spawn. Water temps above 65-70 and a large water change will usually inspire them.

Do you have facilities to raise fry? They need a separate pond. Once they start growing, is your pond large enough to hold them?

Fry are a lot of work.

Allowing them to spawn in the pond is not a good idea. First, you will have what is sometimes called a "flock spawn" meaning the fish will all be poor grade pond mutts. The only way to insure even a reasonable chance at some half-way decent fish is to match trios (one female, two smaller males) of the same variety or compatable varieties.

spawning in your pond will also make a horrible mess of your water quality. Ammonia levels will shoot up, the water quality gets bad in a hurry. Spawning should be done in a separate pond.

Spawning fish in a pond with clay pots and rocks can cause her serious damage and death. Spawning is rough, females are bashed into the pond sides and into any obstrutions. She can be badly damaged or killed, another reason spawning needs to take place n a suitable place.

Dont count on being able to get the eggs out. They stick to everything in sight and most will be eaten by the koi.

How big is your pond....and how large are the koi?

Tosai
    my koi pond is 4m x 4m. Thx for the tip! i'll try to get a pond.

I want more inf. too, cause my tango kohaku spawn last sunday morning, we find out saturday night and that's when we separate with the male to the quarantine tank and now she's back in the reg. pond and we're trying to see if the eggs going to survive and have fry, don't know cause like the first post, we're new in this and would be our first experience but want to learn from this one and trying to do our best, hope someone can give us some tips and ideas. Didn't know about the right male we need to choose and @ that moment we choose the one that we're chasing her, was a light yamabuki ogon, blue shusui and black with orange belly, now let's what we're going to see from that spawning

ZULMA.........

Zulma, Don’t worry about the parentage of your eggs at this point. If she released her eggs with the males around her then the eggs are fertilized. The fish will eat most of the eggs unless you separate them. If you have an aquarium put about 50 eggs into 20 gallons of water with a few plants. Get some artificial rotifers (about $7) and a sponge filter (at AES). Any eggs that get white and fuzzy are best removed. The others will hatch in 3 or 4 days and the fry will sink at first. When their yolk sac is used up and they have filled their swim bladders they are ready to eat. Feed them a very small amount of the artificial rotifers. Ammonia won’t be a problem for a while, but careful 10% a day water change is good at first and more later as they grow. You should be able to raise 20-40 in this tank to over 1” long, you will be amazed at how fast they grow. Watch out for the biggest fry because they may eat the smaller ones. It is often said that the smaller ones turn out to be the better ones. When the ones you want to keep are over an inch long you can move them to a bigger pond or even put them in with your other fish.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Zulma, Don’t worry about the parentage of your eggs at this point. If she released her eggs with the males around her then the eggs are fertilized. The fish will eat most of the eggs unless you separate them. If you have an aquarium put about 50 eggs into 20 gallons of water with a few plants. Get some artificial rotifers (about $7) and a sponge filter (at AES). Any eggs that get white and fuzzy are best removed. The others will hatch in 3 or 4 days and the fry will sink at first. When their yolk sac is used up and they have filled their swim bladders they are ready to eat. Feed them a very small amount of the artificial rotifers. Ammonia won’t be a problem for a while, but careful 10% a day water change is good at first and more later as they grow. You should be able to raise 20-40 in this tank to over 1” long, you will be amazed at how fast they grow. Watch out for the biggest fry because they may eat the smaller ones. It is often said that the smaller ones turn out to be the better ones. When the ones you want to keep are over an inch long you can move them to a bigger pond or even put them in with your other fish.
    Thanks for the inf. Rob, already bought the artificial rotifers plus blood worms, we're ready to see some fishies, but so far nothing and eggs still there, I guess is a good sign, again thanks